Wiki Posts
Search

How do I search for a phrase?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2002, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How do I search for a phrase?

Putting the phrase in quotes does not work: searching the MilesBuzz forum for the phrase "in the", for example, returns nothing. Using single quotes also does not work.

I know there are two option buttons that cover the standard and/or search, but frequently searching for a phrase is the most useful.
Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:55 am
dan at WebFlyer

Yeah, I couldn't get it to bring back results on know phrases either.

We're looking at possibly replacing the UBB search with a third-party solution that works pretty nice overall. The downside is that since it's not built in to the UBB system, it can't search with the same constraints that the current one uses, such as searching by Forum, User and Date. It would search all Forums and return results for any page/thread on FT; basically function like

We haven't implemented it yet; we're just tossing the idea around first. The UBB search just doesn't handle our high volume of traffic well.

Old Sep 19, 2002, 2:59 pm

Is there any reason why you can't implement the new third-party search engine and still keep your old one at the same time? The old one could still be used for searches by username and forum, and the third-party engine could be used for global searching for a bound phrase. It sounds good to me, especially if the third-party solution would also include the ability to truncate, use wild cards, Boolean logic, and nesting. Does it?

Old Sep 20, 2002, 10:14 am
dan at WebFlyer

Good point... We'll take that into consideration.

Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:42 pm

Any update on this? I really like the accessibility of the search function (and the "search within this forum" shortcut). But having a bit more search power would be greatly appreciated. In particular, having access to a boolean-and search would be wonderful, and even better would be a phrase-based search (so "search this" returns only the full phrase "search this" instead of all threads containing either word "search" or "this"). This would be soooo helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.