Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: All Disruptive Ads /Advertisement on FT (older posts)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by IBobi
Be sure you are logged in. Be sure your browser is not set to clear cookies when you leave a page.
Safari setting: Cookies are allowed from websites I visit.

I do notice that FT recently has stopped remembering me (I.e., I see the login screen regularly even if I checked the "remember me" checkbox)

That said... even if I wasn't a member yet, I would find those constant popups annoying, and it wouldn't exactly motivate me to come back or sign up.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:11 pm

SLOW video ads - on the ad reporting page!

Hi

These video ads are back. I had a screenshot, but figured that this would be more relevant. I'm still not always sure what they are even trying to sell me!

Dr. PITUK
Attached Images  
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:08 am

I'm logged in from the US and while in the SPG forum have been subjected to a series of ads asking if I'm interested in dating Russian or Chinese women. Perhaps Malaysian, too - I can't remember what the third nationality was. I came to this thread to see if anyone else had reported these and see I'm not the first -- in fact, people have been complaining for weeks. I've been a member of this site for more than 15 years and don't ever recall seeing ads of this sort before. I find them extremely offensive and I imagine other female members of FT who see these ads would as well. Please get rid of them.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:46 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by joanek
I'm logged in from the US and while in the SPG forum have been subjected to a series of ads asking if I'm interested in dating Russian or Chinese women. Perhaps Malaysian, too - I can't remember what the third nationality was. I came to this thread to see if anyone else had reported these and see I'm not the first -- in fact, people have been complaining for weeks. I've been a member of this site for more than 15 years and don't ever recall seeing ads of this sort before. I find them extremely offensive and I imagine other female members of FT who see these ads would as well. Please get rid of them.
Sorry about that.

We tell all the ad networks to block this stuff and most of them do, but some slip through the cracks, likely because the ads themselves are intentionally mis-categorized at some point to slip through exactly the kinds of blocks we have in place.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:47 pm

Sorry about that.

We tell all the ad networks to block this stuff and most of them do, but some slip through the cracks, likely because the ads themselves are intentionally mis-categorized at some point to slip through exactly the kinds of blocks we have in place.
Thank you for responding. I realize that it's practically impossible to police ads and scammers are very good at getting things through in any case. I am, however, surprised to not see more complaints about those ads --at least from women. Even if they won't do any good.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:50 pm

Thank you for responding. I realize that it's practically impossible to police ads and scammers are very good at getting things through in any case. I am, however, surprised to not see more complaints about those ads --at least from women. Even if they won't do any good.
They don't actually break any forum rules, is probably why. They're dating ads.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 3:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I saw some of those in my gmail account yesterday, presented by google in the top two lines of the gmail interface itself under 'social' & 'promotions'. Today they were gone. As far as gender goes, the adsense ad server knows (or thinks it knows) your gender and various other details and serves you ads the algorithm thinks might suit you. One would assume that the people sending you those ads requested they be shown to a certain demographic which certainly doesn't include women.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:11 pm

Is there any chance we could suppress the popover ads on the "You have entered an invalid username or password" page? Per IBobi's instructions I've been trying more lately to read while logged in, but it's really annoying when I mistype my password and then get a popover ad on the error page.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by _kurt
Is there any chance we could suppress the popover ads on the "You have entered an invalid username or password" page? Per IBobi's instructions I've been trying more lately to read while logged in, but it's really annoying when I mistype my password and then get a popover ad on the error page.
Can you post a screen shot of the ad?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:34 pm

Can you post a screen shot of the ad?
Sointantly! This is from Safari on an iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5, United States IP address.

Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by _kurt
Sointantly! This is from Safari on an iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5, United States IP address.

Unfortunately, we can't help with this one.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:40 pm

Ă

Unfortunately, we can't help with this one.
I'm not sure I understand your response (it's an industry best practice to suppress ads on error pages), but thank you for taking the time to investigate.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:22 pm
inY

Add this to your Ad Block rules:

www.flyertalk.com###adBlockerModal
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Since recently, I get fullscreen ads on my iPhone (safari) popping up very frequently (at least once a minute).

This is very annoying. Is this a known thing? Because up to now this didn't happen and I didn't change any settings or so.

I have a screenshot here. One can actually not see that I'm on FT, but it is the case!

Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by florens
Since recently, I get fullscreen ads on my iPhone (safari) popping up very frequently (at least once a minute).

This is very annoying. Is this a known thing? Because up to now this didn't happen and I didn't change any settings or so.

I have a screenshot here. One can actually not see that I'm on FT, but it is the case!

It is known, and we are trying to address...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.