Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: would like more polls with statistical summaries

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 1:06 am
rkv
Original Poster

Suggestion: would like more polls with statistical summaries

I'm a newbie to FT. I came here to research Rimowa luggage for which many here appear to be a fan. However, in reading posts its hard to get a completely accurate picture of how the various luggage work or holdup. Some speak of great experiences, some of terrible.

With respect to luggage, I think it would be helpful to have continuously updatable survey/poll where members could indicate which vendor (B&R, Tumi, Rimowa), product line, size: such as carryon, or checked baggage, has it been damaged, type of failure (body, hinge, latch, zipper), repairable, number of trips, would they buy again, do they recommend.

I believe surveys or polls in bulletin board speak are supported by the various bulletin board software. However, I have no detailed knowledge at to how easy or difficult they are to maintain. I've seen a few Polls on FT but it seems like they are not widely used. I also note that very frequently on FT the use of the word "poll" in the title does not necessarily mean it is a poll with voting and statistical summaries.

If people are worried that polls might pop to the top of the individual forums due to repeated updates, you could put all of the polls in a single forum. Thus no one would be bothered by them unless they wanted to see the survey or update the survey. I am aware that the authorities at FlyerTalk are reluctant to add new forums.

In most forums I frequently see very simple surveys. Less frequently cross tabbed results, that is a two dimensional presentation of results. Particularly, in the example I gave for luggage, two dimensional results might be more useful. Here too I'm not certain as to the difficulty or resources necessary to support such features.

There is a wealth of knowledge here on travel products and airlines. It would be nice to make it more accessible by presenting some high level statistical summaries of community sentiment. I think this would be very useful for products, particularly luggage in that we all have it, airlines, and frequent flyer programs.

That's it for my suggestion of the day. Thanks for reading.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:04 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If you have a specific poll you would like in the Travel Products forum, you are free to put together what you would want to exactly see... and share it with me.

I am more than willing to activate such a poll if I believe it would benefit the people who visit the forum.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Do polls require an evangelist to activate them? (i.e., we cannot create one ourselves?)
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:47 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Do polls require an evangelist to activate them? (i.e., we cannot create one ourselves?)
Only moderators have the software permissions necessary to set up polls. Contact the moderator for the forum where you'd like a poll and propose what you'd like to see. If you want a poll in a forum that does not have a named moderator, a senior moderator can help. We rotate a senior moderator in and out each year. This year, the four senior mods are l'etoile, prospero, jdiver, and oliver2002.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.