Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:04 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by painintheuk
"This is Robert..." Ford ad.

I thought that I had shut Flash down, but it's still killing me on FT only!

Dr. PITUK
Is it playing as soon as the ad loads, with audio? Or do you have to click on or *mouse over* the ad to get the audio to play?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:29 pm

Game of War pop up on iOS

Hi all

Slightly off topic maybe, but I'm about to stop visiting the BA forum on FT due to the incredibly annoying 'Game of War' pop up that has been driving me insane when I view on iOS devices.

It is making the forum unusable for me. Is anyone else having this problem? If I get sent to the App Store one more time I swear this phone is going out of the window!!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Thanks for reporting this issue - i have moved this thread to the Technical Support and Feedback forum where it will be picked up by Internet Brand’s tech team. Please bear in mind most of the US will be celebrating Thanksgiving for the remainder of this week.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaventure

This is getting very annoying, can't even close it.

iPhone 6
Latest Chrome build
USA
That was due to the very wide photo screen shot that was posted in that thread.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by simonspear
Hi all

Slightly off topic maybe, but I'm about to stop visiting the BA forum on FT due to the incredibly annoying 'Game of War' pop up that has been driving me insane when I view on iOS devices.

It is making the forum unusable for me. Is anyone else having this problem? If I get sent to the App Store one more time I swear this phone is going out of the window!!
There's not been much we can do about the ios hijacks to the app store, unfortunately. Apple and Google both allow ads to auto-redirect to their stores. When they stop allowing that, it will stop happening, but probably not before.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by IBobi
I am having no such issues on my ipad today.
Still crashing and burning today. Unusable. Not happening on any other web site.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
cannot close advert

Originally Posted by simonspear
Hi all

Agreed - the mobile site is currently unusable - I can't click to close the advert.

Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
There's not been much we can do about the ios hijacks to the app store, unfortunately. Apple and Google both allow ads to auto-redirect to their stores. When they stop allowing that, it will stop happening, but probably not before.
Sorry to hear that ibobi (and if anyone is wondering the admins do a great job at removing rouge ads where they can). The game of war ad does not redirect to the store unless you click on it unlike other ads i have seen; i assume that makes no difference? It is becoming the case that safari is unusable as it is back again this morning. I know we arent supposed to use certain other browsers, but i have no choice because of this ad. Any where at apple we can all complain to or is that like talking to a brick wall?

For the post above re a trojan, im not so sure, i tried a clean install and did nowt, still came back.

Last edited by jcm9000; Nov 26, 2015 at 4:43 am
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
As I mentioned above, you can block the Game Of War ad by turning off JavaScript in iOS Safari. (Settings/Safari/Advanced/JavaScript) The forum will be less pretty, but it's usable.

This suggests to me that it's not a Trojan, as does its periodic disappearance and reappearance.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by boutela
As I mentioned above, you can block the Game Of War ad by turning off JavaScript in iOS Safari. (Settings/Safari/Advanced/JavaScript) The forum will be less pretty, but it's usable.

This suggests to me that it's not a Trojan, as does its periodic disappearance and reappearance.
thanks will give that a try. Just wondering what features I may lose by turning java script off?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
thanks will give that a try. Just wondering what features I may lose by turning java script off?
Nothing important for a forum, I wouldn't think. Mostly what I've noticed, besides some ugly formatting, is that the collapsible menus don't collapse, so there's a bit more scrolling involved. You can toggle it on and off if you use other sites that are more javascript-intensive.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Can't be bothered doing that everytime i pull up ft, spend half my time in settings! Thanks though, i'll keep it in mind.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:26 pm

Is it playing as soon as the ad loads, with audio? Or do you have to click on or *mouse over* the ad to get the audio to play?
Hi,

It plays as soon as the page loads - I don't need to roll over it. It also shows up slightly off the right of the screen many times - no matter how wide I make the screen. It some times shows up many times on the same page, so as soon as I load a page I have to hunt them all down and pause them! Flash was still turned off since other ads were asking if I wanted to enable Flash.

Dr. PITUK
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I tried to open a thread and got redirected to an ad for Smoky Bear

https://flic.kr/p/Bs8mNL

After that I couldn't get to anything on FT

And yet another one

https://flic.kr/p/Bs9Ty1

Both times I was trying to open a thread in Omni. The 2015 College Football thread

Last edited by wrp96; Nov 28, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Disruptive ads on FT - PLEASE POST SCREEN SHOTS

And just happened again in another thread with the Smoky Bear ad. Giving up on FT for the day

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.