Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

What if a TalkBoard candidate gets a timeout - can one still vote for him?

What if a TalkBoard candidate gets a timeout - can one still vote for him?

Old Oct 24, 2004, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Question What if a TalkBoard candidate gets a timeout - can one still vote for him?

I'm not asking what a potential decision would be on whether these votes would count or whether theoretically Randy might overturn the election of a candidate.

I am just asking what happens technically, if a candidate gets handed a ban, let's say from another candidate who is also a moderator, or from a TalkBoard member who is also a moderator, or from anyone else - will votes for the candidate during the timeout still be counted, technically? I mean, a member that is on a ban cannot receive or send private messages, or even view the board (?) while she/he is on the timeout (I have never been banned, but I would think that would be the way it is), so I wonder if one can vote for her/him or if the candidate "does not exist" technically for purposes of voting.

The reason that I am asking is that I have been told by one of the new moderators of the TalkBoard forum that I might be given a timeout "for the election period" (could not find that possibility in the TOS, but that's another matter) for "disruption of the forum" in the TalkBoard forum .

Thanks for some information on this .

Last edited by Football Fan; Oct 24, 2004 at 4:27 am
Old Oct 24, 2004, 1:56 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Since I had already voted, I could not check myself. So, I asked a member who had not voted to check. I asked a member who had not voted to check to see if all candidates who had posted for the election could still be voted for.

According to this member, ALL candidates still show up on the list and could be voted for.

I am sure Randy's team will let us know if it is different.

William
Old Oct 24, 2004, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
It appears attorney28 was today suspended from posting on FT for 7 days (neatly covering most of the election period ) Notification of this came to him via one of the other election candidates. This IMHO is a very unfortunate state of affairs for the appearance of a Democratic and open election process.

Nonetheless, to address the question asked in the thread, I just successfully voted for he (and Dovster) and can only conclude that any other person choosing to vote for attorney28 may still do so if that is their wish.

I have a feeling today's actions may mean a LARGE number of votes for attorney28.

I understand that the Private Messaging function will not work for attorney28 for the period of this week long time-out, but that the FT email service still works normally, for those that may care to contact him.

I post here as the Moderators controlling free speech in the Talk Board Forum have directed all such posts to this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366148
Old Oct 24, 2004, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Where's Jimmy Carter when you need him?
Old Oct 24, 2004, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by ozstamps
I have a feeling today's actions may mean a LARGE number of votes for attorney28.
Then his ploy was successful?
Old Oct 24, 2004, 7:44 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
A spade is a spade, and the moon is experiencing howling...

It appears attorney28 was today suspended from posting on FT for 7 days (neatly covering most of the election period ) Notification of this came to him via one of the other election candidates. This IMHO is a very unfortunate state of affairs for the appearance of a Democratic and open election process.
What would your reaction have been had another moderator notified him? What if I had notified him?

I post here as the Moderators controlling free speech in the Talk Board Forum have directed all such posts to this thread.
That's rich, as I believe the current moderator of that forum is also the duly elected talkboard president.

I've never seen someone who actually martyred him/herself to gain a talkboard seat, but I suppose there is a first time for everything....
Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
How much simpler, clearer and less disruptive things would be if there were a thread that made a clear and simple statement of all bans. I.e.:

1. Poster X was issued a 7 day ban for posting obscene language.

2. Poster Z was issued a 30 day ban for personally insulting poster Y in Community.

3. Posters C, D, E and F were issued 7 day bans for almost simultaneously giving negative ratings to K's birthday thread.

4. Poster P was given a lifetime ban for posting dings using another poster's handle.

etc., etc., etc.

Our current program smacks of the HOUAC, or worse. These are sad days for FT.

Last edited by Punki; Oct 25, 2004 at 2:10 am
Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClueByFour

What would your reaction have been had another moderator notified him?
Your entire post appears entirely off-topic for this Forum - but you know that.

In answer to your off-topic questions my reaction would have been that was entirely the proper and correct course - assuming the person so deputised was not also standing for TalkBoard. Do you disagree?

To be able to outright ban a well spoken and intelligent competitor from a week's comment of any kind in a very tight race is a power I bet Mr Bush right now wishes he had. Do you disagree?

You may or not be aware of the specific "reason" given to the Member. If not perhaps go ask? I certainly did. You may be amazed.

Such a course surely would have been seen to that member, and to all other Members who were aware of it, to be at arm's length, impartial, and above any possibility of appearing to have any conflict of interest.

doc's recent time-out was not communicated to him by either Forum Mod, so clearly that was better thought out, and he was not even an election candidate.

