Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Lately I've been sent to a new page (usually for the product being advertised between posts) while browsing from my android. It feels much more automatic and jumpy, rather than me accidentally clicking on the ad. This only happens on FT, not other sites I frequent. It is usually fixed by just pressing the "previous" button on my browser.

Also, I find FT mobile occasionally also slows down while scrolling, and jumping back
up a few posts.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBobi
This is correct. You have malware. It's not FlyerTalk. Run your A/V program and clear cookies.

To remind everyone, using or recommending ad block on this site is a violation of the TOS and can get your account banned. FlyerTalk is a *free* site. The ads are what keep it going.

Paul
This is new.

Where is it covered in the TOS? Reading through it just now, I see nothing in there about ad-blockers:

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

Have the rules not yet been updated?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:21 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Those experiencing the issue, please report:

1. What is occurring (be as specific as possible -- it looks like there's more than one thing happening here and being conflated)
2. Your device and browser type
3. ***SCREEN SHOTS*** of any ads or pages you are sent to

Thank you!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 'andad
No sir, on my ipad.
Same ads coming up on my Mac. Can it be malware(as suggested above) if it's on two devices? And why only on FT?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:13 pm

Same ads coming up on my Mac. Can it be malware(as suggested above) if it's on two devices? And why only on FT?

1. What is occurring (be as specific as possible -- it looks like there's more than one thing happening here and being conflated)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:43 am

Will do Ibobi, when it happens again. It's not happening today on my Mac which i know how to screensave on. Too old to know how to do it on an iPad too !
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:44 pm

Will do Ibobi, when it happens again. It's not happening today on my Mac which i know how to screensave on. Too old to know how to do it on an iPad too !
To screen shot on an iPad, press the power button in (do not release it) and quickly press the HOME button, and release them both. The photo will appear in your camera roll.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:45 am

To screen shot on an iPad, press the power button in (do not release it) and quickly press the HOME button, and release them both. The photo will appear in your camera roll.
Thanks IBobi.
No problem at the moment so nothing to screen shot, but I expect to to come back.
However I had one ad on FT only that would not go away until I cleared history etc etc. "Congratulation from http. My mobile.net. "
The tab would not close although I had not selected "continue", and I couldn't close any tabs at all. Re-booting made no difference this time, whenever I opened Safari ( on this iPad) there was the ad. Scary.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:28 pm

Thanks IBobi.
No problem at the moment so nothing to screen shot, but I expect to to come back.
However I had one ad on FT only that would not go away until I cleared history etc etc. "Congratulation from http. My mobile.net. "
The tab would not close although I had not selected "continue", and I couldn't close any tabs at all. Re-booting made no difference this time, whenever I opened Safari ( on this iPad) there was the ad. Scary.
I'm sorry about that. Sometimes ad networks sneak bad ads in there on us (we don't see them beforehand) and it can be really hard to find and block them. That kind of thing is obviously not what we want on FT. Screen shots are often the only way we have to recognize them.

Thank you for your help!
Old May 1, 2015, 12:16 pm

Wanted to mention this only happens to me on the mobile site using an android device. When I'm using the full site on a desktop, I've never had the issue.

I just had my forum tab close and a new one open (can't use back to go to previous page) and the URL displayed was ody://neverblue_android_t1

Yes, ody, looks like a typo as no actual page was loaded. Hope that helps.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by hi-guy
Wanted to mention this only happens to me on the mobile site using an android device. When I'm using the full site on a desktop, I've never had the issue.

I just had my forum tab close and a new one open (can't use back to go to previous page) and the URL displayed was ody://neverblue_android_t1

Yes, ody, looks like a typo as no actual page was loaded. Hope that helps.
Thank you for the info -- if you catch it with a screen shot next time, please post it!
Old May 1, 2015, 11:55 pm

I know FT aren't permitting this but it's happening a lot to me, and driving me up the wall. Whilst on FT, which I am quite a lot!, ads keep popping up telling me I am the 100,000 th visitor, won a Mac, Tesco voucher, mobile net winner. Worse is that they won't close even if I go to say BBC site, the only thing that works is to re-boot. (I don't mean those small harmless static ads down the right hand side, I guess they help fund FT ).
Anybody else a victim, know a solution?
Of course they are permitting them, FlyerTalk uses the most spammy, infected (frequently there are malware sites), disruptive adverts ever. Presumably, the agency pays more than those that display non-malicious advertising.
Old May 2, 2015, 3:58 am

Thanks IBobi.
The ads that shake about, and won't close, seem to have stopped (I blocked, then un-blocked, cookies, and changed my privacy settings for 12 hours, seems to have worked) . I have a screen shot has two "legal" FT ads I think, but they are a nuisance as they block out thread text.
Thanks for teaching me how to do a screen shot on my iPad, now how do I attach it to send to you, on an iPad?
Old May 2, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Here's one I have had in the last couple of days (Windows Phone, Mobile website)
I'm not sure how much information you get from the screenshot
Old May 2, 2015, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Flyertalk Ads

Is it just me, or are the Flyertalk ads becoming extremely annoying lately? I know ads are personalized, but this is the only place I go where the ads are the flashy kind that I detest with a passion. I'm wondering if others see the same infuriatingly annoying ads, or if it is just me?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.