Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Any way to show only new threads in subscribed forums?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Is there any way to show ONLY the new threads in a forum?

I want to do this so I can use the synchronize feature in IE to download all new threads which I am subscribed to. So before I run off the catch a plane, I could download and have loads of reading material for the flight. But it takes too long if older threads (with no new messages) are included in the download, and forums that I have no interested in are also included.

In theory this could be done one of three ways, but each one of these ways has a limit that prevents it from working:

1) By using "my flyertalk", and then synchronizing, thereby only getting the forums that I am subscribed to. But the problem is that when the forume opens, there is no way to display (and therefore download) only the threads with new messages. It would be great if under the option "Default Thread Age Cut Off" there was an option like "Show only new threads".

2) By Using "New Posts" and then synchronizing, thereby only getting new threads. The problem is that New Posts shows threads in all forums including ones that I have no interest in. It would be great if there was an option to set New Posts to only show threads in subscribed Forums.

3) By using "Advanced Search" with criteria "Find Posts From: Your Last Visit and Newer", and limiting it to "Search Subscribed Forums" thereby coming up with all new threads in subscribed forums. But the search will not allow a search without keywords or just using "*" to catch everything. It would be great if the search did not require any keywords. (and such a search would not overload the site since it wouldnt even look in the text of the thread).

I think it would be great to get this working, since it would make my already unproductive flight time even less productive!

Anyone see any way that I missed?

Ron
Old Apr 26, 2004, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Now that we have a bit more experience with the new system, does anybody have any additional ideas on how to accomplish this?

I'm wondering if maybe there is a URL construction that could do it. I noticed the the "New Posts" link uses a construction like "http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew" so it is using the search function. I wonder if there is some way to play with this URL to limit this search to subscribed forms (an option in the advanced search...)
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:55 pm
dan at WebFlyer

It doesn't appear to be a standard option with the vBB system, although there may be a hack for it out there. We'll keep an eye out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.