Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

What if a TalkBoard candidate gets a timeout - can one still vote for him?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What if a TalkBoard candidate gets a timeout - can one still vote for him?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2004, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "2 foreign members" issue isn't "mandatory", the Talkboard description says the following:

It is the goal and intention of the FlyerTalk host that at least two members of the TalkBoard be based outside of the North American continent. This is to recognize the diverse membership and interests of the entire FlyerTalk community.

"goal and intention" is not the same as mandatory. In the new Talkboard guidelines recently adopted by us the foreign member rule was not added, so I'll ask the current president if that rule still exists.

Plus; Kempis is still a member, meaning it is only the "goal and intent" to need one more foreign member on the board.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC

"goal and intention" is not the same as mandatory. In the new Talkboard guidelines recently adopted by us the foreign member rule was not added, so I'll ask the current president if that rule still exists.
Does Randy fully agree with your thoughts here Scott, and fully endorse your interesting 'version' of the rules????? You are clearly posting here as a TB member by your wording, so I guess he does?

IMHO you are splitting hairs. Or, possibly clutching at straws more like. Unless at least one non-USA resident member is elected, the spirit and intent of the guidelines will not have been adhered to. IMHO. Thankfully perhaps, announcing new members is not your call but is at Randy's pleasure last time I heard?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=57

The published guidelines about overseas TB members still exists of course - as I type, that is. However after the events of this week they may vanish or alter, who knows? :

http://www.flyertalk.com/townhall/talkboard.php

Why wouldn't that "rule still exist" it if was published by Randy for all Members to read in black and white??

------------------------------

Last edited by ozstamps; Oct 25, 2004 at 8:31 am Reason: HTML coding
Old Oct 25, 2004, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ozstamps,

The "new" Talkboard guidelines have been posted for all to see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/townhall/sc...&id=1095258530

THOSE new guidelines (voted for) do not include the foreign membership rule.

I have asked the question in the talkboard forum what the current procedure is for this and will get back to you on it. I understand your pressing desire to get a "mandatory" ruling on the issue. The foreign membership rule was not mentioned anywhere on the ballots or in the voting screens, nor was it mentioned in the announcement so personally I assume we have completely adpoted the new guidelines, and if that is the case then I'll ask Spiff to update the talkboard description in the townhall.

I've also asked that this thread be moved back to the Talkboard forum as it has absolutely nothing to do with Flyertalk technical issues anymore.

Last edited by ScottC; Oct 25, 2004 at 5:43 am
Old Oct 25, 2004, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Punki
How much simpler, clearer and less disruptive things would be if there were a thread that made a clear and simple statement of all bans. I.e.:

1. Poster X was issued a 7 day ban for posting obscene language.

2. Poster Z was issued a 30 day ban for personally insulting poster Y in Community.

3. Posters C, D, E and F were issued 7 day bans for almost simultaneously giving negative ratings to K's birthday thread.

4. Poster P was given a lifetime ban for posting dings using another poster's handle.

etc., etc., etc.

Our current program smacks of the HOUAC, or worse. These are sad days for FT.
Punki, I say the following with all due respect:

You are an "Original Member" of FT, and as such I hold you to a higher standard than most other members. Your current post is simply an extension of the moderator disclosure issue has been closed by Randy and the moderators on the ORP & TB boards. You and a few other long time members have now decided to grand stand on a third forum which is not moderated with the hopes that multiple posts can be made over the weekend while the "House of Miles" is closed.

My first grade teacher taught us that there is a right way and a wrong way to do anything in life. I am not attempting to bash anyone in this thread, but merely bringing to their attention how your actions are perceived by the FT community. There are several other ways that can be taken to resolve your concerns instead of what I consider to be the improper approach that you have taken to handle this matter. You could address your grievances by email or PM to Randy, who I know will respond in kind. If you are then not happy with the response, you could also ask for Randy to have a live chat over this issue of public disclosure. You cannot dispute the fact that Randy has always shown himself to be more than fair in the way he handles this board and deals with the membership. But you must also remember that this is his board, that he makes the rules and respect that fact. It has been that day since the inception of FT. If you are still not satisfied with Randy's decision at that point in time where you have attempted all of the proper methods of addressing this issue, you also have the option of not posting on FT.

Simply put, your current behavior is not appropriate.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
ScottC .. well also posted "for all to see" immediately adjacent to the link you post is this:

TalkBoard Volunteer Member Description

The following TalkBoard Volunteer Member Description was passed, 8 for and 1 against:

It is the goal and intention of the FlyerTalk host that at least two members of the TalkBoard be based outside of the North American continent. This is to recognize the diverse membership and interests of the entire FlyerTalk community.

http://www.flyertalk.com/townhall/sc...&id=1095254712

And as I have campaigned at least 10 times (VERY partially successfully) there is NO date shown upon which date this motion was voted - this being a perfect example of why dates SHOULD be always recorded for the ease of following of all interested members. Do you agree? Is is not difficult or terribly innovative to log a date against each motion.

