Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
When does a new Member become "Established"
and able to send over five PMs / Private Messages per 24 hours?

Issue: Post handling and restrictions affecting very new members.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Very new members are limited as to how many Private Messages, or "PMs", they can send; the limit is 5 PMs per 24 hours. This has been done because we have had people who have signed up to abuse the system in some way, sometimes manifested by sending members harassing PMs or with offers or other activity prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules, and our members' privacy is very important to us. The post from a prior Administrator states:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Note: Very new members of FlyerTalk may see posts referred to a moderation queue for moderator inspection and disposition if those posts meet certain criteria; that issue is dealt with in another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html

We apologise for any temporary inconveniences this may cause; they're temporary, and made necessary based on experience and some bad actors' misbehavior.

Print Wikipost

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:28 am

Great, thanks for clearing it up for me!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ok, I was wondering how can I become established member, now I know the answer, just need to contribute more
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
IMHO that's not always wise as taking the thread discussion off topic is not fair to all members who are reading it. Why not use email instead to communicate with other members? It's not ideal but will work until poster can become "established".
I reached my 5 messages daily limit, is there any way to send email through Ft to other users instead pm?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by napolivola
I reached my 5 messages daily limit, is there any way to send email through Ft to other users instead pm?
If you go to the member's profile page, there should be an option to send a message via e-mail.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
If you go to the member's profile page, there should be an option to send a message via e-mail.
Thanks,

but i still don't see any option in member's profile page more than send privare message to xxx
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by napolivola
Thanks,

but i still don't see any option in member's profile page more than send privare message to xxx
Each member selects whether to permit PMs and/or emails. The member you want to contact has apparently only chosen to receive PMs.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by scoow
Each member selects whether to permit PMs and/or emails. The member you want to contact has apparently only chosen to receive PMs.
Thanks scoow,

actually my problem is gone, i reached 16 posts, but i think this thread could be helpful to other newbies.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Increasing PM limit?

Hey guys!

I joined recently and just realised there's a limit imposed on private messages for new users. Would it be possible to increase the PM limit? I found a really obscure BRG that I managed to claim, and would love to share it with other users via PMs so it won't be too obvious, but I wouldn't be able to do so with the limit.

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 9:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We'll merge this thread into the existing Technical Issues one for consistency.

There is really no way to increase the PM limit until you meet the criteria as an established member (in the PM case, fifteen constructive posts, see above), as it is part of our protocols to keep spammers and other malefactors from signing up for FT and using the system for unallowed purposes.

As a new member, you may feel frustrated by the limits, but you are also a beneficiary by enjoying greater privacy and fewer intrusive requests and potential scam messages.

JDiver
senior moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 18, 2013 at 9:24 am Reason: update after completing merge
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA Mileage Plus, IHG Rewards Club
Originally Posted by JDiver
We'll merge this thread into the existing Technical Issues one for consistency.

There is really no way to increase the PM limit until you meet the criteria as an established member (in the PM case, fifteen constructive posts, see above), as it is part of our protocols to keep spammers and other malefactors from signing up for FT and using the system for unallowed purposes.

As a new member, you may feel frustrated by the limits, but you are also a beneficiary by enjoying greater privacy and fewer intrusive requests and potential scam messages.

JDiver
senior moderator
Duly noted! You're absolutely right, I would indeed hate to receive scam messages.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:58 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<---- You can also just left-click on a members name in their post and their available contact options will be listed

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by IBobi
If you have under 15 posts you can only send 5/day.

Paul
Thank you! I hope the real spammers won't make it this far in their research
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by missydarlin
<---- You can also just left-click on a members name in their post and their available contact options will be listed
Oh you're right. That's been there all along, too, hasn't it
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:34 pm

Great site and search function led me here.

Loving it so far and can't wait to get some of these PMs answered. Excited I found the site.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: United
Hi -

I just ran into the PM limit as well. Would love to see it lifted for folks who are demonstrably not spam bots, but I can understand the rationale.

I'm involved in some time sensitive conversations now - can an admin help me out? Already wrote a message on contact us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.