Wiki Posts
Search

Report FT SLOWNESS on this thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2000, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back to working fine now. Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2000, 6:07 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
...and I just thought it was cause I am in China!

Dorian
Old Feb 3, 2000, 12:13 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's not just the west coast. At the conference lounge in midtown Manhattan, the PC I was using was so slow yesterday at 5-6pm(seemed like over 1 min) that I thought it was locked up! I assumed it was just the public PC I was using. Glad its much better today.
Old Jun 1, 2000, 1:22 pm

Site slow?

For the last day or so, I've noticed that every time I try to access a page on FT, it takes about a minute, just lagging for a while before "clicking" and downloading the page.

I don't have this problem with any other Web site, so I wonder if something is going on?
Old Jun 1, 2000, 1:31 pm

I noticed it too... I'm on a cable modem, and the rest of the internet was fast as ever... However, this site was SLOW, Really slow...
Old Jun 1, 2000, 3:36 pm

In the past Wednesdays have been very slow because on Wednesdays WebFlyer releases its low fare lists and gets tons of hits.

I believe FT was recently moved to a new server to combat this program.

Regardless, I experienced no unusual problems yesterday, except that my laptop is always slow.

[This message has been edited by BostonBoy (edited 06-01-2000).]
Old Jun 1, 2000, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Early this morning it was impossible to post and last night was very slow. There definitely are problems with the server, since I am also on a cable modem.
Old Jun 1, 2000, 5:44 pm

Things seem to be working smoothly now. I'm on a T1, FYI.
Old Jun 11, 2000, 11:26 pm

Doing it again today! Anyone at FlyerTalk know what is causing this?
Old Jun 12, 2000, 3:27 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
no problems and still fast (cable-modem) from far-away Switzerland.
Old Jun 12, 2000, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Often when you notice Web slowness where it takes a minute before your browser "clicks" and starts downloading, the problem isn't with the Web server you are trying to access, but rather with the DNS server your computer is using. DNS is how hostnames (which are useful to human beings but less useful to computers) are translated into IP addresses. We find it easier to remember the hostname www.flyertalk.com, but computers find it easier to work with the IP address 216.167.74.244.

Usually you are using the DNS server of your Internet Service Provider. For example, I use PacBell DSL, and I've definitely noticed that ever since I started service in late May, I've been experiencing slow DNS servers on a sporadic basis. My connection is still alive and happy, and I know this since I have an interactive "telnet" session which is still alive and working just fine while my Web browser is sitting there waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Once it gets the IP address of the Web server I am trying to access, though, the actual Web page download is pretty speedy.

That's probably more information than those of you who aren't computer geeks really wanted to know....
Old Jun 12, 2000, 3:56 pm

I was having problems with no other web sites, and actually this seems to have stopped (well, maybe) in the last hour.
Old Jun 14, 2000, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It's Wednesday, and the site is slower than ever before. Thought you guys were working to fix this, to move your servers or something. Any hope to resolve this once and for all?
Old Jun 14, 2000, 9:49 am

See, I'm not the only one!
Old Jun 14, 2000, 9:53 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
So slow this afternoon it was timing out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.