Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Report spam / spammer post issues here (PLEASE read wikipost)

Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Best ways to report spam on FlyerTalk
The easiest way to report that kind of posted spam is by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function.

Next to every post is a widget (looks like a triangular road sign, white with red edges, enclosing a black exclamation point).

Clicking on pops up a message box; the message goes to all Moderators of a forum, or to the four Senior Moderators if there are no appointed Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc.

There's two Moderators here, and Admin and Tech are off weekends, etc. Nonetheless, we keep an eye on this thread, and we will take requisite action in due time.

Here are the best practices, as brought up by lo2e:
  • If it's multiple posts by the same person in the same forum, only one alert is needed. In your report, please notify the moderator there are multiple posts.
    • If it's multiple posts by the same person in different fora, one alert per forum is appreciated - it allows a more complete and quicker response.
      • If it's multiple users (same forum or not), alert all of them - it allows a more complete and quicker response.
        • For very dodgy or even dangerous spam (links to possible malware, etc.), I'd recommend sending a PM to the four Senior Moderators with a brief explanation of why you're contacting them.

They are currently (effective 2 November 2023) l etoile, NewbieRunner, Ocn Vw 1K, and JY1024.

Thank you,

Technical Support and Feedback forum Moderation Team

P.S. Certainly, we advise members to NEVER click on a URL link or call a telephone number provided in spam. Its likely there will be malware, and attempt to defraud or a pricey call-back scheme (particularly common from Caribbean numbers with 268, 284, 473, 664, 649, 767, 809, 829, 849 and 876 area codes).

Link to Archive of older posts

Print Wikipost

Report spam / spammer post issues here (PLEASE read wikipost)

Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:08 am

Not sure where to report this one - SPAM PM from whatsup25 "West African orphan who inherited lots of money ...blahblahblah" no virusy link or anything just an alternate email to respond to.

Is there a spot to report a PM?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:30 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
Not sure where to report this one - SPAM PM from whatsup25 "West African orphan who inherited lots of money ...blahblahblah" no virusy link or anything just an alternate email to respond to.

The stupidity of this person is that I a moderator on FlyerTalk received that private message as well.
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:21 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief

If you see bad PMs going out from a spammer, please report it to @IB_Villalobos, who can retroactively delete all PMs previously sent from an account. I'll take care of whatsup25 now.

Last edited by IBobi; Apr 24, 2019 at 4:09 pm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Using some variations of FT handles, this spammer has been disrupting ID Forum in the last two days (judging by posting style/pattern w/r/t sports) with 5 nonsense threads in a row :

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...ortsnewii.html

I've alerted forum MOD, thinking perhaps admin can take better care of this wave of spammer attack?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.