Search

Search problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
What was broke with the old search?

Why do we need this new search?

Why doesn't it search thread titles correctly? All I want is the "exercise blog" and it doesn't show up in the search results.

Last edited by magiciansampras; Feb 11, 2008 at 3:40 pm
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
As you've already noticed, there might be a few bugs initially, but if it results in a much speedier site the tradeoff will probably be worthwhile.
If we get a decent search back in a reasonable amount of time, then it probably is worthwhile. But if it's a choice between the two, faster is NOT better than being able to search productively.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
If we get a decent search back in a reasonable amount of time, then it probably is worthwhile. But if it's a choice between the two, faster is NOT better than being able to search productively.
I completely agree... Accuracy is immensely more important than speed. What good is a lightning-fast return of the WRONG or at a minimum useless results?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Exclamation If you don't like the new search, tell TB!

I started a thread over in Talkboard Topics in the hopes that our elected body of representatives will make a recommendation to the technical team about what kind of search helps us the best. It is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...wpost&t=787503

I encourage you to voice your feedback over there as well as here. The TB exists for a reason, and this should be one of the areas they can help us.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:04 am

I understand your frustrations and I believe I know what the people want and am the right person to help those people on Day One.

Oops, been watching too many primary debates

Seriously though, I just want to step in here and hopefully relieve a bit of the anxiety and clear up a few points.

The new search isn't yet a finished product (actually, I would go so far as to say nothing on the Internet is ever a finished product, but I digress). Kevin Hayes acknowledged in this post that this is a preliminary version of the new search, and that an improved version should be out next week.

As all of you likely are aware, the site has been experiencing some "performance" issues over the past two or three weeks. What Kevin and his team found was that these were at least partly caused by the load the original search feature placed on the system. The beta search was being developed to alleviate this problem.

Because the slowness of the site was becoming such a problem, it was decided to roll out the new search sooner than originally planned to help speed up the site as a whole, with the full understanding that the new search wasn't yet fully developed, but would be soon.

I understand this explanation won't immediately improve the new search option, but just want everyone to be aware that this is a temporary resolution and there is every intention to build out the new search quickly to include most, if not all, of the features that were available in the original search.

There is no intention to settle for an either/or result -- it won't be acceptable to anybody to either have a speedy site or a useful search. Both are a requirement, and that is the end goal here.

We do apologize for the frustrations this is causing, and you can be assured the team is working as hard as they can to get this worked out.

Thanks for your feedback all ^
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
What was broke with the old search?
This:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775117

I'm afraid that the old search is no longer an option if you want a stable forum.
Kevin
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:05 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
I too dislike the new search. My use case used to be as follows:

- Open the forums
- Do an advanced search for posts by my username

This would provide me with a chronological list of all threads that had recent activity... Even if they started two years ago. I could also see if the last poster in a thread we me - If it was, there wasn't any point in opening it. If it wasn't me, then there was new activity, and I'd open the thread and read it.

It would also provide me a convenient list (on the right) of the forums I'm most active in, and I could open each forum.

Last edited by gglave; Feb 6, 2008 at 10:13 am
Old Feb 6, 2008, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
It seems searching by thread starter is broken too.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by qasr
It seems searching by thread starter is broken too.
I just ran several searches by thread starter and they seem to return correct results. Can you be more specific about what isn't working?
Kevin
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by KevinSours
I just ran several searches by thread starter and they seem to return correct results. Can you be more specific about what isn't working?
Kevin
Hi Kevin:

In support of member qasr, I also noticed that the search by thread starter was not originally working yesterday and earlier today, but it now seems to be.

Yesterday, a search by thread starter was returning the same results as if a normal search query had been run on the beta.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I'm afraid I have to add to all the complainers at the moment! I was looking at a particularly long thread, so I clicked on Search this Thread to find the post I was looking for. The result thanks to ibSearch from Internet Brands beta? A link to the the entire thread I was searching in the first place!!! Rather defeats the point, n'est pas?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 7:44 pm

The new "My Threads" is horrible.

It shows a useless "score" for every post. Some threads are shown repeatedly which is useless redundance. And no threads show the date/time of the last post; that defeats the whole point of "My Threads" because I can not tell which threads have had new posts since the last time I checked. So it becomes trial and error to see if a new post has been added.

Didn't we go through this a few months ago, and then after complaints the original "My Threads" was restored?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:46 pm

Can we have it so it defaults to IB search only when server load is excessive? I like the old search better.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:28 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by philemer
The new search feature STINKS. I used to be able to click "Quick Links" and then "My Threads" and it would show, in date order, all the threads I had posted to. I want that back. The new method is not friendly!
(Bolding Mine)
I am with you, philemer. YES, bring that back!

I am also not sure what's the new (meaningless) scoring thing for. When I visit My Threads, meaning I want to see all those threads. Now the new search assigns the score of 68% to all of them. Does it mean I got a "D"?

Why not 100%, since all the threads fit my "My Threads" criteria?

Remove a fully-functional search (well, minus the 3-word search ) with a (malfunctioning) beta IB search with bugs, not a smart move in my book.

Last edited by lin821; Feb 7, 2008 at 1:37 am
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by KevinSours
This:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775117

I'm afraid that the old search is no longer an option if you want a stable forum.
Kevin
Kevin,

While I work in IT and reading the above thread, there was a belief this was this problem, then all of a sudden a change was made, before it was announced it was to be made, is there any Change Control?

This seems a rather random approach to resolving an issue in a commercial environment.

May I ask, when the site was experiencing Time Out/Slow issues was the search function disabled for say 2 hours, to gather if this was the real cause?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.