Then ALL members are at least on the same page with TB decisions.

HOWEVER as it near the top of "Motions Passed" it appears clear it is a recent vote:

http://www.flyertalk.com/townhall/

So why vote in by a majority, 2 versions of the one thing? One mentioning oversea members, and one not?

I submit that as TB apparent recently voted on this very clear wording that it stays and forms a guaranteed part of this election result.

I guess these kind of clearly ambiguous calls rest in Randy's lap to adjudicate?

I suggest TB deciding anything otherwise it will appear to smack of less than altruistic motives. One new TB member from outside North America from 9 is not onerous or unrepresentative of the membership IMHO
Old Oct 25, 2004, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat

Last edited by skofarrell; Oct 25, 2004 at 6:29 am Reason: On 2nd thought, not interested in getting involved in this food fight.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:54 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Rssrsvp
Punki, I say the following with all due respect:

You are an "Original Member" of FT, and as such I hold you to a higher standard than most other members. Your current post is simply an extension of the moderator disclosure issue has been closed by Randy and the moderators on the ORP & TB boards. You and a few other long time members have now decided to grand stand on a third forum which is not moderated with the hopes that multiple posts can be made over the weekend while the "House of Miles" is closed.

My first grade teacher taught us that there is a right way and a wrong way to do anything in life. I am not attempting to bash anyone in this thread, but merely bringing to their attention how your actions are perceived by the FT community. There are several other ways that can be taken to resolve your concerns instead of what I consider to be the improper approach that you have taken to handle this matter. You could address your grievances by email or PM to Randy, who I know will respond in kind. If you are then not happy with the response, you could also ask for Randy to have a live chat over this issue of public disclosure. You cannot dispute the fact that Randy has always shown himself to be more than fair in the way he handles this board and deals with the membership. But you must also remember that this is his board, that he makes the rules and respect that fact. It has been that day since the inception of FT. If you are still not satisfied with Randy's decision at that point in time where you have attempted all of the proper methods of addressing this issue, you also have the option of not posting on FT.

I completely disagree. This is an important issue which several members feel strongly about (I am an original member too). If I were to write to Randy I would essentially say the same thing that Punki had. Do you think that we should all bombard Randy with dozens of emails or do you think that it is better that there be one thread where a structured discussion can take place.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:59 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
In any case, is it really the business of every FT member why member "xyz" was timed out? I'm not asking about talkboard candidates, or actions that you happen to disagree with, here (the moderator black helicopter theory).
Interesting wording. No it is not the business of EVERY FT member why a certain member was timed out.

However FT is a community and these things get discussed by a lot of members. I notice that Punki has been timed out and I'm sure that there is a flurry of emails being sent right now to know what happened. And in the worst case in these situations (I am not saying that is the case in case of Punki) one only hears one side of the story which hurts FT.

Since FT is a community you would expect that to happen. I completely agree with Punki that the reasons for a ban should be clearly and publicly stated.

Last edited by PG; Oct 25, 2004 at 10:25 am Reason: **** typos
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love when people use their own math, get defensive when it is proved wrong and then go off on another tangent.

Facts:

1) There are currently three members of the TB based outside North America. To my knowledge there has only ever been one person elected to the TB in the very first election based on a "foreigner" handicap. That person is no longer a member of the TB or even of FT (well, if he can ever honor his word and actually stay away).

2) Even if this "handicap" exists, it would not apply to two new members.

3) At my last count there are at least five candidates running from outside the US, not two.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by hfly
3) At my last count there are at least five candidates running from outside the US, not two.
Your count is correct -- as I pointed out in Post # 15 of this thread.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:56 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
... I am not attempting to bash anyone in this thread, but merely bringing to their attention how your actions are perceived by the FT community. ...
I don't believe that you (or anyone else) knows how actions are perceived by the FT community.

... But you must also remember that this is his board, that he makes the rules and respect that fact. It has been that day since the inception of FT. ...
I agree that this is Randy's board, not your board, not the board of anyone else but Randy!

for me this is a clear TOS violation, in color! I hope that someone with moderator power for this thread deals with it.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 8:59 am
RKG

Originally Posted by Rudi
I don't believe that you (or anyone else) knows how actions are perceived by the FT community.

I agree that this is Randy's board, not your board, not the board of anyone else but Randy!

for me this is a clear TOS violation, in color! I hope that someone with moderator power for this thread deals with it.
Careful Rudi, you will get timed out too...
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by RKG
Careful Rudi, you will get timed out too...

Last edited by alanw; Oct 25, 2004 at 9:37 am Reason: Unbunching some panties
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by alanw
If all these ......s
Moderators, is this considered proper posting under the TOS?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:33 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Dovster, this forum has no specific moderator, but the situation will be addressed.

As for the rest of you. The question asked by the OP was answered in post #2. The rest of this thread is off-topic and full of agendas. Why don't we all let it lie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.