Wiki Posts
Search

Search: what are "child forums"?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2004, 7:50 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Search: what are "child forums"?

When I use advanced search, it shows me all of the FT forums. At the bottom, it has a box checked that says "Also search in child forums". What are these forums, and where are they?
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Child Forums

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
When I use advanced search, it shows me all of the FT forums. At the bottom, it has a box checked that says "Also search in child forums". What are these forums, and where are they?
Think of child forums as “sub-forums” of a parent forum and are recursive in structure.

For example, you can instruct the Search feature to search the Car Rental Programs/Partners forum. If you select “Also search in child forums”, you are also instructing the search to include the Avis, National, Hertz, Budget, etc. forums (which are all child forums of the Car Rental Programs/Partners forum), as well as any forums that are child forums of Avis, National, Hertz, Budget, etc.

You also have the option to turn off this feature and manually select only the forums you wish to search.

I hope this answers your question, SanDiego1K.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:18 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Thanks, Canarsie

And here I was wondering if Randy was planning to start a FlyerTalk for the under 12s!
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:25 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Children and Pre-Teenage FlyerTalk Members

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
And here I was wondering if Randy was planning to start a FlyerTalk for the under 12s!
Actually, you might be amazed at how many FlyerTalk members are around that age. Some of them can be fairly knowledgable, also!

I think it is great! Traveling is one of the best methods of learning — after all, what better classroom is there than the planet Earth? How better to learn history, social studies, language, etc.?

Furthermore, browsing FlyerTalk (not including some of the OMNI forum, which some may argue is a “child forum”) is a wholesome way for a girl or boy to spend som free time and learn while staying out of trouble...
Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:51 pm

My 12.5-year-old daughter enjoys reading FlyerTalk. She thinks there are numerous great humorists here (and I agree).
Old Apr 10, 2004, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The 'Child Forum' is the final one that shows on the drop down Menu.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Think of child forums as “sub-forums” of a parent forum and are recursive in structure.
I think "hierarchial" would be more accurate than "recursive". The latter could imply that your search might never be completed.

FewMiles..
Old Apr 11, 2004, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by FewMiles
I think hierarchial would be more accurate than recursive. The latter could imply that your search might never be completed.
And the former could imply that it's a feature to be used only by ceratin social classes. It's a set of terminolgy that makes perfect sense primarily to UNIX geeks.

One can only wonder about the images conjured up by the technologically unwashed when they hear about orphan forums.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Actually, you might be amazed at how many FlyerTalk members are around that age. Some of them can be fairly knowledgeable, also!

I think it is great! Travelling is one of the best methods of learning — after all, what better classroom is there than the planet Earth? How better to learn history, social studies, language, etc.?

Furthermore, browsing FlyerTalk (not including some of the OMNI forum, which some may argue is a “child forum”) is a wholesome way for a girl or boy to spend som free time and learn while staying out of trouble...
I'm under 18 and know a few others that are too. Doesn't mean we are less knowledgeable! I come here to help and be helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.