Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Quotes truncate / margin narrowed - due to mobile update?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I just noticed something in the last week or so (maybe around the time some of the other issues popped up so wondering if it has to do w/ some update).

Before, IIRC, if I quoted someone's post & their sentence(s) went across the screen when they posted (such as w/ this post), when I quoted them it should show their posts basically in the same format, although italicized. Now when I read posts where someone is quoting someone (or I'm quoting someone), the quote truncates halfway across the screen & causes the quote to go longer in terms of space.

At first I thought it was just FTers writing from their mobile devices & so it was an automatic truncation due to that. But I primarily access FT (and do quotes) on my laptop & realized that it's that way on every single quote, so it can't be just due to posting on a tablet or phone. Besides the fact that it's annoying to read truncated posts it also takes up more screen real estate.

Just curious - was this due to a recent update & done inadvertently or was it done deliberately?

I'm going to quote this post after I post it so you can see what I mean.

Cheers.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I just noticed something in the last week or so (maybe around the time some of the other issues popped up so wondering if it has to do w/ some update).

Before, IIRC, if I quoted someone's post & their sentence(s) went across the screen when they posted, when I quoted them it should show their posts basically in the same format, although italicized.

Now when I read posts where someone is quoting someone (or I'm quoting someone), the quote truncates halfway across the screen & causes the quote to go longer in terms of space.

At first I thought it was just FTers writing from their mobile devices & so it was an automatic truncation due to that. But I primarily access FT (and do quotes) on my laptop & realized that it's that way on every single quote, so it can't be just due to posting on a tablet or phone.

Besides the fact that it's annoying to read truncated posts it also takes up more screen real estate.

Just curious - was this due to a recent update & done inadvertently or was it done deliberately?

I'm going to quote this post after I post it so you can see what I mean.

Cheers.
This is what I mean.

Cheers.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:59 am
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
This has been reported and is being looked at.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBobi
This has been reported and is being looked at.
Thanks!
Old May 12, 2016, 3:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is what I mean.

Cheers.
It affects the full site as well. It definitely has been reported and is being examined.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
It affects the full site as well. It definitely has been reported and is being examined.
I only access the full site, whether on my Kindle Fire HD or my laptop, if that helps to serve as a data point.

I just thought it might have been something that was added when they were doing various updates re: mobile or whatever that May 4th update was & the change was made to try & accommodate tablets/phones (or was just an inadvertent change due to an update, similar to the thumbnail photos issue).

But it really is annoying, actually makes the quotes harder to read due to the eye having to shift back/forth more, & also increases the real estate on screen space (which presumably would actually be more of an issue for those on tablets/phones).

Glad it's being looked at & hope it gets sorted soon.

Cheers.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:31 pm

I only access the full site, whether on my Kindle Fire HD or my laptop, if that helps to serve as a data point.

I just thought it might have been something that was added when they were doing various updates re: mobile or whatever that May 4th update was & the change was made to try & accommodate tablets/phones (or was just an inadvertent change due to an update, similar to the thumbnail photos issue).

But it really is annoying, actually makes the quotes harder to read due to the eye having to shift back/forth more, & also increases the real estate on screen space (which presumably would actually be more of an issue for those on tablets/phones).

Glad it's being looked at & hope it gets sorted soon.

Cheers.
Ah.

I've used quite boxes as subtopic separators in Wikiposts, and this right margin truncating really "uglifies" the formatting and gobbles up space.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Any update on this? Still happening/still annoying.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i found the additional truncating odd as well. i also only use the full site, not mobile.

has the additional truncating gotten a little less now? IIRC at first the additional truncating was about the same (to about the same point) as when advertisements show up in posts, but when no advertisement was there.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Still showing the same as my examples above.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:52 pm

Yes, it's still occurring.

This new phenomenon is causing me lots of editing headaches in long Wikiposts where I've used quote boxes to separate topics.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:55 pm

Yes, it's still occurring.

This new phenomenon is causing me lots of editing headaches in long Wikiposts where I've used quote boxes to separate topics.
Jose this was listed as fixed as of yesterday by Mike -- so it is not fixed?

I think we may need a bit more information as to the previous length of the quote box. Mike may just have made his best guess...
Old May 25, 2016, 6:48 pm

I think we may need a bit more information as to the previous length of the quote box. Mike may just have made his best guess...
I'll check this as I merge and quote or reply.

In the meantime, the quote box was as wide as the page was wide, with a millimeter or two margin on each side.

The quote box today fails to extend to the right margin and is truncated to approximately 80% of the page width, as if justified [LEFT].
Old May 25, 2016, 7:22 pm

I'll check this as I merge and quote or reply.

In the meantime, the quote box was as wide as the page was wide, with a millimeter or two margin on each side.

The quote box today fails to extend to the right margin and is truncated to approximately 80% of the page width, as if justified [LEFT].
Well, we may be at Maximum Quote box right now.

Jose if you can post a screen shot of where this is causing trouble, I can try to get it wider, but no promises
Old May 25, 2016, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Paul, I don't know if this is totally corrected as in the way it was before but the quotes above in my example which yesterday showed truncated are now displaying more across the screen & not as annoying/hard to read as before. So Mike's best guess seems to work better. I have no idea how that impacts Jose's use though. Hmm, now that I look at it agree w/ Jose re: still truncating to the right a bit & his comment about the way it was before. We're getting close to getting it fixed!

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 25, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.