Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

How do I have all my posts removed from FlyerTalk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I have all my posts removed from FlyerTalk?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has always been a public board. You have never had any control over who views what you post here.

It makes no sense why anyone would get their panties in a bunch now that OMNI is open to Google.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not so much of a Nerd then, eh?

It hasn't always been a globally searchable board.

If it makes no sense to you, then you haven't thought about it enough.

I bumped this thread because I had made my thoughts clear in another, related, thread.

I want the IT folks to be contemplating what it would take if the boss is gracious enough to pull the trigger.

It will save me a lot of work and make the board much less messy
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Not so much of a Nerd then, eh?

It hasn't always been a globally searchable board.
Did anyone say it had ever been a globally searchable board?

If it makes no sense to you, then you haven't thought about it enough.
And I probably won't be thinking about it, much.

OMNI is, and always was, a public forum. Post accordingly.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by nerd

OMNI is, and always was, a public forum. Post accordingly.
No, it was a criteria based forum which is not the same as a public forum by any means.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steph3n
No, it was a criteria based forum which is not the same as a public forum by any means.
If I post something in a forum on the internet, and I have no control over who is viewing it, and there is absolutely no way of my knowing who is viewing what I post, then I'd consider it public .

Maybe that was a good consideration.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I think this is the appropriate time to make this request once again.
birdstrike, have you received ANY response?

Your question seems to be sitting at the bottom of the queue.
Perhaps you have received other responses by PM?
Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by nerd
If I post something in a forum on the internet, and I have no control over who is viewing it, and there is absolutely no way of my knowing who is viewing what I post, then I'd consider it public .

Maybe that was a good consideration.
You are correct but unfortunately people just dont get it.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BiziBB
birdstrike, have you received ANY response?

Your question seems to be sitting at the bottom of the queue.
Perhaps you have received other responses by PM?
No response, private nor public.

My request still stands.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:17 am

Programs: No travel, no cards. :(
According to the tech support of another board, the guaranteed way to remove all posts for a single poster is to delete the poster from the board.

So if birdstrike as a name is *deleted* (not just banned, actually deleted), then all your posts would go away - along with any thread you ever started, thus removing the posts from within that thread as well by everyone else.

That works on a version of php, not sure if it would work on this one.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by callie-girl
According to the tech support of another board, the guaranteed way to remove all posts for a single poster is to delete the poster from the board.
I know at least one FTer had gone MIA just like that. I don't know if s/he requested to be "erased" or something else happen to this individual.

I was reading another discussion thread this morning and saw a FT handle in a quoted reply. I tried to look up the original post but found no match. When I searched said FT handle, there's not a single FT post associated with such handle. As far as I know, this person used to be an active FTer. There's no way s/he has zero post on FT.

In a nutshell, yes, FT can delete a poster's account and make her/him disappeared. Not sure it's per posters' requests or executive decisions though.

However, if any fellow FTer ever quoted say FTer's post, the quoted text remain. But the poster is gone.

I don't think that's what birdstrike wants though.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:46 pm

From a technical perspective, it is certainly possible to delete all of a member's posts. From a policy perspective, it is not something we currently do.

From the FAQs:

Who owns my post?

For the sake of simplicity, we'd say that we own anything posted on FlyerTalk. Our reasoning is that we have the power to edit or delete any post if we, representing the community, find it provides more harm than value to FlyerTalk. Also, if a member decides they no longer want to participate in the community, we would find it difficult to go into the database and delete each post an individual had made. Excerpts from posts to FlyerTalk may appear in InsideFlyer magazines, books, or other materials.

Of course, policy decisions are always up for revision, but at this time the short answer to the original question is, we do not remove posts upon a member's request.

I understand this probably isn't the answer you were hoping for birdstrike, but I hope it helps clarify the current policy.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
I understand this probably isn't the answer you were hoping for birdstrike, but I hope it helps clarify the current policy.
It does. Thank you Mikel. By the same criteria posters may also remove or modify their own posts.

You (FlyerTalk) cannot set a policy, encourage posts, then radically change the underlying assumptions and expect to remain unchallenged and above-the-fray. I'm currently dialoging with Mr. Petersen on this topic and hopefully we will work out something acceptable.

Until then, stand by.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:13 pm

Just report all your own messages as "bad" and let the mods delete them one-by-one. Or just cancel your account and open a new one: "birdstrike2"
Old Dec 2, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by bones123
Just report all your own messages as "bad" and let the mods delete them one-by-one. Or just cancel your account and open a new one: "birdstrike2"
There are issues with your "solutions."

1. Mods don't always delete RBPed posts/threads:
Suggesting RBP for the sake of having your posts removed, IMHO, only increase the workload of our volunteer mods. I've done my fair share of RBPs. However, I don't personally recommend it for THIS purpose.

2. Theoretically, per TOS, one individual can only have one FT handle. If your 2nd handle suggestion would have a similar effect to change one's FT handle, all the previous posts will still on FT and the previous posting history will be transferred (or attached) to the "new" handle. To my knowledge, there's at least one FTer had changed her/his FT handle recently and all the post count "credit" from the previous era is now under the new handle.

However, if cancelling one's FT account will automatically delete every post one ever makes on FT, that's another story.

The question then becomes: "would FT admin grant cancellation requests, knowing say FTers with the very intention to start from scratch under a new FT handle?"

Or is there another more "constructive" way to address OP's concern? I don't think OP's getting any "positive" response from the admin (yet).
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:54 pm

If a user has no intention to come back, does cancelling an account delete all posts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.