Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delete Account

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Delete Account

I am looking to completely delete my account and all messages.

How do I go about doing this?
Old May 6, 2015, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
FT doesn't delete accounts per se.
Old May 6, 2015, 7:38 pm

Getting in touch via PM with the Community Director, SanDiego1K, may help.

FT generally does not delete accounts. Here is an explanation from 2007, How does one cancel or delete their account?
Originally Posted by FlyerTalk
Actually you don't cancel or delete an account, you simply quit posting. For instance, you started a thread asking for advice on creating the ultimate Web site for an airline. Many members contributed a great deal of really good advice for you. By being able to delete an account, all the other members contributions would disappear since it was all tagged on to your originating post. I think you might understand that hardly seems fair. Since behind the user name we never ask for anything more than an email address, there really is nothing to delete as that is not even in the public domain. The value of FlyerTalk comes from contributions - thanks for yours and we all hope the most valuable information you were given by the members of FlyerTalk has enhanced your career.

Hope his simple explanation helps.
Also, see delete my account please for more info.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
All you need do is simply abandon your account. We do not unregister people. Sometimes, folks find that they want to return to posting. Sometimes, folks have posted something of value and we want it left for others. An "unregister" note could leave the impression that you have done something wrong in your time on FlyerTalk. Nothing is further from the truth. Thus, we leave it all in your hands to participate or not, as you like.

Carol
Community Director
Old May 6, 2015, 9:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As to deleting your posts, FT won't likely do that either unless you can bring up a truly pressing reason to Admin or the Community Director - but it doesn't genuinely make much of a difference, as there are archiving systems like wayback machine (archive.org) that already have your posts here and on other boards you used your current handle (cpanel, boards, etc.) for anyone to see. As well, if any of your posts were quoted by replying members, your original post is still there as well. Your post above has already been registered by spiders and can be found by Google, and may already be cached and archived as well.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one can edit out all of their posts, but >

Originally Posted by JDiver
archiving systems like wayback machine (archive.org) that already have your posts here and on other boards you used your current handle (cpanel, boards, etc.) for anyone to see. As well, if any of your posts were quoted by replying members, your original post is still there as well. Your post above has already been registered by spiders and can be found by Google, and may already be cached and archived as well.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:23 pm

The T&Cs don't have anything whatsoever about deleting an account. Aside from getting permanently banned, how does one go about closing their account?

I have never used any other site that did not allow one to delete their account and all of their posts.

Contacting IB seems to be absolutely nothing.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by brendog
The T&Cs don't have anything whatsoever about deleting an account. Aside from getting permanently banned, how does one go about closing their account?

I have never used any other site that did not allow one to delete their account and all of their posts.

Even being permanently banned doesn't seem to delete the account. Posts are still there, with the word "Suspended" under the username. AFAIK this would prevent the person from ever editing or deleting any posts, so the account becomes permanent at the time of the lifetime ban.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
From the last I heard, even the spammer IDs are not deleted. That's why there are so many registered users.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its a lot of work to manually remove thousands of posts. posters can edit out themselves if they want.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
From the last I heard, even the spammer IDs are not deleted. That's why there are so many registered users.
This is the only site of which I have ever been a member that does not allow a member to cancel their account and to delete their content. Of course, IB has been so amazingly responsive when queried as to a reason they will not delete an account.

I suppose I can continually pester them until they either give in or kill my account, but that seems to be a lot of work just to cancel my final online BB membership.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:34 pm

Sorry to hear that you're wanting to leave. I didn't realize that when you posted.

You could just delete your own content, and I did so myself when Omni was opened up and indexed, but it is very time consuming. At least all I had to do was delete my Omni posts that I preferred not be out there.

Lacking a response, that may be your only option.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

What happened?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is the only site of which I have ever been a member that does not allow a member to cancel their account and to delete their content. Of course, IB has been so amazingly responsive when queried as to a reason they will not delete an account.

I suppose I can continually pester them until they either give in or kill my account, but that seems to be a lot of work just to cancel my final online BB membership.
I'm sorry to hear that you want to leave FT, but may I ask why?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
What happened?
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm sorry to hear that you want to leave FT, but may I ask why?
I'm not traveling much for work these days, thus very little use for FT at this point, and I'm trying to minimize my online presence as much as possible (i.e., No message boards, no social media, etc...).
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:01 am

Except your online presence has already been indexed by google and is out there anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.