Search

Suggestion for the Implementation of New "Features" - Opt In, not Opt Out

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:47 am
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Suggestion for the Implementation of New "Features" - Opt In, not Opt Out

I'm starting a new topic with this because I don't want to interfere with the tech support going on in the other threads.

Based on how the newest feature - infinite scroll - has gone and the feedback received so far, I humbly ask that any new features that are introduced to the forum be done in an Opt In manner instead of Opt Out. Infinite Scroll is not the first new "enhancement" that has been met with, shall we say, less than favorable reviews, and each time something gets rolled out less than perfectly, there are inevitably users that are coming to the tech support forum (or just posting it in whichever forum they frequent - Delta or wherever) looking for answers on how to revert back. I can't imagine this is an efficient use of anyone's time to have to repeatedly help people get out of a mess they didn't create. If I choose to go into my settings and try out a new feature, that is my own doing. Having it forced upon me just feels awkward, especially when, just like infinite scroll, there are still issues to be resolved with it.

I can even live with new features that are going to become mandatory being Opt In first, then eventually become mandatory. But rolling out an imperfect feature and forcing it upon everyone when it is not mandatory to have it is just not right.

There is another forum site I frequent that also uses vB software that does Opt In instead of Opt Out. Please consider this for future feature rollouts.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I agree, great suggestion.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I agree as well. Well said lo2e.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:28 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Hello lo2e and thanks for writing.

When new features are in the works, we make every effort to weigh business and community considerations, and then make a decision based on our best possible balance between both.

In the case of Infinite Scroll, opt-out was the best choice for our purposes, and to give every user a shot at trying something they might otherwise never have bothered to even turn on.

Best,

Paul
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by IBobi
Hello lo2e and thanks for writing.

When new features are in the works, we make every effort to weigh business and community considerations, and then make a decision based on our best possible balance between both.

In the case of Infinite Scroll, opt-out was the best choice for our purposes, and to give every user a shot at trying something they might otherwise never have bothered to even turn on.

Best,

Paul
This sounds like, if too many people end up opting-out, IB will just end up making it mandatory and removing the ability to opt-out eventually.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I agree as well. Well said lo2e.
Me, too.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
In the case of Infinite Scroll, opt-out was the best choice for our purposes and to give every user a shot at trying something they might otherwise never have bothered to even turn on.
You were probably hoping this would come across as generous and broadening users' horizons (insert "A Whole New World" sequence) but unfortunately it reads like self-serving spin to me.

- Users don't like surprises.

- If you announce a new feature and make it opt-in, if it sounds compelling enough, then people will switch. If not, and people weren't clamoring for it, maybe it wasn't so important to the users for you to develop it.

- Yes, sometimes something new comes around and it's a case of "this is the product/feature/thing I never knew I wanted." Those are more unicorn-y though.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:26 pm

Ok, I'm always the sticky wicket. I think most features should be opt-in and not opt-out. It's obvious opt-out is always better for the provider .

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:27 pm

In the case of Infinite Scroll, opt-out was the best choice for our purposes,

Best,

Paul
Bolding mine. 'Nuf said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.