New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Disable email notifications of quoting:

My FlyerTalk > User Tagging (way at the bottom of the left-hand side navbar) > Settings > Hide Quote Alerts

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usertag.php?do=profile&action=options

Prevent others from "follow"ing you

My FlyerTalk > Edit Options > Login & Privacy > Don't allow other users to follow me

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
Print Wikipost

New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are not the only person to note this *&%
Turning all this new stuff off is not hard, and seems to work

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...-blockers.html
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by IBobi
You should not be getting alerts when someone quotes you. I'll look into it.
... 3. Quote notices are now turned off by default so won't be an issue any longer.
oh really ????

I keep getting a popup asking if I want FT to enable notifications ... I want to be notified about PMs, but I don't give a rip about a notification that there's been an increase in the count of how many times I've been quoted or how many of my posts include a quote

totally useless enhancement
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
OMG seriously? These new 'features' should be set default to off/disabled unless you go in and actively choose to turn them on.

Luckily I went in and turned all of the notifications and email off so I didn't get much.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:43 am
dfe
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K/MM; *A Gold Life; CX Gold; Marriott Platinum LT; SPG Plat; HHonors Diamond
In this case, it would not have helped.

1. The only part of the tool that was a problem was quote notifications.
2. We did not know they were even there, so even if we asked someone about the tools we implemented, we would not have asked about the tool that ended up being a minor, temporary annoyance.
3. Quote notices are now turned off by default so won't be an issue any longer.
Stop this stupid nonsense. Every time I click on something in FT now I get a popup about the new features. I can find no way to turn off ad blocker. This is like something a 4th grade computer club would invent--although probably that is a disservice to 4th graders who would be more intelligent to pull a stunt like this. What in the world were you thinking? Apparently not thinking at all. I am very angry.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, it shouldn't be necessary. If someone opted out of the email notification earlier, it should *stay* turned off and not require intervention.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, it shouldn't be necessary. If someone opted out of the email notification earlier, it should *stay* turned off and not require intervention.
Well whether it should be necessary or not (and I agree w/ you), if it's turned on again the only way to turn it is to do it again. So FTers can let themselves be bothered or go in & turn it off again.

Cheers.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Get Notifications?

Huh? I'm on a desktop computer. Isn't this for people using mobile devices? If so, why am I getting it?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:59 am
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Is the intent to show the pop-up more than once?

I'm getting it every time I switch to a different forum.
There should not be such a popup more than once per session. I'll ask tech about it.

You may want to ensure that your browser accepts cookies and that you are logged in, since that is likely how this is kept track of.

Originally Posted by lo2e
Is there any way to disable having the system automatically link hashtags?
Not that I know of. But it should not affect anything other than the link turning blue.

Originally Posted by dfe
Every time I click on something in FT now I get a popup about the new features. I can find no way to turn off ad blocker.
Can you post a screen shot of the popup about the new features? I'm not seeing it.

Instructions for turning off your particular ad blocker should come with your blocker; there is also a link to some general instructions in our notice that asks you to turn it off.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

NVM I am now seeing the "try the new features" popup -- we are working to get it to appear only once per session. I'm sorry about that, I wasn't aware of it before now.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dfe
Stop this stupid nonsense. Every time I click on something in FT now I get a popup about the new features. I can find no way to turn off ad blocker. This is like something a 4th grade computer club would invent--although probably that is a disservice to 4th graders who would be more intelligent to pull a stunt like this. What in the world were you thinking? Apparently not thinking at all. I am very angry.
I wish some development focus would go to stopping the incessant spam advertising that pops up on the mobile site at least 2-3 times a day instead of rolling out features with little value-add
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Quote notifications are now OPT-IN -- see above!

Here's how to turn them ON:

Go to MyFlyerTalk
Go to USER TAGGING
Go to SETTINGS
Go to:
Quote Restriction (to only be alerted when someone on your friends list quotes you)
Quote Alerts (to never be alerted when you're quoted)
Quote emails (Check this box if you wish to receive an email whenever you are quoted in a post)

SAVE CHANGES
It is not opt-in, it is opt-out. I had to go to the settings to check a box to stop emails and such. That is opt-out. All those boxes should be pre-checked... and if I (or someone) wants in - they should have to un check.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:03 pm

There should not be such a popup more than once per session. I'll ask tech about it.

You may want to ensure that your browser accepts cookies and that you are logged in, since that is likely how this is kept track of.
I am logged in, and accept cookies, but I do use Privacy Badger (from EFF) which attempts to block mostly third party trackers/cookies, which should not interfere with flyertalk or ad delivery, etc. It just blocks unrelated web sites from being able to track me. It's a great plug-in.

For example, the cookies blocked from this page include:

c.amazon-adsystem.com
securepubads.g.doubleclick.net
loadus.exelator.com
www.google-analytics.com
ajax.googleapis.com
www.googletagservices.com
www.google.com
b.scorecardresearch.com
mtrx.go.sonobi.com

You can see those are all unrelated to flyertalk.com. Any cookie that's directly related to flyertalk.com would be allowed on this site.

Do you know which cookie it is? I can look for it.

-David
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How do you turn off the ability of others to follow you?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

You should no longer be seeing the popup more than once per session -- probably less.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

Do you know which cookie it is? I can look for it.

-David
It's not any of those. It's a FlyerTalk cookie.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
It is not opt-in, it is opt-out. I had to go to the settings to check a box to stop emails and such. That is opt-out. All those boxes should be pre-checked... and if I (or someone) wants in - they should have to un check.
There are some features on that page that are opt-in. This one is set to opt-out.

This is not a generic "stop emails" selection.

Go to MyFlyerTalk
Settings
User Tagging - General Settings
Mention Emails - Check this box if you do not wish to receive an email whenever you are mentioned in a post

That box should be checked. If not, check it and click SAVE CHANGES.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do you turn off the ability of others to follow you?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...-blockers.html

MyFlyerTalk
Login & Privacy
Disable Follow User

Check the box and click SAVE CHANGES.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.