Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Posting in threads >2 years old

Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Every now and then I've seen a moderator close a thread, referencing that threads older than 2 years shouldn't be reactivated, or language similar.

For the life of me, I've not been able to find that rule in the FT Rules or the FT TOS. Am I just having a blind moment, or is this just an unwritten rule?
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It used to be a published rule. Looks like they scrapped it in the recent revisions.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140328.../rules.php#q77
Old Aug 19, 2014, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. At least I don't need another eye check just yet.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 8:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That was indeed in the Rules, and said threads not posted to in two years' time (essentially) shouldn't be bumped unless the information was current and / or there was a "compelling reason" to do so.

A number of threads I've seen bumped up after two years of inactivity contain obsolete, out of date information; significant numbers get bumped by replies to very old posts or are very marginally pertinent to the original topic.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO it's a judgment call and the two year rule didn't make a lot of sense. I think people sometimes do it to avoid the "do a search" reaction.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO it's a judgment call and the two year rule didn't make a lot of sense. I think people sometimes do it to avoid the "do a search" reaction.
That's pretty much correct, IMO. Some threads are not problematic when the information is still current. Otoh some more recent threads may contain obsolete information.

This all makes a case for wiki posts (and moderators will often split threads cross-linking and archiving posts with outdated information (or bugle long mega threads that go back years).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.