Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy forum order

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Crazy forum order

Why is it that the Thai Air forum is after the Turkish Air forum?
Why is it that the Alaska Air forum is after the Alitalia forum?
Why is it that the Emirates forum is after the Finnair forum?
Just what sort alphabetical sorting is being used or is it random and just appears to be semi-alphabetical?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:56 am

We're just keeping you on your toes

The administration of the forum listings is one part of the software that could stand for some updating. The semi-alphabetical listing is actually all done manually with display order numbering in the back end, and sometimes when we input two or more forums with the same display order number, crazy ordering results (as you have seen).

The oddities you mentioned have been fixed, but please do let us know if you run across any others.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Oh. Well in that case I want to request the Emirates forum be moved so it's not next to the El Al forum.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 2:17 pm
Suspended

And if you've got any sense of humour you will leave the above post intact.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Thanks for updating it! Not that I care, but I did notice the Discontinued Programs/Partners forums are a bit out of whack also.

Independence Air and Reno Air are out of sequence.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Stefano Fenton
And if you've got any sense of humour you will leave the above post intact.
Looks like the joke is on you...
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
We're just keeping you on your toes
Don't insult us with a smiley.

Get your act together.

Nothing I have tried today from searching to digging down through forums has worked.

Sell it for me the few $$$ that you have reduced it to and I will find people to make it work that won't need to post smileys or that FT is a tough crowd.

Just pathetic.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have discovered that the defaults that we were all happy with when registered on to FT are not the defaults that IBB is implementing. That may explain many problems but is still no excuse for IBB not informing us that we had to go and change our settings.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
What Defaults?

Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
I have discovered that the defaults that we were all happy with when registered on to FT are not the defaults that IBB is implementing. That may explain many problems but is still no excuse for IBB not informing us that we had to go and change our settings.
This is off-topic but can you tell me what defaults were you referring to? Do you mean the Options under our profiles?

I didn't know the defaults options could affect the search (under)performance.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me it involved changing show "default threads" to changing it to showing "all threads". IBB changed the default from "all" to the last 14 days.

Not a problem in most forums, but certainly a problem in less frequented forums.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
For me it involved changing show "default threads" to changing it to showing "all threads". IBB changed the default from "all" to the last 14 days.
I don't recall if I changed it or the system defaulted it. Mine is currently set to "show all threads." I am not sure if this setting has anything to do with search feature either. It makes sense if it does though.

But still when I performed (key words) searches in the last couple weeks, I would see a funny phenomenon which I called "date jump" ( or FT Search Time Machine ). The results could be dated back as early as 1999. Sometimes it seems there's nothing happened between 2005 through 2007. I recall seeing search result with 5 or 7 threads, dated 2008, 2001, & 1999. Didn't know I could have used such rarely used "key" words that nobody had used in mid-2000s.

FWIW, this issue may fit better with either the Search Update thread or Search Problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.