Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Moderator must approve post / approval queue / my post doesn't show / is missing

Issue: Posts by new members not appearing until they are approved by a Moderator, or "disappears".

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

As you can well imagine, Flyertalk gets a LOT of spam - our spam protocols put any post by a new member containing an image or a web link into a moderation queue for approval. (This may sound imprecise to the reader, but we prefer not to state how many posts must be made before posts that meet the parameters for approval are not intercepted and sent to a moderation queue).

In fora with moderators, the moderation notification goes to the forum moderators; in fora without assigned moderators, the notification goes to all (four) senior moderators. As moderators are all volunteers, most of who also work and travel, it can take a bit of time - though our intent is to intervene as quickly as possible, in a forum with, say, one moderator, it can take time.

Posts from new members likely to end up in a moderation queue:

. . . • Posts containing a URL / web link
. . . • Posts containing a graphic image or IMG link
. . . • Posts containing certain key words
. . . • Posts quoting a post containing a web or image link
. . . • Posts quoting other posts with links
. . . • An approved post with link that gets edited

Ask a question, make a comment or make a reply without an included web link or image, your post will normally appear immediately. Once you have a few posts on FlyerTalk, you can include a web link or image without the post going to the moderation queue (of course, it's still subject to FT standards and being moderated).

We do apologize for this inconvenience, but we've found this helps identify and suppress hundreds of spam messages every month you never are subjected to because of the filters.

And if you come across a spam, misplaced or inappropriate post, we appreciate your notifying the Moderators by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function, by clicking on the button that appears at the left of every post.

Issue: My post has gone missing!

Posts may "go missing" for various reasons:

. . . • A post that was approved and cleared out of the moderation queue was edited - which will return it to the queue and "make it disappear"
. . . • Posts violating the Rules
. . . • Posts quoting or replying to post violating the Rules
. . . • Posts were moved to a more appropriate thread or forum (moved threads will leave a trailing link in the old forum)

You may contact the Moderators by using the Private Message system or by using the "Alert a moderator to this post" function, by clicking on the image (red edged white triangle with exclamation point at the centre) that appears at the left of every post.

Moderator note instructions: Moderators can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tim126
I am a new user, and tried to make my first post in Travel Product. After I submitted, i couldn't see what the page said because the words were too small on my phone, and the page quickly passed away. But my post wasn't shown up. Should i repost it?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

We have merged your question into the existing thread on this subject. Please read the wiki (expandable, at the top of this page) to learn more.

In the meantime, we will check for moderated posts you may have in the queue.

Ah, yes, over in Travel Products! Your post has been released and is now visible.

Moderators are all volunteers, and it's quite possible the forum Moderator is out enjoying the U.S. Labor Day weekend; we hope you are too!

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 6, 2015 at 3:49 pm
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
Hi,

This morning I posted in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ures-here.html - because it contained a couple of photos it was initially held for moderation. It was approved and appeared fairly quickly because a few other people commented on it.

However I edited it to correct some typos and I suspect it may have gone back into the moderation queue - but nearly 12 hours later it's still not re-appeared.

Please could someone check?

Thanks.

PS. Updated - post is now back. Many thanks

Last edited by PaulEaston; Oct 5, 2015 at 6:21 am Reason: Updated
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:49 pm

Why was my post deleted?

Why was my post deleted?
Did I violate a rule?

I thought I worded it well, and everything was truthful and posted in the correct section.

It was posted for a few minutes before it was removed.

The question was about United Airlines compensation and I posted it in:
FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus

I was asking what to expect as an offer from the Airline due to a very delayed flight so I could understand if what they offer me is in-line with the norm.

I could read others that posted information about getting compensated for their flight delays, so why was mine removed?

I've never had to deal with a 29 hr delay and an in-flight turnaround, so I have no idea if I should accept whatever it is they offer.

Should I just accept whatever it is and shut up?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It may be under review since you're new. Moderators often review new poster's first few posts to avoid spammers and people just looking to have people plan trips for them (not saying this is you)
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
You might want to contact a UA moderator

I see that your post was moved to the thread in UA "consolidated compensation etc" but when I click on the last page tour post is not there, even though the forum title shows it was there as of 11:21 AM , so it may be a glitch.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:46 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I have already alerted the UA forum moderators.

