Reload this Page >

What is the software we use here on FT?

Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life time Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

Hello there,

I am planning to use a bulletin board software for my company and I like the look and feel of FT website. What is the software used here for discussion board? Does anyone know?

Prasad
Old Aug 12, 2005, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
It's vBulletin.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
It's vBulletin.
Thanks for the info. I was just checking the vBulletin site, even the price seems quite right.

Prasad
Old Aug 20, 2005, 12:34 am

Perfedct timing...I was just looking for this answer!

Can someone provide more details, please? Do I need a dedicated server, or can I have it hosted somewhere...

I'm very tech-savvy, but creating web sites, etc is the only thing I have little experience with.

Thanks!

Randomman
Old Aug 22, 2005, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by randomman
Perfedct timing...I was just looking for this answer!

Can someone provide more details, please? Do I need a dedicated server, or can I have it hosted somewhere...

I'm very tech-savvy, but creating web sites, etc is the only thing I have little experience with.

Thanks!

Randomman
You can have it hosted somewhere. In fact if you are just starting you probably want shared hosting to help keep the costs down. You might also want to look at phpBB and Invision Powerboard. They are both fine products.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rnprasad

Thanks for the info. I was just checking the vBulletin site, even the price seems quite right.

Prasad
I realise the FT site has a ton of bells and whistles and extras etc, but am I seeing this right that a single vBulletin site is only $160 a year for full licence version?

http://www.vbulletin.com/order/

I have thought of setting one up for the field I work in (postage stamps) and thought it would cost lots more. I have my own business website with 250 different pages, and I presume it can be hosted on that site, but know nothing much about tech stuff. If it attracts a few 100 members I guess that does not consume a lot of bandwidth if graphics/image posting are turned off like on FT?

Anyone set one up .. i.e. after you pay the $160 is there a pretty easy set-up required?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poking around further I found this:

Professional Installation - $135 per license

If you are unfamiliar with PHP/MySQL or server configuration, you may choose to pay for professional installation. This option includes one first time installation of vBulletin on your server. Note: Each service ordered covers installation of one license on one server.

So I guess after that it is fairly easy to set up and get moving?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:02 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
System requirements are a webserver with PHP and a SQL database. Pretty much any server will do for a smaller site - don't worry about the CPU/memory specs. You'll need maybe 15MB of disk space at most, and about 25MB of database space.

The actual installation is not hard if you have shell access to the webserver. If you don't have shell access (FTP only), it's slightly more difficult, but still not a problem.

Once you get the software installed, all of the setup, configuration, customization, management, etc., can be done from the web. There are a zillion different options and toggles, so it might take a while to play with them and configure your board the way you like it.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks markbach - very useful info. ^

I guess like all things once you've set up a few it gets easy, but the initial step seems to be very complicated.

A colleague suggested for a simple low volume BB that http://www.phpbb.com might suffice? I have no idea about these different products, but she tells me that one is freeware, which is interesting.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a demo board they say, and it does have a fairly similar type of look to how FT was pre the last update:

http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo.php
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps
This is a demo board they say, and it does have a fairly similar type of look to how FT was pre the last update:

http://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo.php

Hi Glen,

I finally instlled phpbb for my website. I choose that as it is freeware while I am playing with the software. These are the actual costs for me.

1. Website registration: USD 6.95 per annum
I used www.hostway.com

2. Hosting account: USD 60 per annum
www.globat.com
It looks like they changed the plans recently and they don't offer the plan I currently use now. But there are a lot of sites offering one year hosting for about 50 bucks. I used www.godaddy.com in the past and their service is good.

3. Discussion board: Free
www.phpbb.com
Looks fine and just needs some customization at this time

You can look at my site at
http://www.granitesite.com/phpBB2/index.php

Hope this helps.
Prasad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.