"Original Poster" badge in white on blue under FT handle

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 3:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Original Poster references in threads sometimes appear mid-thread. Is that a function of threads having been merged after some particular date?
Old May 4, 2016, 3:37 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Original Poster references in threads sometimes appear mid-thread. Is that a function of threads having been merged after some particular date?
They will reference the original poster each time that person posts. That's what the tool is.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IBobi
They will reference the original poster each time that person posts. That's what the tool is.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is now , for some reason, appearing against the person who starts a thread a designation of "Original Poster". If this is needed to be there, can it at least be in a non intrusive normal black on white text rather than white on blue blackground
Old May 4, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is now , for some reason, appearing against the person who starts a thread a designation of "Original Poster". If this is needed to be there, can it at least be in a non intrusive normal black on white text rather than white on blue blackground
It's a new feature. It's either on or off, not otherwise modifiable.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What is the purpose of it? I am wondering whether I should care who the OP is because I never have.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
What is the purpose of it? I am wondering whether I should care who the OP is because I never have.
The idea is that in a long thread where the OP posts continually after receiving many responses from others, it provides context without having to find the first post and track that person's name. It has proven useful on other forums where it's been displayed.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Not sure the OP function adds much value the typeface and wording almost makes it seem like they are an original member as opposed to simply the OP of the thread - and it just doesn't flow well. But then again pretty much everything in the current round of updates hasn't added any value so YMMV
Old May 5, 2016, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Ah, so that's what it is! I thought it was something akin to "Original Member"
Old May 5, 2016, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Not sure the OP function adds much value the typeface and wording almost makes it seem like they are an original member as opposed to simply the OP of the thread
I feel more strongly that both of these are the case.
  • It typically doesn't matter to me who the OP is. And in the rare case that I need to know, there's a pretty easy method of determining it.
  • I've half-noticed a few of these tags recently and, indeed, assumed it was a marker for Original Member.
Obviously, updates to the UI are a different matter--and often simpler to implement--than functionality changes, but I do wonder who thought this was so useful & important as to merit effort. The thinking involved, as with the "improvement" of the multi-quote button, seems scattershot, to put it charitably.
Old May 5, 2016, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by T8191
Ah, so that's what it is! I thought it was something akin to "Original Member"
It's not just you! At first I thought the same thing and wondered why that badge was on a post by someone whose account was created last month. I figured there was some sort of technical problem. I figured it out when I saw it on the first post of a new thread with only a couple of posts.

As many threads are quite long and have people replying to each other throughout -- particularly after ... thread merges -- I think this of only marginal use.

Last edited by JDiver; May 5, 2016 at 8:41 am Reason: Removed comment on moderation
Old May 5, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Maybe I'm going against the grain, but I love this new feature! It's provided useful to me in other forums, so I'm glad to see it making its way to FT!

Cases where this can be helpful include long, multi-page threads replying to the OP. Instead of doing a manual search for the OP's name, I can just wade through the pages and be able to easily see the blue tag under the user's name.

Thanks for adding this!
Old May 5, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I think the the text "Thread starter" "Started thread" or "Started this thread" would be less cnfusing.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Off topic content and comments regarding moderator actions will be deleted or redacted.

Discussion Of Moderator Actions - Link to this FT Rule

Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.

Any concerns about the actions of a moderator should be directed exclusively and privately to the Community Director.
Thank you.

/Moderator
Old May 5, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by IBobi
It's a new feature. It's either on or off, not otherwise modifiable.
I looked in my Options settings & am not seeing how to turn this off.

One further thought: this feature is especially irritating when a long-running thread gets closed -- say, at the end of a calendar year -- and a successor is started. In such cases, the new OP is completely random.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.