Community
Wiki Posts
Search

User-friendly web addresses

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Thumbs up User-friendly web addresses

I just noticed FT is now using vBSEO, which uses the Apache server's ReWrite engine to turn forum & post numbers into friendlier (and Google-able) web addresses.

One question/issue, however: Why are you choosing to include the forum # in the titles, e.g.
instead of
If you omit the forum numbers, a user can type the URL for almost any forum from memory -- makes it a lot easier to navigate sometimes.

The catch is that you have to be sure you have no real directory name that will resolve a forum name. It also doesn't accommodate identical subforum names under higher-level forums.

Personally I feel the bit of extra work to ensure unique forum names is worth the quite user-friendly URL's that you get for the forums. You can send someone a link to a forum that's easily read and memorized instead gobbledygook numbers.

(And yes, I fully realize that the real motivation for adopting vBSEO is financial. ^ )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.