P.S. The post is visible now.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
It may be under review since you're new. Moderators often review new poster's first few posts to avoid spammers and people just looking to have people plan trips for them (not saying this is you)
Welcome to Flyertalk Steve Myers ^

As noted above, new member's first few posts are reviewed "prior to going live" and that's what happened with your post however, you then edited your post which in turn caused it to go under review again. I have approved the post so it is now visible. Sorry for the confusion and again, welcome to Flyertalk

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Steve Myers.

It sounds like your post has been resolved thanks to the efforts of fellow moderators ^

As this is about the technical side of posting, we'll relocate this query.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Steve Myers
Why was my post deleted?
Did I violate a rule?

I thought I worded it well, and everything was truthful and posted in the correct section.

It was posted for a few minutes before it was removed.

The question was about United Airlines compensation and I posted it in:
FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus

I was asking what to expect as an offer from the Airline due to a very delayed flight so I could understand if what they offer me is in-line with the norm.

I could read others that posted information about getting compensated for their flight delays, so why was mine removed?

I've never had to deal with a 29 hr delay and an in-flight turnaround, so I have no idea if I should accept whatever it is they offer.

Should I just accept whatever it is and shut up?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Steve.

We are sorry you had this problem, but your post, once made, was essentially made invisible and sent to a moderation queue for moderator approval; it was not deleted. please read the wiki post at the top of this page for further explanation.

You can see your post, approved by a UA - MP Forum Moderator, here.

In the future, the easiest and most appropriate way to handle deleted or missing post questions is to contact the moderators in the forum you posted in. If the forum has appointed moderators, their handles will be shown in the lower right area of the main forum page.

For greater ease or if there are no appointed moderators, use the "Alert a moderator to this post button by clicking on the button) that appears at the left of every post. This will pop up a form that allows you to send a message to all the appointed Moderators in that forum; if there are none, the message will go to FlyerTalk's Senior Moderators, responsible for moderating all fora without appointed moderators.

What we never do is discuss a post deletion - or any moderator action - in the public fora, as stated in the FlyerTalk Rules, here: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php

We hope your stay on FlyerTalk will be both rewarding and entertaining.

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 1, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:15 am

How many of my topics will have to be moderated before they are shown straight away?

I only come on here when I need specific help, and my first topic was moderated a few months ago, tried to post another now and same again.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by aldino
How many of my topics will have to be moderated before they are shown straight away?

I only come on here when I need specific help, and my first topic was moderated a few months ago, tried to post another now and same again.
It's not how many topics, it's how new you are.

It's an inconvenience, and we apologize, but you'd be amazed how much spam that requirement blocks.

It's more likely to be moderated if you have a link or an embedded photo, etc. in the post.

You'll soon be over where the spam blocking protocol will be a problem for you.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Is there some sort of new protocol for sending posts to moderators before being posted, for established members (7+ year member with 3,000+ posts)? No web links or anything odd embedded...just happened today and took me by surprise.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Is there some sort of new protocol for sending posts to moderators before being posted, for established members (7+ year member with 3,000+ posts)? No web links or anything odd embedded...just happened today and took me by surprise.
Was this a reply to a post or a new thread? Which forum was this in? Did your post include non-Roman alphabet characters?

We have had one or two reports of this occurring recently.

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
As part of our efforts to reduce the proliferation of spam in the forums, posts containing non-Roman characters are subject to quarantine and review by a volunteer moderator.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
Was this a reply to a post or a new thread? Which forum was this in? Did your post include non-Roman alphabet characters?

We have had one or two reports of this occurring recently.
It was this post, which in the quoted text from a prior poster, does contain non-Roman characters:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28030880-post47.html

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
It was this post, which in the quoted text from a prior poster, does contain non-Roman characters:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28030880-post47.html

Thanks!
Thanks for posting. Hangul will do that, as we've some very active spamming using Hangul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.