Wiki Posts
Search

Boldface for unread posts?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2004, 11:05 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Boldface for unread posts?

When I start reading FT, posts made since the last time I visited are in boldface (I think). But after reading a few fora, the timestamp seems to get reset to the current time and only one or two (or no) threads are boldfaced. Shouldn't the boldface persist until I'm done reading all the fora? Ideally a separate timestamp would be maintaned for each forum so if I didn't read, for example, the United forum today then when I returned to read it tomorrow it would still boldface all the threads since I last visited.

QL
Old Apr 25, 2004, 12:00 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I've been talking about some of this in this other thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311491

I agree, I wish it could at least maintain the read/unread for the current session. It can't even seem to do that at the moment. (I don't think the code is in place within vBB to maintain the read/unread over multiple sessions.)
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:16 pm
dan at WebFlyer

For both of you, when you're navigating the forums, are you using your browser's back/forward buttons, or are you only using the navigation links provided by the system?

Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
This is exactly the same behavior I was asking about in this thread.

There's a time limit set on the board that detects activity on a search. If you dally too long in a thread (which is easy to do these days as I'm reading a lot more than I have in the past, or you follow crosslinks to other threads) then it deletes your search and you lose the bolding and list of new posts. It's very annoying.

I've started recently reading another board that uses this same software, and it does the same thing. The explanation I recieved from the admin there was that it drops searches after seeing no activity to save memory and bandwidth on the server. His suggestion was to bookmark long threads and come back them later after you read all your other new posts. It's annoying and cumbersome.

Which brings me back to question of Dan I had a while ago - is there anyway to extend the time period allowed before you lose the search?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:16 pm
dan at WebFlyer

I bumped the cookie expiration time limit from 15 minutes to 30 minutes to hopefully alleviate some of the "new post" timeouts.

Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
Perfect!

Originally Posted by dan at WebFlyer
I bumped the cookie expiration time limit from 15 minutes to 30 minutes to hopefully alleviate some of the "new post" timeouts.
Thanks for looking into this.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 7:43 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Generally I just shift+Click to open a new forum or thread, then close the window when I'm done. If there are multiple pages I use the page number hyperlinks to navigate but may use the browser back and forward buttons within a thread with multiple pages.

QL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.