Wiki Posts
Search

Never considered....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Never considered....

Deeply disappointed that FT would take money from these scumbags.

Doubly disappointed that I have to see this crap every time I hit the FlyerTalk page...

Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Does FT sign up directly with advertisers, or are the ads provided by a third-party ad broker?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ads are usually based on sites you've visited - I'm not sure FT has anything to do with what does or does not display. Perhaps you clicked on a link someone posted here?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rjque
The ads are usually based on sites you've visited - I'm not sure FT has anything to do with what does or does not display. Perhaps you clicked on a link someone posted here?
they base it on threads visited. Someone mentioned that they got golf related ads because of participating in a few of the golf themed posts in Omni.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:14 pm

OP the ads are personalized based on your search history, sites you have visited, etc. So you may have read a news article / visited some site / posted something related to the NRA in the recent past.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
One of my faves was a google ad after I looked up "prong horned antelope".

A few web pages later, I saw an ad that said "looking to buy a prong horned antelope?" Um...no, I'm not.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
After watching the first season of Narcos, I looked up hotels in Medellín (just for a) fun and b) trying to find out what hotels they used in some scene). I received a couple of unsolicited email reminders for hotels in Colombia...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Odd, I almost never see any ads on flyertalk not travel related. All of them are travel credit card ads.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
That is absolutely correct.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I'm not sure any of this behaviour is unique to FT. I've lost count of the number of times I've google'd something or browsed something, only to realize in a day or two that ads on pretty much every forum I visit are tailored to that something.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by shuigao
I'm not sure any of this behaviour is unique to FT. I've lost count of the number of times I've google'd something or browsed something, only to realize in a day or two that ads on pretty much every forum I visit are tailored to that something.
Agree.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker

A few web pages later, I saw an ad that said "looking to buy a prong horned antelope?" Um...no, I'm not.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure it's Google Adsense--it's tied to the content of the page. Unfortunately, on discussion forums this has a tendency to go hilariously wrong.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker

Many years ago my wife was undergoing a nuclear medicine test.

eBay: Looking to buy technitium-99?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
After watching the first season of Narcos, I looked up hotels in Medellín (just for a) fun and b) trying to find out what hotels they used in some scene). I received a couple of unsolicited email reminders for hotels in Colombia...
Travelocity is obnoxious about that!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.