Search

Mobile Search Broken?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
search doesn't' work properly on mobile

This has cropped up before and I keep meaning to report it but forget.

There have been numerous times when I'm accessing FT in the evenings via my Kindle Fire HD vs. my laptop. I'll be in a forum and want to do a search within a forum. Example: I'm in the Marriott forum & want to search for properties in Amsterdam. I click on search this forum, and before I can even type Amsterdam (or anything) it suddenly reverts back to the forum and knocks me out of the search box. Rinse & repeat, regardless of forum. I access FT full site vs. mobile when I access it on the Kindle.

Anyone else experiencing this search problem on other devices?

Cheers

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jul 14, 2015 at 10:56 am Reason: clarified/gave more details...
Old May 5, 2017, 4:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Mobile Search Broken?

Whenever I search on mobile, selecting subfora to be searched only doesn't work. I get results from all fora, regardless of my filter.

iOS, Safari

image hosting 10mb limit
Old May 5, 2017, 3:47 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
What were the two forums you have selected in the first image? We couldn't get this to happen on our end, but may be forum-specific.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IBJoel
What were the two forums you have selected in the first image? We couldn't get this to happen on our end, but may be forum-specific.
BA!
Old May 8, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Have you made sure to uncheck the search all forums box? I use the Mobile version and recently realized this was why it wasn't searching just what I clicked.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Have you made sure to uncheck the search all forums box? I use the Mobile version and recently realized this was why it wasn't searching just what I clicked.
I understand 'Child forum' as a subforum of a given forum and BA doesn't have one. When I uncheck, I get the same results. It is impossible for me only to search the BA forum.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:25 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by florens
I understand 'Child forum' as a subforum of a given forum and BA doesn't have one. When I uncheck, I get the same results. It is impossible for me only to search the BA forum.
You are certain you unchecked "Search all forums" in the drop down menu? Because it says you still have 2 forums selected. If you're only searching BA, you should only have one forum selected.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

You are certain you unchecked "Search all forums" in the drop down menu? Because it says you still have 2 forums selected. If you're only searching BA, you should only have one forum selected.
Ok, it was this. I have been using mobile search for a while and never encountered this. In fact, it has been working fine until now. Has this been changed? There should be an automated uncheck of 'search all forums' once a subforum is selected. This way I need to click twice.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:28 am
Administrator

I'm not sure. It does seem somewhat unintuitive that "Search All" is not deselected when selecting something else. I'll see if tech can fix/improve that.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'm not sure. It does seem somewhat unintuitive that "Search All" is not deselected when selecting something else. I'll see if tech can fix/improve that.
Thanks, IBJoel, much appreciated.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
As an added data point, the same exact thing just confused me on mobile.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:34 pm

mobile cannot search thread

On a desktop you can search through a thread on flyertalk when you are in the thread. On mobile you cannot (running chrome). If you use mobile mode there is no option. If you switch to desktop view you see the same thing but when you click on the search it just disappears, as in the box you are trying to type into.

Of course you can use a workaround, using the general search function and selecting the particular thread.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:36 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by s0ssos
On a desktop you can search through a thread on flyertalk when you are in the thread. On mobile you cannot (running chrome). If you use mobile mode there is no option. If you switch to desktop view you see the same thing but when you click on the search it just disappears, as in the box you are trying to type into.

Of course you can use a workaround, using the general search function and selecting the particular thread.
Hi there,

While the mobile version does not have every function that the desktop version does, we're always taking feedback as to how to improve it. The Desktop View is not built to be compatible with mobile devices, so while it works, you get glitches like the one you described.

If the thread is not particularly long, another workaround is to use Chrome's "Find in Page..." function.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:26 am

Hi there,

While the mobile version does not have every function that the desktop version does, we're always taking feedback as to how to improve it. The Desktop View is not built to be compatible with mobile devices, so while it works, you get glitches like the one you described.

If the thread is not particularly long, another workaround is to use Chrome's "Find in Page..." function.
Oh, ok.
Yea, it is a really long thread (and I turned off infinite scroll)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.