Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Omni open to all now?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 3:09 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Maybe I can shed some light on this. Yes, I (alone) made a decision to open it up. Over time, I've come to value OMNI for its eclectic number of humor, off-topic and otherwise valuable information. The fact is that OMNI exists because our members asked for it years ago and in fact we were likely the first travel or deal-type Web site to offer the expanse of information beyond our specific topics of miles, points and travel. In reality because of the actions for a few, we sort of buttoned it up for many years. With the recent version upgrade of our software (vBulletin), I was looking over the changes in the base software and started to wonder why some of them were there and upon some research found example after example that indeed the Web has been moving forward in trends. So, with that in mind, i started to look around and while embarrassed to day it, "discovered" that nearly every travel or deal-content Web site had knocked us off, that is, they have their own off-topic forum, including the recently relaunched fodors.com (Fodorite Lounge). But I also noticed that all of them left their off-topic forums open for all members. Look at fodors.com, LonelyPlanet, TripAdvisor, Slickdeals.net or even FatWallet. Anyway, I started to think that perhaps much had changed since we started OMNI many years ago and that the trend seemed to be to make it easy for all members to share this type of casual information. Can anyone deny that these Web sites also have very passionate members? And in some ways, my decision was made to try and make it easier on FT to get around, reduce the efforts necessary to try and overcome these restrictions and to make OMNI that much more valuable to our members who do see that wonderful wealth of information about topics in our lives outside travel. If I trust you with giving me valuable travel information, why wouldn't I trust you to give me some additional valuable information, maybe about which flat-screen TV is best or which to choose between DirecTV or Comcast, etc.

Anyway, it was a decision that was thought out and researched quite a bit.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
If I trust you with giving me valuable travel information, why wouldn't I trust you to give me some additional valuable information, maybe about which flat-screen TV is best or which to choose between DirecTV or Comcast, etc.
Using the same logic, will there be any reconsideration of OMNI (and OMNI/PR) posts counting towards a member's post count?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Gee, if it's the most popular forum on FT, you certainly wouldn't know it from the attitudes of some. IMHO, it's the poor stepchild of FT

I prefer to see it kept for logged in users only. There's a lot of personal stuff in there.
I agree, and even worse, our previous posts are now showing up in Search Engine results. This is very very bad.

Maybe I can shed some light on this...i started to look around and while embarrassed to day it, "discovered" that nearly every travel or deal-content Web site had knocked us off, that is, they have their own off-topic forum, including the recently relaunched fodors.com (Fodorite Lounge). But I also noticed that all of them left their off-topic forums open for all members. Look at fodors.com, LonelyPlanet, TripAdvisor, Slickdeals.net or even FatWallet. Anyway, I started to think that perhaps much had changed since we started OMNI many years ago and that the trend seemed to be to make it easy for all members to share this type of casual information. Can anyone deny that these Web sites also have very passionate members? And in some ways, my decision was made to try and make it easier on FT to get around, reduce the efforts necessary to try and overcome these restrictions and to make OMNI that much more valuable to our members who do see that wonderful wealth of information about topics in our lives outside travel. If I trust you with giving me valuable travel information, why wouldn't I trust you to give me some additional valuable information, maybe about which flat-screen TV is best or which to choose between DirecTV or Comcast, etc.
I patronize FlyerTalk because the noise to quality ratio of the information is superior than FatWallet, Fodors, etc. Call me elitist, but I feel you need to have some give and take, meaning in order to post or see, you need to be signed in. I pray FlyerTalk does not turn into TripAdvisor, SlickDeals, etc. It's obviously Randy's show and right to make a strategic decision to reach a wider, broader audience, but FlyerTalk's value is it's uniqueness and niche which is what makes folks so passionate.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I also noticed that all of them left their off-topic forums open for all members. Look at fodors.com, LonelyPlanet, TripAdvisor, Slickdeals.net or
So why can't we just leave it open for all members and require one to be logged in to view it?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I agree, and even worse, our previous posts are now showing up in Search Engine results. This is very very bad.

