Wiki Posts
Search

Search is absolutely useless.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by BearX220
I'm not crazy about the ads (especially the broken ones that crash IE) but prefer them to paying for FT. At the end of the day this is a free resource to us, and while it is sometimes a train wreck operationally, I think it's ungracious of members to stomp their feet and complain as if they were paying top dollar for services not received.
It certainly is not free. I don't consider looking at ads to be free. Make no mistake; IBB makes lots of money off of us. Whether that comes from charging our credit cards are forcing us to look at ads, they get their money.

And the problem isn't so much that people are complaining and stomping their feet. The problem is that ever since IBB took over this place has gone to the crapper from a technical perspective. When Randy was running things we had glitches, but nothing like inoperable search for months...
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
It certainly is not free. I don't consider looking at ads to be free.
Psychologically or spiritually, perhaps not. Financially, if you don't click through to the ads: yes it is. It's as free as FM radio -- or do you consider that listening to the radio costs you money because they play ads every so often?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:10 am

Psychologically or spiritually, perhaps not. Financially, if you don't click through to the ads: yes it is.
Wrong. Web hosts can get paid for both click-throughs and views, depending on how they've structured their contract.

It's as free as FM radio -- or do you consider that listening to the radio costs you money because they play ads every so often?
Who said anything about money? The FM radio costs time, annoyance, etc.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Web hosts can get paid for both click-throughs and views, depending on how they've structured their contract.
Not out of your pocket.

What business model for FT would you prefer?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 9:38 am

Not out of your pocket.

What business model for FT would you prefer?
No different business model. I'd just prefer folks don't refer to its use as being "free."
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
And the problem isn't so much that people are complaining and stomping their feet. The problem is that ever since IBB took over this place has gone to the crapper from a technical perspective. When Randy was running things we had glitches, but nothing like inoperable search for months...
I dont know that I would go that far. There has always been some technical glitches with FT before and after IBB. The change to the search though is a complete embarrassment. Even if it is working it is one of the worst search functions I have ever used. I never thought I would say I liked the old search feature....until we got this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.