Timing suggestion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:45 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci
Timing suggestion

Greetings, just a quick suggestion...

At present (08JUL, 16:34 UTC) the following notice is appearing at the top of each FT page:

OUTAGE ALERT: FlyerTalk will be down for maintenance for up to 15 minutes beginning at 9am PT on Thursday July 9. Please plan your site use accordingly, and thank you for your understanding.
Whilst advice like this is pretty helpful, and always gratefully received, the timing (or more precisely, the way it is presented) is the issue I have.

Would it not be better to use GMT/UTC/Zulu time, which is the widely accepted way of communicating a time to a world wide audience?

No matter where I am in the world, I keep myself aware of the time differential between where I am and UTC, as it makes it quick and easy to work out, in my head, without having to look things up, precisely when the event is going to occur, and I suspect most frequent travellers would be in the same boat.

As someone who rarely travels to the US, I have no idea of the time difference between the US West Coast and the Australian East Coast, but I know that where I am is UTC+10.

If notices like the one posted showed the time in UTC (or even both times) it would be much easier to be aware of when these things were going to happen and to plan around them.

This is, after all, a worldwide forum, not an American forum.

HTH.

Dave
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by thadocta
As someone who rarely travels to the US, I have no idea of the time difference between the US West Coast and the Australian East Coast, but I know that where I am is UTC+10.
Pacific Daylight Savings Time is UTC−07:00.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:37 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by TWA884
Pacific Daylight Savings Time is UTC−07:00.
I know that by looking it up. As would a lot of members of this boatd.

If the time was stated as UTC, I would not have needed to look it up, along with, I would posit, the overwhelming majority of this boatd.

Dave
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by thadocta

Would it not be better to use GMT/UTC/Zulu time, which is the widely accepted way of communicating a time to a world wide audience?
Dave
What, and confuse us Yanks?

I think the CommunityDirector once said FTers are split 60% USA/40% rest of world.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.