Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing

Issue: Posts by new members not appearing until they are approved by a Moderator, or "disappears".

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As you can well imagine, Flyertalk gets a LOT of spam - our spam protocols put any post by a new member containing an image or a web link into a moderation queue for approval. (This may sound imprecise to the reader, but we prefer not to state how many posts must be made before posts that meet the parameters for approval are not intercepted and sent to a moderation queue).

In fora with moderators, the moderation notification goes to the forum moderators; in fora without assigned moderators, the notification goes to all (four) senior moderators. As moderators are all volunteers, most of who also work and travel, it can take a bit of time - though our intent is to intervene as quickly as possible, in a forum with, say, one moderator, it can take time.

Posts from new members likely to end up in a moderation queue:

. . . • Posts containing a URL / web link
. . . • Posts containing a graphic image or IMG link
. . . • Posts containing certain key words
. . . • Posts quoting a post containing a web or image link
. . . • Posts quoting other posts with links
. . . • An approved post with link that gets edited

Ask a question, make a comment or make a reply without an included web link or image, your post will normally appear immediately. Once you have a few posts on FlyerTalk, you can include a web link or image without the post going to the moderation queue (of course, it's still subject to FT standards and being moderated).

We do apologize for this inconvenience, but we've found this helps identify and suppress hundreds of spam messages every month you never are subjected to because of the filters.

And if you come across a spam, misplaced or inappropriate post, we appreciate your notifying the Moderators by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function, by clicking on the button that appears at the left of every post.

Issue: My post has gone missing!

Posts may "go missing" for various reasons:

. . . • A post that was approved and cleared out of the moderation queue was edited - which will return it to the queue and "make it disappear"
. . . • Posts violating the Rules
. . . • Posts quoting or replying to post violating the Rules
. . . • Posts were moved to a more appropriate thread or forum (moved threads will leave a trailing link in the old forum)

You may contact the Moderators by using the Private Message system or by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function, by clicking on the image (red edged white triangle with exclamation point at the centre) that appears at the left of every post.

Moderator note instructions: Moderators can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:34 am

Approving My Posts?

I'm new here and I've never been on a forum where my posts need to be approved. Why is this?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:51 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

New members are subject to having their posts subject to moderator review as a control against individuals who disrupt the site via Spam messages. Please see the following thread for additional information:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...esnt-show.html
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:31 am
HMO

Welcome to FT!!!

My second or third post here had an embedded link, and it was flagged to wait moderation. They allowed it, and after that, I had the impression that the mods found me trustful, because I never had other message flagged!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:21 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Understand, the system is set to automatically flag post from members with few posts. If you use certain "flagged" words... or have links in your posts, you will most likely get moderated. We get notified and work to approve the post or take action if it is a spammer.

Note: If we approve your post, and you subsequently edit it in any way... it could get re-moderated by the system.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:36 pm
HMO

I didn't know it. Thanks for the heads-up ^
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Length to post thread

Hey guys,

How long does it take for a thread to get posted? To my understanding an admin has to accept the new thread before it can be posted (for some subforums?)

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
Hey guys,

How long does it take for a thread to get posted? To my understanding an admin has to accept the new thread before it can be posted (for some subforums?)

Thanks.
AFAIK this would only be for very new members, who also must have posts approved if they contain any links. Also AFAIK it doesn't depend on the forum, although there are a few fora that are not open to new members for various reasons.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK this would only be for very new members, who also must have posts approved if they contain any links.
To be more accurate, this should apply to any members with very low post count. That happens to include "brand new" newbies.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lin821
To be more accurate, this should apply to any members with very low post count. That happens to include "brand new" newbies.
Ah, ok perfect. Makes perfect sense - thanks guys.

As a continue, how many posts till the delay in posting is not present anymore for the newbie?

Last edited by MDFFlyer; Sep 17, 2014 at 12:00 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
how many posts till the delay in posting is not present anymore for the newbie?
Not that many. Just keep participating and contributing. The delay will be soon gone before you know it.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 8:24 pm
Set

Oops - to the mods

I'm new here, spent a while typing out a new thread, posted it but saw nothing, so tried again.

I might have done it 3 times before I noticed the message saying it has to go to moderation first.

So... sorry for that!

Would anyone know how long it takes till a thread is put up?

Can anyone help? It's been hours.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 3, 2014 at 7:27 am Reason: merge posts
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Set
Moderators are volunteers who do not have set hours to tend to forums.

There are several reasons why the discussion you posted has not yet appeared, including but not limited to:
  • The moderators of the forum to which you posted simply have not yet checked in to approve what you posted
  • You might have posted content which is not consistent with the rules which govern FlyerTalk, meaning that what you posted has not been — and probably will not be — approved
  • The content you posted might have been considered questionable, in which case the moderators might currently be discussing whether or not to approve it

To which forum did you post? Some forums are quiet and only have one moderator assigned to it; while other forums are busy and have several moderators assigned to it.

We can rule out the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles and Hilton | Hilton HHonors forums because at this time there is no content awaiting approval for those forums, of which I am one of the moderators.

If the content you posted is indeed legitimate for FlyerTalk, please be patient and await the approval of a moderator...

...and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Set
This is the existing thread that covers your concerns:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...esnt-show.html
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:02 am
Set

Thanks guys. It's up now. Was fully legal
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Set
Thanks guys. It's up now. Was fully legal
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.