How to add or embed a file, image / photo or video in a post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
Posting a picture / image; how to add or embed an image or video in a post
HOW TO EMBED IMAGES: See tutorial information in posts 1 - 4.

Not every Forum accepts the embedding of images; for those that do, please follow the FlyerTalk Rules. From the FlyerTalk Rules:

8. Posting of Images link to this rule.
You may embed non-animated images in your posts. Your images must conform to all FlyerTalk content rules, must convey relevant, on-topic information and are not allowed in signature lines or user profiles other than in the space designated in your profile for your picture. (See also, Rule 2 — User Profiles.) Please size your images large enough to get your point across but not so that they distort FlyerTalk standard column widths.
To attach of a doc, docx, gif, jpe, jpeg, jpg, pdf, png, xls or xlsx file from your device, or to add a thumbnail (or up to six thumbnail photos to your post, see the first and second posts in this thread.

If your image fails to load, the first thing to try is clearing your browser’s cache.

NOTE: At this time, embedding animated images is not allowed (see this link to the FlyerTalk rule).

(Posts with embedded or attached videos, files or images made here as tests of how this works will routinely be deleted for systems efficiency.

/Moderators)

IGUANADON
Print Wikipost

How to add or embed a file, image / photo or video in a post

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:57 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
how do you select the photo to upload?
As normal.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:00 pm
Administrator

Programs: SPG
Tech Test
Attached Images  
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by IBxAnders
Tech Test
Is that supposed to be sideways? It's showing sideways for me.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by IBobi
The EXIF data comes from the device it was taken on. Sometimes that data is wrong.

Only way to resolve is to re-save in the correct orientation and then upload.
Per my post #84 (from which it appears IBxAnders borrowed an image to test in post #96 ) I am pretty sure it is not the EXIF rotation data that is wrong, but that FT's backend software does not correctly interpret it.

i.e. in plain terms I think the raw image is stored rotated, let's say 90 degrees clockwise, but also includes EXIF data saying "hello image display software, I am rotated 90 degrees clockwise so you should rotate 90 degrees CCW before displaying me." But FT's software ignores that and displays the image as-is.

The conversion tool I described in post #84 takes such an image, rotates it 90 degrees CCW and deletes the EXIF rotation flag. IMO this is NOT a "correction" to the image -- it is a workaround for systems that don't take the EXIF rotation data into account.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Zorak
Per my post #84 (from which it appears IBxAnders borrowed an image to test in post #96 ) I am pretty sure it is not the EXIF rotation data that is wrong, but that FT's backend software does not correctly interpret it.

i.e. in plain terms I think the raw image is stored rotated, let's say 90 degrees clockwise, but also includes EXIF data saying "hello image display software, I am rotated 90 degrees clockwise so you should rotate 90 degrees CCW before displaying me." But FT's software ignores that and displays the image as-is.

The conversion tool I described in post #84 takes such an image, rotates it 90 degrees CCW and deletes the EXIF rotation flag. IMO this is NOT a "correction" to the image -- it is a workaround for systems that don't take the EXIF rotation data into account.
I haven't done extensive A/B testing, but in my experience posting photos here, I think you may be right. Images that show properly rotated on my phone and on my laptop (Windows picture viewer) are sideways on FT, and I have to actually go in and edit the image and re-save/re-upload it--not just rotate it in Windows, which edits the EXIF data only--to get it to display properly.

Mike, you should be able to test and confirm, I think. I'd do some testing now, but the connection I'm on is pretty mediocre so uploading photos now would be an exercise in frustration...
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by jackal
I haven't done extensive A/B testing, but in my experience posting photos here, I think you may be right. Images that show properly rotated on my phone and on my laptop (Windows picture viewer) are sideways on FT, and I have to actually go in and edit the image and re-save/re-upload it--not just rotate it in Windows, which edits the EXIF data only--to get it to display properly.
... and I bet you could upload the same original (unedited) image to Facebook, and Facebook would post it in the correct orientation.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by jackal

Mike, you should be able to test and confirm, I think. I'd do some testing now, but the connection I'm on is pretty mediocre so uploading photos now would be an exercise in frustration...
A patch has been installed -- please purge cache and try again...
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts with embedded or attached videos, files or images made here purely as tests of how this works will routinely be deleted for systems efficiency.

/Moderators
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is not a way to see a certain poster's posts with attached photos is there?

i do like the feature of being able to click and see all attached photos in thread ^
Old Aug 5, 2017, 10:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there is not a way to see a certain poster's posts with attached photos is there?

i do like the feature of being able to click and see all attached photos in thread ^
Once you've selected the option to see a member's posts, there's no further way to refine or select for those posts with embedded or attached images. Sorry.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah i know someone posted something, cant remember where
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:18 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
I have been trying to upload pics into an Expert Hotel review. I uploaded 2 pics. Now I keep getting the message: "Error while moving uploaded file to destination folder, check folder permissions on server side". What does that mean. Does Flyertalk have some kind of thing turned off? After this aggravation, I will never do another hotel review for Flyertalk. Too much time and effort for aggravation and no thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by not2017
I have been trying to upload pics into an Expert Hotel review. I uploaded 2 pics. Now I keep getting the message: "Error while moving uploaded file to destination folder, check folder permissions on server side". What does that mean. Does Flyertalk have some kind of thing turned off? After this aggravation, I will never do another hotel review for Flyertalk. Too much time and effort for aggravation and no thanks.
Can you tell me how you uploaded the pictures? There are several methods to do this on FT and in order to figure out what happened I will need to know how you did it, thank you.

Also if you can tell us your device type and browser version, that would help.

I just published a hotel review with multiple pictures and no error messages.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:44 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
Originally Posted by IBobi
Can you tell me how you uploaded the pictures? There are several methods to do this on FT and in order to figure out what happened I will need to know how you did it, thank you.

Also if you can tell us your device type and browser version, that would help.

I just published a hotel review with multiple pictures and no error messages.
First, thanks for the fast reply. I initially tried Opera and could not upload any pics. In Chrome, I managed 2 pics. I'm using a Windows desktop, cable modem (so fast), now Chrome. Pics are coming right off the card, stuck in the computer. I have pics on the computer, but I find pics faster on the SD cards. I emptied the cache and that did not help.

Last edited by not2017; Mar 1, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Old Mar 2, 2018, 12:51 pm

OK I have reported this to my tech team.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.