Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

What the heck is the purpose of a Buddy List?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't get the point of FT's Buddy List. I know how to add people to it. But what for?

SteveInSTL posed an exact question about the Buddy List here.
Originally Posted by SteveinSTL
... with these people added, what does this do? Other than being an electronic version of a scratch pad of who i've found interesting the most, what can I do with this? I was imagining some quick way to click on my buddy list & see if they were online & in what forum, etc. So, my question is, aside from simply listing buddies, what can you do with this feature??
Is there future functionality coming to FT? Or are we just dense and not using it to its full capability?

Thanks.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:55 pm

The buddy list doesn't do a lot, but it is a handy little feature for some people.

It's best use is probably as a means to quickly send pms to other members, without first needing to find a post by that member. If you have members listed in your buddy list you can select "Open Buddy List" under the "Quick Links" menu item and it will open a little pop-up window listing your buddies. From this window you can pm any or all of your buddies. You can also see which of them are online, and you can click on the buttons next to their username to view their profile in a new window.

Not everyone will find this feature useful, but some really appreciate it - especially those who find themselves using the pm feature often.

Last edited by Mikel at Webflyer; Oct 14, 2005 at 2:09 pm
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:14 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
You can also see which of them are online, if they are online but hidden (red button next to their name).
Well, I have about 10 people in my BL but never see any red button next to their handle, though I'm pretty sure some of them use the anonymity feature (those for whom "Last activity:" don't show up in their personal profile). I *do* see red buttons but only for my own posts when I switch on the anonymity function. Besides, being able to see who is "online but hidden" would be a contradiction in terms.

I confirm it is useful to send out quick PMs, especially to several FTers at the same time. ^

Last edited by Falco Peregrinus; Oct 14, 2005 at 1:16 pm
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
The buddy list was useful when the list of online members was enabled at the bottom of the main page. Those on your list were asterisked or something, so you could spot them easily.

Of course, perceived usefulness may vary...
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:11 pm

You are absolutely correct Falco, you CANNOT see members who are hidden ... I forgot all about my admin status there for a second

I've edited my post above to reflect this correction. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is there other functionality in the vBulletin software regarding the Buddy List that are available, but turned off?
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

The buddy list doesn't do a lot, but it is a handy little feature for some people.

It's best use is probably as a means to quickly send pms to other members, without first needing to find a post by that member. If you have members listed in your buddy list you can select "Open Buddy List" under the "Quick Links" menu item and it will open a little pop-up window listing your buddies. From this window you can pm any or all of your buddies. You can also see which of them are online, and you can click on the buttons next to their username to view their profile in a new window.

Not everyone will find this feature useful, but some really appreciate it - especially those who find themselves using the pm feature often.
Sounds neat - I never knew that existed. ^

I do not have PM activated .. does it allow the same access to that member's email address?
Old Oct 14, 2005, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot all about my admin status there for a second
That sounds like a useful feature. Could you turn it on for my account too please?
Old Oct 15, 2005, 11:25 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by chexfan
I
Is there future functionality coming to FT? Or are we just dense and not using it to its full capability?
I vote for dense
Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfe

I vote for dense
I'd far prefer you voted for me. ^

Or maybe that is the same thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.