Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappearing posts?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
Am I just really stupid? I see no Delete button.
Must be the same glitch that Mrs. Cholula experienced. When I opt to edit an OMNI or OMNI/PR post, I am given the following options:
SAVE * GO ADVANCED * DELETE * CANCEL
Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Must be the same glitch that Mrs. Cholula experienced. When I opt to edit an OMNI or OMNI/PR post, I am given the following options:
SAVE * GO ADVANCED * DELETE * CANCEL
Strange, I just get SAVE * GO ADVANCED * CANCEL

I wonder if it's because I'm one of the new Omni members who did not fulfill the former minimum requirements, which the software may be tied to.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:05 pm

I wonder if it's because I'm one of the new Omni members who did not fulfill the former minimum requirements, which the software may be tied to.
Since it appears that also describes Mrs Cholula's situation, I'd say it's a good guess. But then again, what do I know? That's quite a few words strung together; it may be over my head.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SkeptiCallie
I was commenting (or thought that I was) that posts are still in the FT system even if deleted. It was a general comment on how the system works. That was all.

I thought the OP and others might find it interesting to know that these deleted posts show up.
To be more accurate, what you had described was the bug in the system. The search bug hasn't been fixed by IB. They've known this bug for many months. I don't know why IB hasn't fixed it. We've covered this discussion in your other thread on this very issue.

If the IB Beta Search had worked as our FT Classic Search, FTers shouldn't have seen any deleted post with the trash icon attached from any search result. Since the Beta Search is still buggy, every FTer (including mods) is currently seeing deleted posts.

Post deletion appears to be an OMNI-specific feature. As a non-techie FTer, I do know the option to delete a post only exists in OMNI (assuming OMNI/PR as well). It seems there's more features enabled/implemented in OMNI. I haven't seen the "delete" option in any of the other fora that I've posted.

Judging from the example post OP had provided, when an OMNI (/PR) post is deleted by the original poster, it loses the place holder in say thread. Before the search bug is fixed by IB, such deleted post will still be viewable (in the form of first two lines of text with a trashcan to the right) to FTers in search result.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:25 am

Strange, I just get SAVE * GO ADVANCED * CANCEL

Well, in order to test your hypothesis, I suggest you to experiment this "delete" feature in OMNI after December 11, 2008. You should meet the classic 180/180 threshold by then.

Report back so we'll know how your theory holds up.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by lin821
If the IB Beta Search had worked as our FT Classic Search, FTers shouldn't have seen any deleted post with the trash icon attached from any search result. Since the Beta Search is still buggy, every FTer (including mods) is currently seeing deleted posts.
Personally I've enjoyed the ability to see (at least part of) deleted posts in searches, although I'm sure FT/IB are frantically working to get rid of this capability. It sheds light on what the powers-that-be try to keep a taboo subject, and it has educated me a lot as to what really goes on with moderators/moderation. The result had a notable influence on my talkboard votes this year.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by studentff
Personally I've enjoyed the ability to see (at least part of) deleted posts in searches, although I'm sure FT/IB are frantically working to get rid of this capability. It sheds light on what the powers-that-be try to keep a taboo subject, and it has educated me a lot as to what really goes on with moderators/moderation.
Now you are talking!

Let's see if you'll get the attention from the admin this time, so this bug will really get fixed!

BTW, Not every deleted post is taboo-related. Some deleted posts are simply spam, duplicate or padded.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 7:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by lin821
Well, in order to test your hypothesis, I suggest you to experiment this "delete" feature in OMNI after December 11, 2008. You should meet the classic 180/180 threshold by then.

Report back so we'll know how your theory holds up.
Well, my hypothesis was correct, and your test idea was great. The Delete button magically appeared for me today!
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:05 am

Well, my hypothesis was correct, and your test idea was great. The Delete button magically appeared for me today!
Thanks for reporting back. It's interesting (to me anyway) to learn why the delete button was absent.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:47 pm

Thanks for the update.

Since we have your confirmed "report", I would say this "elusive delete feature" in OMNI(/PR) appears to be another oversight of IB since OMNI was open up on 10/20/08. They lifted the gate but didn't dig deep enough to "update" all the "hidden" features embedded in Classic OMNI.

Aside from search problems and system being slow (or down), I guess it's just one more bug from current FT, proudly presented to you by IB!
Old Dec 13, 2008, 11:42 am

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
I accept

that a mod might delete my post, but:
(1) I'd really appreciate a statement to that effect from the mod, and possibly a reason,
and
(2) IF my post had been deleted--as appears to be the case recently-- I would hope that when I ask the system for all the threads in which I've posted, it would NOT identify a thread from which my post(s) had been deleted.
Preferences thus: (1) NO deletions, (2) deletions with notice and explanation and "show threads" to reflect those threads in which my posts are still visible.^
Old Dec 13, 2008, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
(2) is a known bug with search and has been that way for many months. IB has yet to fix it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.