I patronize FlyerTalk because the noise to quality ratio of the information is superior than FatWallet, Fodors, etc. Call me elitist, but I feel you need to have some give and take, meaning in order to post or see, you need to be signed in. I pray FlyerTalk does not turn into TripAdvisor, SlickDeals, etc. It's obviously Randy's show and right to make a strategic decision to reach a wider, broader audience, but FlyerTalk's value is it's uniqueness and niche which is what makes folks so passionate.
Could not agree more. The fact that the OMNI threads are searchable is even more troubling to me because I foolishly have a handle that easily identifies myself. Maybe time to start again...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by soitgoes
So why can't we just leave it open for all members and require one to be logged in to view it?
I'd second that motion. The minimum post count requirement was a touch silly, since those desperate to spread good cheer around Omni would just pile up 180 worthless posts in other forums. Requiring at least a log in seems to be reasonable. If the day comes when anyone can post as anonymous, all will be lost.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
Using the same logic, will there be any reconsideration of OMNI (and OMNI/PR) posts counting towards a member's post count?
My first thought as well. I'll have to look at the other sites used as comparison and see if their posts count...?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
The minimum post count requirement was a touch silly, since those desperate to spread good cheer around Omni would just pile up 180 worthless posts in other forums.
I just haven't seen that (worthless posts to get to 180). I do very clearly notice the Coupon Connection runs, as we had one last week where a poster that was registered for a few years posted about 50 times in two days, with a lot of three word posts, just to hit the 90. His 91st post was in Coupon Connection (he would have got their sooner if mods hadn't deleted a few posts). They jump out and are pretty easy to spot if you check "new posts".

I haven't seen the similar type of posting runs to get into OMNI. I suspect most of FT doesn't even know about the OMNI part of FT.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
If I trust you with giving me valuable travel information, why wouldn't I trust you to give me some additional valuable information, maybe about which flat-screen TV is best or which to choose between DirecTV or Comcast, etc.
But since its not related to travel it still doesnt count?

I'm also disappointed about the search engines being able to scan OMNI. OMNI was always thought to be away from the prying eyes of Google (and others). I'm going to have to go back and make sure I'm okay with the search engines picking up my posts... At least a little more warning to FT would have been appreciated ...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by majorwibi
But since its not related to travel it still doesnt count?

I'm also disappointed about the search engines being able to scan OMNI. OMNI was always thought to be away from the prying eyes of Google (and others). I'm going to have to go back and make sure I'm okay with the search engines picking up my posts... At least a little more warning to FT would have been appreciated ...
Agree completly. I don't want people from work or other sites being able to see what I write in there. The key for me is being able to block the google search engine...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:08 pm

But i guess my posts do count here when I complain about posts not counting in OMNI...

That said, I don't really care either way about posts counting and have no idea why other people do... What is this a contest to see who's 'thing' is being than the others?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:11 pm

Also, I also give out a lot of my wine allocations (lately) to OMNI becuase I feel like the members have given back to me so it is the least I can do to them... I guess, at least, now that I have a few members I can get my wine to is good for both of us, but in the future I will no be offering it to a limitless OMNI...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Agree completely. FT was quite happy doing their own thing for years and now suddenly we're behind the times and have to make major changes to copy what others are doing?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 4:09 am
cpx
Original Poster

Programs: Many
I guess its time to review my omni posts and delete some of them....
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Also, I also give out a lot of my wine allocations (lately) to OMNI becuase I feel like the members have given back to me so it is the least I can do to them... I guess, at least, now that I have a few members I can get my wine to is good for both of us, but in the future I will no be offering it to a limitless OMNI...
As a recipient of one of your wine offloads, that is very disappointing to hear, but I totally understand you don't want un-vetted folks harassing you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.