Reload this Page >

Report FT SLOWNESS on this thread

Old Feb 24, 1999, 7:42 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL

FT seemed awfully slow this afternoon (even with my high speed cable connection). Just wondering if this could be caused by a lot of stock trading on the internet (there was a big selloff today)?

Going to keep my eye on this the next time we get a slow down.
Old Apr 12, 1999, 1:40 pm
Commander Catcop

Flyertalk loading and running slow

Maybe it's just me but Flyertalk has loaded slow and shifting from one screen to another after posting a message has been even slower.

Have you at WebFlyer had any computer problems monday afternoon?

Old Apr 12, 1999, 3:49 pm

Catman, this time, it is not just you. Today the site seems to be running slower than UA mileage statements.
Old Apr 12, 1999, 4:27 pm

And the lightbulbs are completely missing from my display. Anyone else? Or just me?
Old Apr 12, 1999, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been running fine, lightbulbs and all, for me all day today.
Old Apr 12, 1999, 5:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
the swiss are papmpered - no problems for us.
Old Apr 12, 1999, 5:22 pm

Rudi, and the Swiss are neutral too?

Old Apr 12, 1999, 5:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I repeat myself: neutrality, as we swiss understand it, means, that we wait to choose any partie's side, till we will know pretty sure who will turn out winning ..,
Old Apr 12, 1999, 5:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
I think someone burst one of their backbones today (oops -- techno-speak for the really big communication lines). I've had trouble on several different sites. Others, absolutely fine.

The weirdness of the wired world...

And for the record: I'm ALWAYS on Rudi's side. His Swiss chocolates are to DIE for...

So much for neutrality from me!

Old Nov 12, 1999, 3:50 pm

Slow page loading

I use a 56K modem and consistently connect at 48-52K.

The FT front page loads fairly quickly, but once inside the individual threads are very, very slow loading (as slow as 1K/sec. or less).

When I clicked on the Post New Topic button here, it took about 6-7 seconds to bring me to this screen.

I can have other pages open in the background or not, it doesn't seem to matter. Even pages with large graphic images seem to load much faster than FT lately.

Can anyone at FT help?
Old Nov 13, 1999, 2:07 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Shadow et al,

I've been having problems with outrageously slow page loading on and off all week (normal daytime business hours), but only when at work. Like you, the opening page loads promptly but I'm on a T-1. At home, usually at 28K the site is loading about the same as it did a month ago.

I'm not anything close to an expert on this stuff, but I wonder if my company's webserver was having DNS identification problems, due to the new URL? Anyone with some experience in this area, care to comment?

Craig

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 11-14-1999).]
Old Nov 13, 1999, 4:15 pm

Makes me feel better that it's not only me...I was afraid it was my computer/modem connection.
Old Nov 13, 1999, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I've been having this problem intermittently all week. I thought it was perhaps due to Internet congestion, since it doesn't occur late at night.

[This message has been edited by RichG (edited 11-13-1999).]
Old Nov 14, 1999, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TRUE! TRUE! TRUE! FT is the usually one of the slowest sites around. It seemed to have started about the time of "upgrade" to 5.0 or somewhat sooner. Unless you use Opera as a browser, you traded through-put for really ugly-color. If you use Opera, then FT is still slow but at least it is black on white.

Some of you seem to confuse the modem connection speed (usually 28k-56k) with the actual modem through put speed. The modem connection speed is the MAXIMUM speed (in kbits/sec) you can obtain, while through put is the ACTUAL speed of download or upload in kbytes/sec. At approx 9 kbit = 1 kbyte, a 48k connection will max out to 5.3 kbytes/sec. File transfer programs usually indicate this type of speed. A 56k modem is actually limited to 53k by the FCC.

Having said that, in Delaware I use a cable modem having an average connection speed of 1500 kbits/sec and average through put of 20-150 kbytes/sec. This is equivalent to a T-1 line and VERY FAST in the home WWW arena. Most sites download here at approx 25 kbytes/sec. For example, the NYT downloaded this am at 32 kbytes/sec. WOW!

FT, when it is actually working, usually is in the 1-3 kbytes/sec area. This is VERY VERY SLOW. In the famous words of G Gorden Liddy who I recently heard driving back from DCA, "It must be that cheap East German transmission crap the station is using".

Hopefully what I said above is correct and understandable by most if not all. If not, hopefully those who know this stuff will shine their lantern and correct it. I am not an electrical engineer nor a computer system analyst, nor do I play one in real life. Just trying to help.

Note to Randy P: IMHO the actual limiting problem is either with your local lines, your server or your software

[This message has been edited by MisterNice (edited 11-14-1999).]
Old Nov 14, 1999, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've not experienced any problems and I log on 4 to 5 times a day. Using Windows 95, Netscape 4.7 browser, connecting through AOL Net, 56K modem connecting at 46K. My second pages typically load at slowest of 3.3 kbs.

Are you using the new FlyerTalk server at:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forumcgi/Ultimate.cgi

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.