Ad doing App Store hijack on iPhones -- PLEASE PROVIDE SCREEN SHOTS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold

One of your ad providers is doing App Store redirects, where it opens the App Store to some crap app. These types of ads are really, really uncool. Apple is fixing it in ios8 but someone should look into this because it means your mobile browser is on a blank page, ie you're no longer seeing FT and have to go back, and it's beyond annoying

ETA: here's the ad sever, happened again just now and I grabbed the URL doing the redirect. http://trck.ad-serving.co/jump/ and the app they are peddling is Shadow Kings

Last edited by ryan182; Sep 1, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:41 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by ryan182
One of your ad providers is doing App Store redirects, where it opens the App Store to some crap app. These types of ads are really, really uncool. Apple is fixing it in ios8 but someone should look into this because it means your mobile browser is on a blank page, ie you're no longer seeing FT and have to go back, and it's beyond annoying

ETA: here's the ad sever, happened again just now and I grabbed the URL doing the redirect. http://trck.ad-serving.co/jump/ and the app they are peddling is Shadow Kings
Yes, it stinks, but it's not us. The app store is open to this type of exploit. Until Apple changes it, this will happen on occasion.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 14, 2015 at 4:08 pm Reason: Add highlight
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Happening again. I've gotten hijacked over to the Lyft app in the App Store repeatedly in the last day, including twice in the last 3 minutes.

I get it's an Apple thing, but surely FT has some control or influence over its advertising partners and what kinds of ads may be presented on this site?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
Yes, it stinks, but it's not us. The app store is open to this type of exploit. Until Apple changes it, this will happen on occasion.
Oh, come on, that's true but FlyerTalk could switch to using reputable ad providers. This site has some of the most obnoxious adverts of any site on the Internet.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Ok seriously, this has happened 5 times in the last two minutes. Ironically, once as I opened this thread...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Ok seriously, this has happened 5 times in the last two minutes. Ironically, once as I opened this thread...
Frankly, I imagine FlyerTalk probably gets more money using sketchy ad providers than they would by sticking to legitimate, reputable ad providers.

Seeing it from their perspective, I don't totally blame them - it's a business decision - they see extra revenue. I have to ask, though, extra revenue at what cost? Is the FlyerTalk content compelling enough that everyone who wants it will just put up with the borderline malicious ads to get it? Or does FlyerTalk lose more traffic due to them than they gain in added revenue per visit? That's the question.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
I have just been redirected to some dodgy fake 'flash download' page.

I can provide the whole link, but it came from 'adsby.bidtheatre.com'

Sorry, just realised I posted to the wrong thread - this is a browser hijack, not app store
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by big_mac
I have just been redirected to some dodgy fake 'flash download' page.

I can provide the whole link, but it came from 'adsby.bidtheatre.com'

Sorry, just realised I posted to the wrong thread - this is a browser hijack, not app store
That's even worse. App Store hijacks are annoying, but those fake flash downloads are malicious. Same root cause though: allowing dodgy advertising partners to deliver ads on this site. FT clearly needs to clean up its advertising.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:08 am

Flyertalk is being almost unreadable lately. I keep being redirected to dodgy website while surfing from iPhone.
The only way to disable these ads to redirect is to disable JavaScript but then many website won't worl properly.

FT should prevent ads with JavaScript and that would solve all of these issues
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by maclover
Flyertalk is being almost unreadable lately. I keep being redirected to dodgy website while surfing from iPhone.
The only way to disable these ads to redirect is to disable JavaScript but then many website won't worl properly.

FT should prevent ads with JavaScript and that would solve all of these issues
Or, switch to a more legitimate ad provider that filters the ads they allow for spammy rubbish. But that wouldn't pay as well, I imagine.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back again.

Game of War - Fire Age
Some sort of Vegas slots app

When I get hijacked every couple page views, the result is that I stop viewing FlyerTalk. I can't imagine I'm alone in this, and I can't imagine that's a desirable outcome even if (or especially if) the primary driver is $$$.

ETA: Jelly Splash

Last edited by javabytes; Feb 28, 2015 at 3:01 pm
Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:16 pm

Same as above. Awful and unusable.

Editing this post I got bounced over to the App Store again. I'm out of here.

Last edited by thelark; Mar 1, 2015 at 6:16 am
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just happened on my ipad now. It is "paint monsters" which ever buyer that works out to be.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:11 pm

Site is unusable on iOS. Please fix this garbage.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:51 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
We've shut down a part of the ads that we believe is causing the app store hijack. Please let us know if it continues.

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.