Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatically detect time zone?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Automatically detect time zone?

It'd be nice if there were an option for FT to automatically detect/use your time zone. Note, I know about "Automatically detect DST Settings" and that's not what I mean, I mean if I move from US/Pacific to US/Eastern to have it figure that out (using JavaScript getTimezoneOffset() or something) vs. me having to go into my options and set it manually.

Last edited by Zorak; Mar 30, 2017 at 5:21 pm Reason: minor clarification
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I just noticed I hadn't changed my time zone back after being back in PDT. Seemed like a good time to bump this feature request
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:08 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
That'd represent a significant change to FT, for people who fly a lot. Please post in Suggestion Box and see if you can get community buy-in.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBobi
That'd represent a significant change to FT, for people who fly a lot. Please post in Suggestion Box and see if you can get community buy-in.
I somehow missed that there was a Suggestion Box when I first posted this Have submitted a mod request to move it over Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thinking of this again as I've just changed time zones twice in relatively quick succession. Maybe other people pay less attention to the post times in the headers than I do But if no one else finds this compelling, so be it.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I like the idea, although with an opt-out, in case it thinks you're in one zone when really you're in another…

It would be useful when travelling, which apparently we all do a lot of…
Old May 17, 2017, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by JAXBA

It would be useful when travelling, which apparently we all do a lot of…
Agree, this sounds like an interesting suggestion.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I like having it set to my home time zone always. It's also convenient when traveling to have an easy way to check the time at home.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I like having it set to my home time zone always. It's also convenient when traveling to have an easy way to check the time at home.
Firing up a web browser to go to FT to hunt for the tiny "The time is now x:xx" footer at the bottom of the page counts as "easy"?

My smartphone's clock app has a tab that shows the current time in a (configurable) list of cities, which is what I use to keep track of time in different time zones when the need arises.

The reason I initially posted this suggestion way back when is that when reading a thread it is sometimes useful to know when messages were posted (if someone was having issues, are they in the air already; or is the information I'm about to post otherwise stale/unneeded, etc.). If the message timestamps are in my home time zone then I have do to a mental conversion.

Also since the message timestamps show when the message was posted, they are obv not useful for showing the current time in my home time zone.

However I recognize that everyone has a preference, so if the feature gets implemented it absolutely should be an opt-in checkbox.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At times on FT, I've been careful to specify time as X hours ago in referring to another post, rather than stating the time stamp that I see (in my home time zone) for when it was pasted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.