New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Disable email notifications of quoting:

My FlyerTalk > User Tagging (way at the bottom of the left-hand side navbar) > Settings > Hide Quote Alerts

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usertag.php?do=profile&action=options

Prevent others from "follow"ing you

My FlyerTalk > Edit Options > Login & Privacy > Don't allow other users to follow me

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
Print Wikipost

New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:01 pm

I'm still seeing it several times a week and it's starting to really annoy me. I shouldn't have to dismiss it more than once.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I'm still seeing it several times a week and it's starting to really annoy me. I shouldn't have to dismiss it more than once.
Agreed and agreed
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:18 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
1. Are you seeing it multiple times per session? I believe that if you have an adblocker on, you should see it each time you come to FT, but only once.
2. If you are seeing it more than once per session, be sure your browser is not clearing cookies, because that will cause it to pop up more often.
3. And of course the best way to get rid of it is to turn off your adblocker, or whitelist FT on it

Last edited by IBobi; Apr 24, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
OK... then explain to me why I'm getting it... I shouldn't get ads regardless of an adblocker PLUS I turned it off for FT. I get the same message shown above.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:54 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
OK... then explain to me why I'm getting it... I shouldn't get ads regardless of an adblocker PLUS I turned it off for FT. I get the same message shown above.
It's not an ad. Thus, would not be affected by ad-free status. Only by presence of an adblocker.

Are you certain it's off and you have no other ad blocking software enabled?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:19 am

Yup... I even double checked it before I posted. It's completely off for FT and has been since the new features were brought live.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:00 am

Still getting that pop up saying new features are arrived, happened just now
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by IBobi
1. Are you seeing it multiple times per session? I believe that if you have an adblocker on, you should see it each time you come to FT, but only once.
2. If you are seeing it more than once per session, be sure your browser is not clearing cookies, because that will cause it to pop up more often.
3. And of course the best way to get rid of it is to turn off your adblocker, or whitelist FT on it
My adblocker is currently blocking 11 third party scripts on this forum page alone, not even including the google analytics scripts. With the adblocker off, the load time for the same page was significantly longer and it is most certainly not a hardware or connection issue. Sorry but I can't justify turning my adblocker off on FT.

I'm not opposed to disabling my adblocker for websites that provide me with great content so they can get a little money out of it, but having an intrusive pop-up "reminder" show up repeatedly is not necessary. Especially when it is telling me to disable my adblocker to access features I don't want at all. The new features have been here for a month and a half, I think everyone who wants them knows by now.

For the record, #1 is not accurate at all as I do not get the new feature reminder pop up every time I visit. Some days I will get it multiple times a day, multiple times a session even. Other days I won't see it at all, only for it to show back up a few days later, like today. I visit every day.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by jt82
Still getting that pop up saying new features are arrived, happened just now
I get this too. Periodically I get the 'New Features' pop up, even though I've dismissed it a dozen times already.
Old May 2, 2017, 6:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
So I'm getting notifications that I've been quoted. That's fine; that's what I want.

But where am I being quoted?

Is there a way to know?
Old May 2, 2017, 7:35 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by danger
So I'm getting notifications that I've been quoted. That's fine; that's what I want.

But where am I being quoted?

Is there a way to know?
Good question and it took me a while to figure this out, too:

If you look at the image below, near the top right corner of the page the words "Private Messages" will change to "Your Notifications" or something like that when you've been quoted. Click on "Your Notifications" when you see that and it will bring you to a page that shows you the posts you've been quoted in.
Attached Images  
Old May 2, 2017, 5:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by lo2e
Good question and it took me a while to figure this out, too:

If you look at the image below, near the top right corner of the page the words "Private Messages" will change to "Your Notifications" or something like that when you've been quoted. Click on "Your Notifications" when you see that and it will bring you to a page that shows you the posts you've been quoted in.
Easy. Thank you.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:47 am

Does something get reset each week on Friday?

I stopped getting the pop up window about the new features except on Friday. I noticed that it was Friday last week but wasn't certain it happened the previous week, though I thought it did.

It just happened again upon entering FT - first time since last Friday.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Does something get reset each week on Friday?

I stopped getting the pop up window about the new features except on Friday. I noticed that it was Friday last week but wasn't certain it happened the previous week, though I thought it did.

It just happened again upon entering FT - first time since last Friday.
You'd think they could just turn off this crap now. None of it's "new" anymore.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:04 am

it keeps happening, make it stop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.