Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Give us a call when FlyerTalk resumes, so sick of the ads!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give us a call when FlyerTalk resumes, so sick of the ads!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 3:57 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I've stopped seeing ads. I don't have anything premium. Is this 1) something going on at FT, 2) some system parameter that has been put in by my own IT that I'm not aware of, 3) Some setting I have messed up, or 4) something else?

At the bottom of every thread that is more than one page, it says, "Failed to Connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ad.doubleclick.net.
Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable"

That's in Firefox. In explorer, it says " Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.
What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems
More information"
but clicking on any of that doesn't do anything.

This has been happening for more than a week.

Other than these "error" messages, there is no obvious loss of functionality,
but you never know.
Old May 7, 2009, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by sosafan
I've stopped seeing ads. I don't have anything premium. Is this 1) something going on at FT, 2) some system parameter that has been put in by my own IT that I'm not aware of, 3) Some setting I have messed up, or 4) something else?

At the bottom of every thread that is more than one page, it says, "Failed to Connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ad.doubleclick.net.
Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable"

That's in Firefox. In explorer, it says " Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.
What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems
More information"
but clicking on any of that doesn't do anything.

This has been happening for more than a week.

Other than these "error" messages, there is no obvious loss of functionality,
but you never know.
Doubleclick serves our ads, so if something on your end is blocking access to doubleclick, then you won't see ads. It is not a change in FT and it's not a problem with doubleclick (because most others are still seeing them).
Old May 7, 2009, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Tim at WebFlyer
If you are seeing them there but not in the forums that would likely be the case. I'll forward a link to this thread on to my contact at IB and see if they can comment on that.
What's with that Red Delta I think Amex banner that is displayed ... it covers over the My Flyertalk bubble. Very obnoxious!

I see the ad as well and I'm premium, but I'm pretty sure the agreement was inside the site, not on that homepage.
Old May 13, 2009, 2:15 pm

I'm not premium. I don't mind the ads, I ignore them. But what does get my goat is when the stupid ad servers hold the flyertalk content hostage. By that I mean how the text doesn't display until after the ads are displayed.... and the stupid ad servers are so busy that the browser just hangs there with a blank screen... waiting for doubleclick.net. Or waiting for internetbrands.com. That really ticks me off.

It happens practically daily, generally around lunchtime but really at all hours of the day. I'm always clicking on the browser's stop button and then reload because I get so impatient with this stuff. If your click rates seem too high, that may be the cause.
Old May 23, 2009, 7:44 pm

One question to those that hate ads. Why do you hate ads? Someone has to pay to keep the forum going. Imagine the hosting bill with a forum that is home to over 100,000 members, and even if this forum is running on it's own private server, imagine the light bill?

Look at another aviation website (the one with the airplane pictures...the blue one), they ask their members to pay $5 a month if they want to post something on their forums witha few other features. Surprisingly enough, a lot of people pay those $5.

You ask people to donate, hardly anyone does. The PayPal button just sits there and collects dust. "Ah, next time I'll donate, let the next person donate for me")

You put ads, these harmless ads that are just there, no one likes them.

So how is the forum suppose to remain free? Those Geocities, free hosting days are over. Just the software to run this forum is like $200 plus all these fancy ad ons which require a yearly fee.

I know I'm a newb, relax those are my 2 cents.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GoingAway
What's with that Red Delta I think Amex banner that is displayed ... it covers over the My Flyertalk bubble. Very obnoxious!
I agree, as well as w/jcwoman's comments above.

I also see there's a new ad today from AM/PM that, despite immediately clicking on the close button, re-opens itself repeatedly. I get that the ad revenue supports this site, but come on-if the user clicks the close button, then the $&#*@ ad should close, not keep re-opening or not close at all, which I've seen w/some others (not necessarily here on FT).

BTW-what do we have to do to make sure FT never ever even thinks about putting one of those 'expanding' ads on this site? Talk about annoying & holding the content hostage!! Why do marketing people seem to think they will generate any business or interest by making their ads as obnoxious & intrusive as possible??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.