Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Had to disable flash to use Flyertalk Today

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Had to disable flash to use Flyertalk Today

The flash ads locked up Firefox this morning. It doesnt completely crash, but firefox becomes unusable due to the flash ads. Obviously something is wrong with them. It was displaying all Citi Advantage "The New American Passport" ads everywhere but I am unsure if those were the culprit. I simply disabled flash and magically I can browse the site again. Not a good solution really.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:09 am

Hallelujah!

Thank you SO much for that snippet of info. The AA forums have been unusable for me for the past week, but following your suggestion I turned off Flash, and, like magic, I can now surf AA forums again.

THANK YOU!
Old May 28, 2015, 8:36 am
Original Poster

No worries! Glad it helped.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
Yes, please police your ads on here better. I visit other sites and don't have to disable Flash, but after a couple of minutes of FT, my browser becomes unusable because of your flash ads. I have to go in and disable Flash to have a close to workable browser session. I know FT makes its money by pushing credit cards sign ups, so I don't mind the ads. But I do mind them when they slow my browser to a crawl.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:13 pm

Please stop the flash ads

The past few weeks I've noticed that my browser is often slowing to a crawl (and doesn't matter what browser I use, IE, Chrome or Firefox). Jerky scrolling, slow page loads, and on and on. I was able to narrow it down to only happening when I've visited FT or have an FT tab open. The slowdown is totally related to Adobe Flash. If I kill flash in task manager (which causes the plugin to crash, so no Flash ads for the time being), everything's back to normal. But if I don't deactivate the Flash plugin, the next page I visit on FT with a FLash ad (and those omnipresent Citi AA ads seem to be the main culprit), the ads appear again, and the browser slows to a crawl.
I use Flash all the time on other sites with no problem. So there's some problem with how Flash ads are being delivered on FT. It's not a user problem. Don't keep asking users to post screen shots. There are enough posts on here saying pointing the finger at your Flash ads.
Please fix this, or move to an ad system that doesn't use flash.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:09 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Merging with existing thread on the subject.

Please search for existing tech support threads prior to beginning a new one.

Paul
Old May 28, 2015, 6:16 pm

We are working with our advertising partner to make the offending ad less resource-intensive. Thank you for your patience!

Paul
Old May 28, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
Merging with existing thread on the subject.

Please search for existing tech support threads prior to beginning a new one.

Paul
I did see the other thread, but thought mine was a different thread topic. The other topics were about disabling flash entirely to access the site. I can access the site, but your flash ads (which seemed to be first reported as problematic on 22 May) were bringing my browser to a crawl. I understand you merging the threads, but I think a thread requesting that flash ads be discontinued because of their browser impact is an appropriate one, so other can chime in on this. Not being able to access a forum is a somewhat different, although seems to related, issue to having the ads bring a browser to a crawl.

Just an FYI, when I have flash enabled on FT, the Adobe Flash plugin goes to about 25% of CPU usage, and occasionally as high as 40%.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by rgdave
I did see the other thread, but thought mine was a different thread topic. The other topics were about disabling flash entirely to access the site. I can access the site, but your flash ads (which seemed to be first reported as problematic on 22 May) were bringing my browser to a crawl. I understand you merging the threads, but I think a thread requesting that flash ads be discontinued because of their browser impact is an appropriate one, so other can chime in on this. Not being able to access a forum is a somewhat different, although seems to related, issue to having the ads bring a browser to a crawl.
OK. Well, flash ads will not be discontinued any time soon. But we will do our best to do a better job vetting them so they don't take up so many resources. Fair enough?
Old May 28, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
OK. Well, flash ads will not be discontinued any time soon. But we will do our best to do a better job vetting them so they don't take up so many resources. Fair enough?
Maybe its not the ads themselves, but the number you're serving on a page. Because I now have Flash disabled, I see the "activate plug in" block on the ad sections that have flash versus standard HTML ads. On this FT page I just visited: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...ability-2.html there are 4 flash ads. Do you really need four ads on the same page for the Citi AAdvantage card? Hey, it's your business, but if the Flash ads are so resource intensive that users turn off flash completely when visiting FT, they're not seen at all.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think its usually the individual ad, whether flash or not
Old Jun 8, 2015, 9:15 am

I just had to disable flash for this site also. It's an absolute dog now on these forums with it on and unusable. Why don't you plan on switching to HTML 5? Flash is incredibly badly written and completely screws with people's resources. I had 8 gig taken up by 3 pages that flash just ran away with!!! Yes the developers of the flash also write leaky code but if more and more people start switching flash off on flyertalk or even worse,start avoiding your site, then it makes no sense to keep using it.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:46 am
No longer at FT -- contact IBJoel please

Alerted tech about this. Thank you for your patience!

Originally Posted by MIAman3
I just had to disable flash for this site also. It's an absolute dog now on these forums with it on and unusable. Why don't you plan on switching to HTML 5? Flash is incredibly badly written and completely screws with people's resources. I had 8 gig taken up by 3 pages that flash just ran away with!!! Yes the developers of the flash also write leaky code but if more and more people start switching flash off on flyertalk or even worse,start avoiding your site, then it makes no sense to keep using it.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:27 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Me also, has been happening for the past few days and today the site is almost unusable with flash enabled running Chrome.

With 3 tabs open uses almost 1gig memory and 40% CPU, and some video ads seems to keep forcing the page to scroll to their location making it impossible to use the site normally.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:48 pm
No longer at FT -- contact IBJoel please

Our ad units are flash-based, and we will not be discontinuing the flash ads in the meantime. You are more than welcome to report specific ads, along with screenshots, so we can do our best to track these issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.