Numerous Problems With Site April 9, 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Numerous Problems With Site April 9, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I’m still getting kicked out of my login session for no apparent reason.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Such rebuilds are a standard background task that's part of vBulletin. Running it on a DB with 10M posts while the system is live would take quite a while. I don't envy the folks who have to keep a board the size of FT functioning.
This is exactly correct, and they can't all be ran at the same time, as it would bring down the system (especially with the forum still up). The thread information should now be correct (views and number of posts in threads) and we are working on repairing the user profiles, including user titles.

Originally Posted by ajamieson
I presume this is the reason why old but still-current threads (such as FAQs) appear to have reverted to versions last updated months ago? I went to update an FAQ this morning and was horrified to discover all of the editing work over recent weeks has vanished!
This might be an actual data loss. Can you PM me some more speficic information about some of the edits you've made? We should be able to revert them to about 12 hours before the data loss. Anything in that 12 hour window, however, might be gone.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I don't see this mentioned above but I've lost ad-free FT. I'm guessing it is because my Insider Flyer subscription was renewed in January (my subscriptions showing threads from then)? Needless to say on this slow connection FT + ads is crawling.
I'm assuming this will be fixed with the user title update. If not, I will investigate when the update is complete.

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I’m still getting kicked out of my login session for no apparent reason.
This is more than likely because the session table was messed up. Please clear you FT cookies and re-log in. This should fix the problem, at least for now. Later in the day we will have to reset mysql, which will result in a very short downtime and at that point you might have to do it again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question

How about the Ad's can you make those go away?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
I'm still missing about 4000 posts from my profile (and I was so close to being an evangelist like Dov!).
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by skofarrell
I'm still missing about 4000 posts from my profile (and I was so close to being an evangelist like Dov!).
I hereby officially authorize FlyerTalk and/or any of its reps to subtract 20,000 posts from my profile and transfer them to skofarrell.

Oops, I just saw that about 9,000 of my posts are already missing -- so just subtract 11,000 and give them to him.

Last edited by Dovster; Apr 10, 2009 at 1:14 pm Reason: Noticed my reduced post count.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Dovster
I hereby officially authorize FlyerTalk and/or any of its reps to subtract 20,000 posts from my profile and transfer them to skofarrell.

Oops, I just saw that about 9,000 of my posts are already missing -- so just subtract 11,000 and give them to him.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by BDLORD
How about the Ad's can you make those go away?
We are working on the issues.

Originally Posted by Dovster
When updating the counters, user post numbers were re calculated based on the number of active posts in the database. This usually makes people's posts drop because of posts they've made in deleted threads. If this is a terrible displacement for anyone, we can update their count from the backup database.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
I believe my post count was correct up till my most recent post about 1 hour ago. Sometime between then and now, I lost about 50 post. last time I check, I was much closer to 2900.

I thought IB is working on the db and bringing back the data, instead of deleting more.

Is this missing post count part of the 12-hour window of data loss IB-Dick is referring to?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
When updating the counters, user post numbers were re calculated based on the number of active posts in the database. This usually makes people's posts drop because of posts they've made in deleted threads. If this is a terrible displacement for anyone, we can update their count from the backup database.
In this case I believe the count problem is related to the number of posts members made in OMNI before it was decided they would no longer be counted. The change was made last year.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
When updating the counters, user post numbers were re calculated based on the number of active posts in the database. This usually makes people's posts drop because of posts they've made in deleted threads.
As far as I know, back when everything was working, if a thread (or post) was deleted by the mod, it wouldn't be counted. It had always been like that.

Are you saying there's a "different" kind of deleted threads now?

ETA:
OMNIites just figured it out.

It's not about deleted threads. It's about the OMNI post count. IBB you guys really don't get how big the OMNI post count is to some OMNIites.

Last edited by lin821; Apr 10, 2009 at 2:03 pm
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by lin821
I believe my post count was correct up till my most recent post about 1 hour ago. Sometime between then and now, I lost about 50 post. last time I check, I was much closer to 2900.

I thought IB is working on the db and bringing back the data, instead of deleting more.

Is this missing post count part of the 12-hour window of data loss IB-Dick is referring to?
We are NOT deleting data. We ran an update that recalculated post counts. No information was deleted.

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
In this case I believe the count problem is related to the number of posts members made in OMNI before it was decided they would no longer be counted. The change was made last year.
You are correct.

Originally Posted by lin821
As far as I know, back when everything was working, if a thread (or post) was deleted by the mod, it wouldn't be counted. It had always been like that.

Are you saying there's a "different" kind of deleted threads now?

ETA:
OMNIites just figured it out.

It's not about deleted threads. It's about the OMNI post count. IBB you guys really don't get how big the OMNI post count is to some OMNIites.
In previous versions of vB, this was not the case. In recent versions, deleted posts are removed from post counts.

Us IB guys DO understand how important post counts are to some people, which is why we plan on updating them off the backup as soon as we get everything else fixed.

This was unfortunately necessary. The only other option after the corruption was to reload a backup from 12 hours back, losing a half day of posts.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

It is not at all a problem for me. I am embarrassed by my obscenely high posts per day count. It reveals the fact that I have to get a life. Now that these posts have disappeared, I am down to 7.72 ppd which is still bad, but nowhere near what it was.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
We are NOT deleting data. We ran an update that recalculated post counts. No information was deleted.

In previous versions of vB, this was not the case. In recent versions, deleted posts are removed from post counts.
Let me know if you fixing the post count back to normal routine. Is that something wrong the post count, am I correct? So this is reason why I have 8,299 posts by last night. So however, just to be patient if tech supportable will expected to have fixed the webpages. So please give it time to needing fixable the FTs.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:41 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
FWIW, I apparently haven't visited since Jan 3, 09 at 10:47am, and have the usual message telling me it's been noticed that I haven't posted for a while. So whatever it was, it still ain't fixed yet. Good luck to the technos working on this, and thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
FWIW, I apparently haven't visited since Jan 3, 09 at 10:47am, and have the usual message telling me it's been noticed that I haven't posted for a while. So whatever it was, it still ain't fixed yet. Good luck to the technos working on this, and thanks.
Everyone will continue to see this error the first time they log in since the data corruption. The only way to fix this would be too taxing on the system. We understand that it's distracting, but it will go away.

We are working on fixing the remaining issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.