Please be clear I am not saying, and have never said on FT there WAS a certain conflict of interest for a specific Candidate to ban another Candidate - I am simply responding to your hypothetical "what if". It was clearly a delicate matter, and surely required handling as such. Do you agree? And the reality is there are at least 50 Mods NOT standing for TB, most of whom were on FT this weekend.

That's rich, as I believe the current moderator of that forum is also the duly elected talkboard president.
You are only partially correct. 33% correct actually. She is one of three in case you had not noticed. Two are Talk Board candidates. Had she contacted the member I do not feel there could have been a conflict of interest at all - seeing you raise the question. Or even the possibility of an appearance of one. That is surely the important distinction? Do you agree?

For some other long term member's opinions on this very point - again seeing you choose to raise it, please see this thread where a number of senior members openly invited similar bans for speaking their mind on this matter, before that thread too was locked:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366159

As to whether Moderators should be running at all for TB, Randy seems quite happy with the concept, and has very recently said let the members decide how to vote, and NOT to vote for any Candidate where there is: "A POTENTIAL CONFLICT OF INTEREST".

This member most certainly took that wise advice at face value.

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Bottom line: Let the members decide. If members think there is a potential conflict of interest, then they can choose to not vote for those candidates. Less government......

Personal opinion only.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 9:13 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by Punki
How much simpler, clearer and less disruptive things would be if there were a thread that made a clear and simple statement of all bans.

Our current program smacks of the HOUAC, or worse. These are sad days for FT.
This is entirely up to Randy.

In fact, there are only two reasons why anyone who has ever been timed out has had the reason posted:

1. Randy posted the reason or instructed someone to do so.

2. The user either notified another FT member who posted it, or it was reposted information from private forums.

In any case, is it really the business of every FT member why member "xyz" was timed out? I'm not asking about talkboard candidates, or actions that you happen to disagree with, here (the moderator black helicopter theory).

My current perception (as a moderator) is that it's not--it's for the member in quesiton, the moderators, and the webflyer folks (which is obviously inclusive of Randy).

Your entire post appears entirely off-topic for this Forum - but you know that
"Hello Pot, this is Kettle....."
Old Oct 24, 2004, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally Posted by Punki
Poster Z was issued a 30 day ban for personally insulting poster Z in Community.
^ When you personally insult yourself in Community, let me know and I'll be there to issue you a 30 day ban.

FewMiles..
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Then his ploy was successful?

I've never seen someone who actually martyred him/herself to gain a talkboard seat, but I suppose there is a first time for everything....

I have no idea how Attorney28 would respond to the above personal attacks as he is not able to post.

I would, however, request that posts on this forum adhere to the same standards of the TOS as they would on one that is moderated.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dovster. Not sure about Israel but in Australia it is considered ungentlemanly, (indeed there is another word more often used) to hit a man when his hands are tied behind his back against his will, and cannot respond.

Perhaps that is acceptable behaviour in the USA, I do not know? It seems to be.

The Talkboard hopefully getting new candidates from outside the USA like Dovster and attorney28 will perhaps add some of these 'quaint' foreign customs to the cultural mix? We shall see.

Perhaps that was part of Randy's idea when making foreign members a mandatory part of the TB?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:14 am

Perhaps that is acceptable behaviour in the USA, I do not know? It seems to be.
I can assure you, Ozstamps, that it is in no way considered acceptable behavior (even without the superfluous "u") in America.

Perhaps because I am perceived as a running mate of Attorney28's (not true, incidentally), I have gotten quite a few e-mails about this situation in the past day.

Some said they would be supporting me. Some said they would be supporting Attorney28. Others said neither. All, however, expressed their dismay at how this is being handled by the TalkBoard moderators.

Most of these e-mails came from the U.S. Two, in fact, came from American moderators who have not publicly posted on the issue (understandable considering the backlash they might face).

The question here is not one of Americans vs non-Americans. What is unacceptable on the playing fields of Eton is also rejected in the schoolyards of Brooklyn.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster

The question here is not one of Americans vs non-Americans. What is unacceptable on the playing fields of Eton is also rejected in the schoolyards of Brooklyn.
Here we quaintly call this "fair play".

Best of luck in the vote. ^

You and/or attorney28 MUST be elected by my math based on the foreign resident mandatory requirement, and you are (IMHO) easily the 2 best known and most capable and enthusiastic candidates in that category.

FlyerTalk needs you both IMHO. More now than ever before. @:-)
Old Oct 25, 2004, 4:34 am

Thank you, Oz, but there are also three other good candidates from outside of North America: CT-UK, hfly, and MhTapei.

(Underpressure, another excellent candidate, is from Georgia, and I am not certain if that is considered part of the U.S.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.