Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Technical issues subsequent to the 28 Mar 2016 software update
Please use this thread to report bugs experienced with the new FT software

Please browse the FAQ below to see if there's already an answer to your concern. Thank you for your patience and feedback.

For some issues you may be experiencing, try the following (all "in quotes" originally posted by IBobi from Admin, below):

Q. What can I do to make it easier for Admin / Tech to help me resolve issues?

Post information about the operating system and browser, specific versions and plugins you are using, whether using full desktop or mobile site, and screen shots of appropriate size to illustrate what you are seeing.

If you're unsure how to add photos or thumbnails, please read "Posting a photo / picture / image; how to embed an image in a post".

Q. Why so many problems with Windows 10? What can I do to troubleshoot the issues I'm having?

"Windows 10 is very problematic. Only a few users, and if you combine it with IE rather than Edge (which it comes with), moreso. There will only be so much we can do for you.

First, again, I recommend just switching browsers to Chrome or Firefox.

From tech, here are some other steps you can take:

1. If a user has any 3rd party plugins installed in their browser, that can sometimes cause problems. To test this, turn off all the plugins and see if the problem still occurs. If yes, then the plugins are not the problem. If no, then one or more of the plugins is probably the problem (turn them back on one at a time to identify the culprit)

2. Please confirm what browser(s) is being used on Windows 10. When they say IE, do they really mean Edge? Or did they actually install an old version of IE?

3. Are there any other non-standard configuration changes that they made on their browser. If yes, try turning them off like #1 above.

4. Provide any specific page URLs that have the problem (if problem does not occur for all pages)"

Q. What can Windows 10 and Edge, Internet Explorer users do?

"Guys, this software combo seems to be a real Edge case, so there is just not much more we can do right now.

Using a configuration that's as close as we can get to yours, our techs have not been able to replicate your issues.

This is not to say that the issue doesn't exist -- if you google "internet explorer blank tabs issue" you will see that this is IE-related and has been happening to people for years (some suggestions that it is related to having used Norton AV as well...).

I doubt there is much more we can do at this time, other than to again recommend you change browsers to Chrome or Firefox".

Q. Why am I not seeing the thread start date?

"Because this is cookie based, it may help to clear your cookies and starts fresh. Or it may just take some time for the database to reset for all threads and users."

Q. Why can I occasionally and intermittently fail to jump to the first unread post in a thread, or fail to quote for a reply, or attempt to reply and have my post jump to another thread?

We don't know yet, but these seem to be unpredictable, intermittent and possibly contained to a handful of fora. Be assured Tech is aware of these and working to solve these issues. (It's generally more difficult to solve issues when they are intermittent and not readily replicable at will.)

Q. I can't read FT on my iPhone app any longer. Why not?

The app has been unsupported for some time now; it could only be downloaded by surreptitious ways to bypass the App Store. Since the upgrade, the app no longer works. Options include the mobile skin, or using the browser on your mobile with the full desktop version.

Q. I get "500" errors trying to use the mobile site on my Blackberry. What's wring?

"We are looking into the possibility of reviving the Blackberry version, but we are not hopeful given the age and the closed nature of the Blackberry code."

Q. I can't read Wikiposts or subscribe to threads on the mobile site. Why not?

A future version of the mobile site will support both.

Q. How can I switch to the mobile or full web site?

Scroll all the way down to select Mobile Site or Full web display. This will last until ockies are replaced (~24 hours).

Q. Is there any chance FlyerTalk can reverse the "upgrade"?

"There is zero chance we are rolling back. Sorry guys.

There have indeed been a number of issues, but that doesn't mean we just stop innovating. We fix the issues and move forward. This update was an absolute necessity due to some google requirements. Going back is not an option.

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused, and we spent a great deal of time QAing the software prior to going live. But we'll address the issues and move forward, onward."
Print Wikipost

FAQ & feedback: Technical issues following the March 28 2016 software upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:50 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Exclamation FAQ & feedback: Technical issues following the March 28 2016 software upgrade

Please use this thread to report bugs.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Is it me or is the thread start date missing when you are in a forum and are looking at the list of threads. Usually it appears right below or next to the OP's name. I found this to be a very useful tool as a moderator to see if a thread was say started today or it's a 3-5 year old thread (or longer) being posted to
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
Is it me or is the thread start date missing when you are in a forum and are looking at the list of threads. Usually it appears right below or next to the OP's name. I found this to be a very useful tool as a moderator to see if a thread was say started today or it's a 3-5 year old thread (or longer) being posted to
No, I am seeing - or not seeing - that too.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I agree, the thread start date is missing. I'd like to have it back.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by jbeckett
I agree, the thread start date is missing. I'd like to have it back.
+1 In fact, it means so much to me that I came searching for a specific thread to post this comment

Please bring it back.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by goalie
It's not just you.

I just noticed the same thing and decided to come over to this thread. That date was helpful for me to see if I was about to read an obsolete thread with a recent post or if the thread was recently started.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The "Your posts" and "Your threads" links are now missing from the "Quick links" drop down. How are we supposed to find our earlier posts and threads?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Quotes missing

Deleted.

UPDATE: Deleted original as they are now present.

Last edited by controller1; Mar 28, 2016 at 3:12 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:36 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by controller1
Quotes are now missing from replies. This is in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.
Testing...
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
It appears all the buttons got a makeover except for the "Reply with Review" button, which doesn't match the other buttons in format or color.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 2:52 pm

The frame containing the thread identity and login information is much wider than the postings frame. This is causing a reduction in the size of the postings frame to accommodate the 'heading' frame. Making postings more difficult to read.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In the Quick Links submenu, "My Threads" is missing? I'm getting messages about this.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:05 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by remdk
The frame containing the thread identity and login information is much wider than the postings frame. This is causing a reduction in the size of the postings frame to accommodate the 'heading' frame. Making postings more difficult to read.
Could you post a screenshot of what you mean? I just want to be clear on my understanding of the issue.

Please also list you browser type and device type if you're on mobile.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
In the Quick Links submenu, "My Threads" is missing? I'm getting messages about this.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The "Your posts" and "Your threads" links are now missing from the "Quick links" drop down. How are we supposed to find our earlier posts and threads?
Working on this guys, thank you.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smaug
It appears all the buttons got a makeover except for the "Reply with Review" button, which doesn't match the other buttons in format or color.
We'll work on that, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.