Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Why are the car rental boards closed?

Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent

Why are all the non-big three car rental boards closed for posting?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:10 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Due to a decision by the Talkboard.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...al-forums.html
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/car-r...-partners-392/ for the existing (and closed) car rental fora.

Rental Car Discussion now includes: General Topics, plus Alamo, Budget, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thrifty

Avis, Hertz, National and Sixt still have their own fora.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Can I respectfully suggest that it get renamed all other car rental agencies?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:04 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
You would need to make that request of the Talkboard in the Talkboard Topics forum.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Can I respectfully suggest that it get renamed all other car rental agencies?
I think part of the point of the name for the "new" sub forum is that it includes general rental car discussions that aren't about any particular company or that potentially compare two or more companies.

Are there any additional car rental companies that you think should be included in "other"?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think part of the point of the name for the "new" sub forum is that it includes general rental car discussions that aren't about any particular company or that potentially compare two or more companies.

Are there any additional car rental companies that you think should be included in "other"?
Off the top of my head, Payless, Fox, Silvercar, Advantage, Ace, Zipcar, Firefly

The problem that I have found is that the focus becomes so much on the big three groups that those who look for alternatives have no resources to turn to.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Off the top of my head, Payless, Fox, Silvercar, Advantage, Ace, Zipcar, Firefly

The problem that I have found is that the focus becomes so much on the big three groups that those who look for alternatives have no resources to turn to.
I wish you had brought up this point when the reorganization of the car rental forum was being considered. I don't think it makes sense to list every possible car rental company, but there should be a suggestion that other car rental companies that aren't explicitly mentioned can be discussed too.

However, I consider zip car and at least one other similar outfit to be different from car rental companies in that they're promoting car sharing by MEMBERS and strive to have cars scattered over certain areas so that you're not required to go to an agency to sign forms or at least pick up keys and the car, nor to return the car to some agency location.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

But there are people who use them as rental options, particularly when you travel to the same place frequently.

Perhaps that is a consideration. Are the boards only about increasing frequent flyer/renter benefits, or is it about travel advice? I think that comes up as a conflict more often than we think.

I don't frequent that forum, and only jump on in between or while I am multitasking on phone calls and web meetings. I can't check all posts all the time. Which is why I think organization needs to be clear, because searching through unorganized posts can be very difficult and threads get missed and repeated.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:11 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's easy for me to modify the description. I've now done so. Thank you for the suggestion.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:48 pm

But there are people who use them as rental options, particularly when you travel to the same place frequently.

Perhaps that is a consideration. Are the boards only about increasing frequent flyer/renter benefits, or is it about travel advice? I think that comes up as a conflict more often than we think.

I don't frequent that forum, and only jump on in between or while I am multitasking on phone calls and web meetings. I can't check all posts all the time. Which is why I think organization needs to be clear, because searching through unorganized posts can be very difficult and threads get missed and repeated.
IMO FT serves both purposes, although the travel advice is distinct, from TripAdvisor for example, because it's by and for genuine FFers, so the perspectives and orientations are different.

Often people argue against new fora based on the airline or whatever not having an interesting FF program. For instance, this has been said about Chinese carriers and some rental car companies, yet one could easily make the same argument about luxury hotels in many cases.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's easy for me to modify the description. I've now done so. Thank you for the suggestion.
Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.