"Original Poster" badge in white on blue under FT handle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Original Poster" badge in white on blue under FT handle

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by beltway
I looked in my Options settings & am not seeing how to turn this off.
I think what was meant is that this is on or off on a site-wide basis, not on a per user one. Thus, it is either on or off for all of FlyerTalk. As users, we have n control over it.
Old May 5, 2016, 2:06 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I think what was meant is that this is on or off on a site-wide basis, not on a per user one. Thus, it is either on or off for all of FlyerTalk.
Correct!
Old May 5, 2016, 2:07 pm

I think what was meant is that this is on or off on a site-wide basis, not on a per user one. Thus, it is either on or off for all of FlyerTalk. As users, we have n control over it.
Originally Posted by IBobi
Correct!
OK, then please turn it off. Problem solved! ^
Old May 5, 2016, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree - Please turn it off
Old May 5, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I agree - Please turn it off
^ Plus ne! ^
Old May 6, 2016, 12:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I think the the text "Thread starter" "Started thread" or "Started this thread" would be less cnfusing.
OTOH, we always refer to the thread starter as the 'OP'

Thread starter sounds more like Prodigys 'Fire Starter'
Old May 6, 2016, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
OTOH, we always refer to the thread starter as the 'OP'
Sme sure do -- but many people also have no idea what that means. It also fooled a few of us when it suddenly appeared where it did. In any event, with ... long threads that are merges of multiple semi-related topics that term becomes irrellivent.
Thread starter sounds more like Prodigys 'Fire Starter'

Last edited by JDiver; May 6, 2016 at 6:27 am Reason: Reason stated previously
Old May 6, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sme sure do -- but many people also have no idea what that means. It also fooled a few of us when it suddenly appeared where it did. In any event, with ... long threads that are merges of multiple semi-related topics that term becomes irrellivent.
Agreed. With the dozens and dozens of mega-threads (look at the front page of the United forum, for example, where it's dominated by the Stickies/Wikis/[consolidated]/"2016 Edition" type of content), the Original Poster tag makes little sense.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If this is needed to be there, can it at least be in a non intrusive normal black on white text rather than white on blue blackground
Agree.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I am wondering whether I should care who the OP is because I never have.
+1.

Originally Posted by IBobi
The idea is that in a long thread where the OP posts continually after receiving many responses from others, it provides context without having to find the first post and track that person's name. It has proven useful on other forums where it's been displayed.
It's not really that hard to click on post #1 to figure out the OP if one cares. That's preferable to having something intrusive that repeats multiple times if an OP posts more than once in a thread.

Originally Posted by Duke787
Not sure the OP function adds much value the typeface and wording almost makes it seem like they are an original member as opposed to simply the OP of the thread - and it just doesn't flow well. But then again pretty much everything in the current round of updates hasn't added any value so YMMV
Agree.

Originally Posted by T8191
Ah, so that's what it is! I thought it was something akin to "Original Member"
Agree.

Originally Posted by beltway
I feel more strongly that both of these are the case.
  • It typically doesn't matter to me who the OP is. And in the rare case that I need to know, there's a pretty easy method of determining it.
  • I've half-noticed a few of these tags recently and, indeed, assumed it was a marker for Original Member.
+1.
Thus, it is either on or off for all of FlyerTalk. As users, we have n control over it.
Well that sucks.

Agree.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Agree.

+1.

It's not really that hard to click on post #1 to figure out the OP if one cares. That's preferable to having something intrusive that repeats multiple times if an OP posts more than once in a thread.

Agree.

Agree.

Well that sucks.

Agree.
I agree too x7

This, along with the huge RBP button and endless adverts just make the site AWFUL when using iPad. Slow and stuttering when scrolling. It is, to me, just a mass of negatives that as a user add zero value.

Sorry to be so negative, but I can't see any constructive purpose (apart from the advertising crud for FT.com's benefit).
Old May 6, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Even though more people access websites (not just FT) via tablets & phones, it completely boggles my mind that IB continues to implement items that make FT less desirable/not as easy to use/are starting to drive FTers away. And yet something that would be helpful, such as a truly functional mobile app, seem to be on the forever plan for getting implemented.

Cheers.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Maybe I'm going against the grain, but I love this new feature! It's provided useful to me in other forums, so I'm glad to see it making its way to FT!

Cases where this can be helpful include long, multi-page threads replying to the OP. Instead of doing a manual search for the OP's name, I can just wade through the pages and be able to easily see the blue tag under the user's name.

Thanks for adding this!
If necessary to find the OP, looking at Post 1 ( which is always on 1st page of the thread ) seems a trivially easy way to find the OP's name if needed
Old May 9, 2016, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It only seems intrusive because it is new. After a while it will stop bothering you. Flyertalk looked a whole lot different umpteen years ago because we've had many updates to the look and feel over time. Each one takes a bit of getting used to, but we all eventually do get used to the change.
Old May 9, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
It only seems intrusive because it is new. After a while it will stop bothering you. Flyertalk looked a whole lot different umpteen years ago because we've had many updates to the look and feel over time. Each one takes a bit of getting used to, but we all eventually do get used to the change.
It is intrusive because it is intrusive

The whole point of highlighting is to be intrusive. If there is a highlighted piece of text on a page, it is always intrusive. Just get a yelllow highlighter pen and highlight some text in a book. It will always distract.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I'm still puzzled by the new "Report Bad Post" icon, which really says nothing to the initiated.

As to the dog's orphan of the site on iPad, I hate it more deeply every day. Adverts everywhere, just waiting for a slip of the finger to launch the link and rack up points for FT/IB whilst wasting my time.

Still, it's someone else's train set ... I just tend to ride the rails from force of habit, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.