Wiki Posts
Search

Search only going back about one month

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2004, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
Search only going back about one month

No matter what I try, I can't get search to pull up threads more than about one month old. Does the BBS need to be reindexed?
Old May 21, 2004, 9:43 am
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by AlexB
No matter what I try, I can't get search to pull up threads more than about one month old. Does the BBS need to be reindexed?
A reindex probably wouldn't hurt, but first, what terms - and in what forums - are you searching? And, are you using the "Advanced Search" and its options?

Old May 24, 2004, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
I was trying a search in Community and experienced some problems. Specifically, I was using the "advanced search" and trying to locate some old threads with "Name" in the thread title. I know that they exist, as I stumbled acrooss another one last week (which I bumped up and is still active).
Old May 24, 2004, 1:33 pm
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by cactuspete
I was trying a search in Community and experienced some problems.
What were the problems? What error messages did you receive (if any?)

UPDATE: The word "Name" is considered by vBB to be a common word, and isn't indexed for searching, so I've removed that word from the "don't index" list. Try your search again and let me know what you get (or don't get); also, include any error messages you may receive.

Old May 24, 2004, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, HH, & IHG Dia; Bonvoy Titan
Here is the MilesBuzz thread I was searching for:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9124

I searched for UPS, which is in the title as well as the body of the thread. Yes, I fiddled with Advanced Search, Find Posts From. I tried searching both All Open Forums and MilesBuzz. It would only pull up matches as far back as mid-April, regardless of what I put in Find Posts From.

Just tried it again today, and it's still happening, so you can replicate the problem.
Old May 24, 2004, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dan at WebFlyer
What were the problems? What error messages did you receive (if any?)

UPDATE: The word "Name" is considered by vBB to be a common word, and isn't indexed for searching, so I've removed that word from the "don't index" list. Try your search again and let me know what you get (or don't get); also, include any error messages you may receive.
For instance, this thread (titled 'Name Five FTers...':

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193368

doesn't come up when I search thread titles using either "name" or "five".
Old May 24, 2004, 3:05 pm
Suspended

I searched for UPS ...
I believe that the search function requires 4 or more letters.
Old May 24, 2004, 4:56 pm
dan at WebFlyer

Here is the MilesBuzz thread I was searching for:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9124

I searched for UPS, which is in the title as well as the body of the thread. Yes, I fiddled with Advanced Search, Find Posts From. I tried searching both All Open Forums and MilesBuzz. It would only pull up matches as far back as mid-April, regardless of what I put in Find Posts From.

Just tried it again today, and it's still happening, so you can replicate the problem.
Yeah, I can't get that thread either, using "UPS". But, when I use "FedEx", I get it. I think it's based on our allowing three-letter search terms after we already set up the board and indexed everything. More than likely when we reindex (don't have a date yet, though), it'll fix some of these weird results/non-results.

Old May 24, 2004, 4:58 pm
dan at WebFlyer

I believe that the search function requires 4 or more letters.
That was the case when we relaunched, but the demand for three-letter search terms (to use for airport code references, etc) was too great, so we dropped the limit to three letters or more (from the default four letters).

Old May 24, 2004, 5:02 pm
dan at WebFlyer

For instance, this thread (titled 'Name Five FTers...':

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193368

doesn't come up when I search thread titles using either "name" or "five".
"Five" is another of those common words. I just removed "one" through "nine" (ten wasn't in there) so they won't be restricted words anymore.

As for finding results with "name" and "five", even though I've removed those two words from the "do not index" list, it may take a while for them to start showing up within the search system.

Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:21 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Still only going back about a month

Originally Posted by dan at WebFlyer
A reindex probably wouldn't hurt, but first, what terms - and in what forums - are you searching? And, are you using the "Advanced Search" and its options?
In the Marriott forum using the advanced search, looking for San Juan or SJU, I'm only getting four returns. I know there are alot more threads than this, because I've posted on several of them.

Are they in the archives? How do search for them there? Am I doing something wrong?
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:31 am
dan at WebFlyer

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
In the Marriott forum using the advanced search, looking for San Juan or SJU, I'm only getting four returns. I know there are alot more threads than this, because I've posted on several of them.

Are they in the archives? How do search for them there? Am I doing something wrong?
We don't have an "Archives" any more like we used to (ala PastTalk). Now, the "Archives" link at the bottom of the page takes you to a stripped down, read-only version of our forums. It's main purpose is to enable search engine spiders to crawl the site easily. It also has a useful secondary function, which is to allow traveling members to read (but not post to) FlyerTalk while on a PDA, etc.

As for your search terms, it sounds like you're doing everything correctly... your limited results are probably related to an incomplete search index.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.