Wiki Posts
Search

New post search randomly reset

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2004, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
New post search randomly reset

This has happened many times - most recently about an hour ago (2 pm PST).

I select new posts - get a list (this time some small number of 100's AIR), start going through, read a few, at some point when hit back button to go back to thread get message like "search cannot be completed". go back and start over - now I have about 50 "found" in my search

Most of the time it works well, can't figure out why sometimes it resets at random tmes and then gives me may fewer "finds".
Old Jun 9, 2004, 4:21 pm
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by estnet
This has happened many times - most recently about an hour ago (2 pm PST).

I select new posts - get a list (this time some small number of 100's AIR), start going through, read a few, at some point when hit back button to go back to thread get message like "search cannot be completed". go back and start over - now I have about 50 "found" in my search

Most of the time it works well, can't figure out why sometimes it resets at random tmes and then gives me may fewer "finds".
It may be something related to the session cookie, which determines the last activity time. How long has this been happening to you?

Old Jun 9, 2004, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

It has happened a few times over the last few weeks. I can't discern any pattern-sometimes I've been away from the computer for an hour, other times I have not been away at all Also no relation to the lenth of time I've been on the net or on FT.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:03 pm
dan at WebFlyer

It has happened a few times over the last few weeks. I can't discern any pattern-sometimes I've been away from the computer for an hour, other times I have not been away at all Also no relation to the lenth of time I've been on the net or on FT.
Since it appears to be fairly random, can you do me a favor for the next time it happens to you and list, in order, all the steps/links you went through until you got that error? Also, include the exact error message if possible. Sorry for all the steps, but it's something that I haven't seen yet and it may help to pinpoint the cause.

Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

thanks Dan - will try to do as you requested. Mostly it hasn't been a big issue (and it has happened at home and at work with completely different computers, systems, etc) but a minor annoyance. Will try to get more specifc data so you can do your thing.

Usually I expect the system to reset about 11 pm PST so was surprised at these occurrences.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Also - just looked and when I do recent posts the reason I have fewer total is that the last post is 1517 today. Do I remember correctly that it is usually until the last FT reset or is there a cookie or such that makes it since "my" most recent visit (the header says my last visit was at 1516 today - which is not true because I've been logged in for many hours before that)

Haven't run into the error message yet - but it will pop up again soon I'm sure
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:56 am
dan at WebFlyer

Also - just looked and when I do recent posts the reason I have fewer total is that the last post is 1517 today. Do I remember correctly that it is usually until the last FT reset or is there a cookie or such that makes it since "my" most recent visit (the header says my last visit was at 1516 today - which is not true because I've been logged in for many hours before that)

Haven't run into the error message yet - but it will pop up again soon I'm sure
It's sounding more and more like a cookie issue, based on that. I made some changes over the last few days regarding FlyerTalk cookies, but if you're saying that your errors go back a few weeks, then it may be something else. Do you use the same ISP for work and home?

Old Jun 10, 2004, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I don't remember when it first started (days or weeks). today it is working as usual -will let you know if I get the error message again(and this time I'll write it down instead of just hoping it was a quirk )

I don't use the same ISP at home and at work. At home I have my own wireless DSL(sbc) and at work it is a large centralized server with multiple stations(which I guess could use sbc as well-don't know how to tell).

Last edited by estnet; Jun 10, 2004 at 3:28 pm
Old Jun 10, 2004, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Okay it happened again - I looked at a thread - hit the back button and got the following:

vBulletin Message

Sorry-no matches. Please try some different terms.

The above line was in a box - here is the url (if it is of any use)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...4&pp=25&page=2

don't know if this helps - but I had more than one window open with FT - when I went back and went to forums and then new posts on the page that had given me the error messsage it said my last visit was at 5:02 (the error happened about 5:58) and there were 110 results of search (eg new posts)
where previously it had been over 200 or so. Something is being reset but I don't know how or why
Old Jun 11, 2004, 11:03 am
dan at WebFlyer

Okay it happened again - I looked at a thread - hit the back button and got the following:

vBulletin Message

Sorry-no matches. Please try some different terms.

The above line was in a box - here is the url (if it is of any use)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...4&pp=25&page=2

don't know if this helps - but I had more than one window open with FT - when I went back and went to forums and then new posts on the page that had given me the error messsage it said my last visit was at 5:02 (the error happened about 5:58) and there were 110 results of search (eg new posts)
where previously it had been over 200 or so. Something is being reset but I don't know how or why
It could be a problem with the multiple open windows affecting your FlyerTalk session cookie (the cookie that determines the last time you access the board). I've been on other vB boards and have noticed odd behavior when using "New Posts" links and my Back/Forward buttons. Personally, I try and open threads from the New Posts search results in new tabs, and don't try and reload the search results (or use my back/forward buttons). When I'm all done viewing the new threads that interested me, I do a fresh "New Posts" search to see if anything new has been posted since.

Old Jun 11, 2004, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

open posts in new tabs? How to I do this. I'd love to avoid having to go back and forth if possible.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:22 am
dan at WebFlyer

open posts in new tabs? How to I do this. I'd love to avoid having to go back and forth if possible.
Sorry about the confusing "tabs" reference... I've been on tabbed browsers too long.

What I meant with my suggestion earlier is to do your New Posts search as normal, but when you get the resulting set of links back, open those links in new windows (Right-Click or CTRL-Click for Macs), rather than clicking on one and having the page load over your search results. That way, when you're done reading a search result, you can close that window and not have to use your back button (and possibly cause another search error when it has to redo the search) to view the other search results.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.