Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Problems Accessing FlyerTalk When Using A VPN" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat
Consolidated "Problems Accessing FlyerTalk When Using A VPN" thread

I started using a VPN on my personal PC and phone a few weeks ago. Everything works fine except for FT; the site doesn't load when I am routing through the VPN. It works fine when I don't use the VPN, but it's annoying to have to disconnect and reconnect. Any suggestions? Might FT be blocking my IP address? Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Is this a work VPN or a personal one? I use Private Internet Access and have noticed some of their Euro headends are/were blocked. All my other VPNs (SSL or IPSEC) work just fine.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat
Yep, it's Private Internet Access. I'm using the Florida one so I can try switching, perhaps.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA-EXP, SQ-PPS, Marriott PP
Ah cool, try the Netherlands headend. That one works for me and it has lots of bandwidth.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:31 am

IP Blocking and VPN Access Blocked Issues (consolidated)

I'm using VPNs to log into to FlyerTalk. Certain ones always timeout. Are particular IPs being blocked?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by SwisherTown
I'm using VPNs to log into to FlyerTalk. Certain ones always timeout. Are particular IPs being blocked?
Yup, FlyerTalk very obviously blocks some IPs belonging to data centres where VPN servers are hosted.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Afaik, IB does not unilaterally block any vpn IPs, and IP blocking is used pretty much as a last resort. That said, if the the IP(s) in question really have been blocked, it's possible it was done in error while dealing with a spam attack or other disciplinary action.

The best course of action is to send a PM to the IB techs, giving the specific IP or IP range that appears to be having access difficulty. If there is an inappropriate block in place, it would be good to get the issue corrected so others don't encounter the same problem.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Afaik, IB does not unilaterally block any vpn IPs, and IP blocking is used pretty much as a last resort. That said, if the the IP(s) in question really have been blocked, it's possible it was done in error while dealing with a spam attack or other disciplinary action.

The best course of action is to send a PM to the IB techs, giving the specific IP or IP range that appears to be having access difficulty. If there is an inappropriate block in place, it would be good to get the issue corrected so others don't encounter the same problem.
Will do when I get home and can test my VPN provider's different endpoints. I know you block a lot of VPN IPs in the Netherlands, presumably due to spam coming from the same data centres.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
VPN access to FT blocked

I am unable to access Flyertalk.com through Astrill OpenWeb VPN.

This is quite frustrating as direct access to FT form mainland China is sloooow.

How can access from a VPN be restored?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: United Plat and falling
try switching VPN servers

I was having a similar problem last week, but found that by switching servers, I could access FT. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fischi
I was having a similar problem last week, but found that by switching servers, I could access FT. Hope that helps.
fischi,

I've also heard that it is possible to contact some admins here to remove the block. Any idea who to contact?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: United Plat and falling
Originally Posted by sthubbar
fischi,

I've also heard that it is possible to contact some admins here to remove the block. Any idea who to contact?
Nope. Sorry. But each forum
Has a moderator - you could start with this forum.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'll point this query out to Admin.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:47 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Looking into this guys.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IBobi
Looking into this guys.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.