Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Why the time delay to report multiple bad posts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Why does FT require one to wait sixty seconds before being able to report a second bad post? For example when I notice through clicking on New Posts that someone is spamming multiple fora, when can't I just click to report the problem fast rather than being forced to wait to report the problems?

This feature seems to discourage responsible people from using the RBP icon appropriately.

If someone is using RBP inappropriately, there should be other ways for mods to deal with it.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:06 am
In Memoriam

I had the same thought.... the person posting about the fortune teller can get 22 posts in by the time I can RBP the second time.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:50 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I'm guessing its a s/w feature in the BB software itself and perhaps that is the default setting but maybe there are also options of say 15, 30 & 45 seconds (and personally, I'd like to see a shorter time period than 60 seconds)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It's probably a default setting, not solely related to RBP, and I think it's less than 60 seconds.

Sometimes when I'm organizing Dos I'll write a PM w/ details, then cut/paste it to send to individual FTers. Since cutting/pasting only takes a second or two, in addition to clicking on send new message, typing in a handle, it's a short period of time before I'm sending the next PM. But I'll get a message saying I need to wait (20, 4, 1, fill in the blank) before sending another PM.

Did it occur to you that the reason for the delay in RBP is to also prevent someone using that like a spammer would - ie, doing RBP in a rapid fashion?

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are, unfortunately, some few who would abuse the system by repeatedly using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function; the delay is one way of preventing this. Ten seconds is not much of a wait IMO, and if there are several posts that need moderator attention just mention that in the "AMP" message.

When you report a spammer, we have tools by which we can mass delete all the spammer's posts as we handle the spammer, so there's no need to report each one.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I didn't know that. In past when I've seen a spammer post in numerous fora I report all of them.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I didn't know that. In past when I've seen a spammer post in numerous fora I report all of them.
That certainly assures no spammer will fall through the cracks, and it doesn't really create much work for us. But we (senior moderators) can select and delete all of a spammer's posts across multiple fora as we "say goodbye" and generally do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.