Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

FT automatic logout time is too short and can result in lost posts

Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

If you log in to your Flyertalk account and start writing a new post (or a new thread), and you take your time to do it thoughtfully (or get distracted in the process), then by the time you finish writing your post, your login has timed out.
While the forum says gives an option to log back in, you cannot really post what you've written (and I had lost my post at some point that way).
The best way is to open a separate window, start a new post, and then copy-and-paste what you've written.
(I don't think it matters, but I've observed this in Firefox on Windows).

The only workaround that prevents this is to check "remember me" (for a persistent login), but this is not practical if you are using someone else's or a public computer to write a post.

A reasonable behavior for when you don't check "remember me" would be like that found on many bank/financial websites: if you are active, don't time out the session. If the session is close to the timeout period while the browser window is idle, open a notification and let the user to extend the session.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by 1StRanger
If you log in to your Flyertalk account and start writing a new post (or a new thread), and you take your time to do it thoughtfully (or get distracted in the process), then by the time you finish writing your post, your login has timed out.
While the forum says gives an option to log back in, you cannot really post what you've written (and I had lost my post at some point that way).
The best way is to open a separate window, start a new post, and then copy-and-paste what you've written.
(I don't think it matters, but I've observed this in Firefox on Windows).

The only workaround that prevents this is to check "remember me" (for a persistent login), but this is not practical if you are using someone else's or a public computer to write a post.

A reasonable behavior for when you don't check "remember me" would be like that found on many bank/financial websites: if you are active, don't time out the session. If the session is close to the timeout period while the browser window is idle, open a notification and let the user to extend the session.
I have also run into this in the past and having learned the hard way , what I do now is to periodically preview my post as that keeps the post intact (unless of course you wait too long to decide to preview the post )
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:04 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
I've asked if they can put this idea on the back burner. We shall see.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Try Lazarus: Form Recovery extension.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
I have also run into this in the past and having learned the hard way , what I do now is to periodically preview my post as that keeps the post intact (unless of course you wait too long to decide to preview the post )
That's a useful hint. Thanks for that, I don't remember if I had known about it. But if you are distracted from the computer (or the particular browser windows), it still does not help.

Originally Posted by IBobi
I've asked if they can put this idea on the back burner. We shall see.
Thank you!

As an aside: Sometimes, when one of my former bosses wanted something done by somebody from a supporting infrastructure units, he was going to "light a fire under that person's a.. back"... I wonder if that's how your "back burner" works.

Originally Posted by TWA884
Try Lazarus: Form Recovery extension.
Thank you. It could be a very useful extension in some cases.
But when you are writing from a computer that is not your own (and that's one of the cases when you don't want to have a persistent login), you do not (or cannot) install extensions. And that's when problems described happen.
BTW, I suspect, it might not be available for some browsers (e.g. IE).
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by 1StRanger
That's a useful hint. Thanks for that, I don't remember if I had known about it. But if you are distracted from the computer (or the particular browser windows), it still does not help.
I've run into this a few times. Now I periodically copy what I'm typing, especially before I click on submit. That way I don't lose the information.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.