Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FT iOS app 1.4 discussion and feedback

NOTE: The app is not supported nor available through the App Store. The app will no longer work at all since the 28 March 2016 revisions to FlyerTalk.

FT iOS app (v. 1.4 is the most recent) is not currently available, nor is it supported. See IBobi's post, duplicated here:

Originally Posted by IBobi
It's not fixable. It's a core software functionality and can't be addressed at this time. We know what's causing it, and it would require a huge development effort for something that is essentially a minor, periodic annoyance. We'd much rather spend that time developing the new site features we're working on instead.

As to the App crashes, we are no longer supporting the app in its current form and have recommended using the full site on a mobile browser such as Safari or Chrome for the time being.

Thank you for your understanding.
Closing thread -- app is no longer functioning, and has not been available on app store for years nor supported by tech team.

Please use either the mobile skin or the full site on your mobile browser until such time as a new app is available. Thank you!
(This wikipost is locked and may be edited by moderators.)

Wikipost instructions: wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

FT iOS app v 1.4 [unavailable, unsupported, doesn't work post Mar 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
FT iOS app v 1.4 feedback

EFffffff.... This is isolated on my phone?

Forgot to mention, My phone was previously Jailbroken. Think it did something funny there?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:46 pm

Now, if only we can get this to happen to EVERYONE who visits Facebook...

But seriously, no idea on this one. Gotta be your end. Clear your cache?
Or an unrelated app somehow interfering with both apps.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

App keeps crashing when opening certain topics in tame and not tame OMNI

Also +1 to the other complaints
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

I just noticed this yesterday. What's up with that.? I hope there is a new iphone version release soon.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

Are any of the threads/topics which are causing your app to crash by any chance related to this subject as every single thread I try to access which is affected by "page boundary/phantom last page" issues cause my app to crash
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:20 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
If you can post links to the threads that are causing crashes I can ask them to look at it.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
If you can post links to the threads that are causing crashes I can ask them to look at it.
For me, it's every thread which I've posted about in the "page boundary errors" thread (sorry, but I'm on my phone so I can't copy all those links very easily ). And to add, it's easy to find these threads as every one where I click on the view first unread triangle in the forum listing the threads, it does not take me to the first unread post but rather the top of the page before the phantom page where I have to then click on the view first unread link at the top of the page
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:31 pm

Problem of subscription to a thread immediately dropping after posting to the subscribed thread still persists
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
Problem of subscription to a thread immediately dropping after posting to the subscribed thread still persists
Reported.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:35 am

Very pleasantly surprised to see that I can now actually read announcement posts on my iPhone ^ but.....

There are currently two site wide announcements-1 is a poll/survey and the other is about frequent business traveling and I opened up the poll/survey post and I was able to take the poll/survey but when I open the other announcement (frequent business traveling), it opens up the same survey announcement post
This still persists

Here's something I noticed using my iPhone 3GS-

On several posts, part of the last line of text in that post overlaps into the darker light blue area at the top of the post below it and sometimes overlaps the poster's handle and avatar
This also still persists

Another issue for me-when a post has a web page in it, in the past I would select the post which would open that post so I could click on the link which in turn would open the link in safari. Now when I click on the link, I get a blank page within the ft app itself with my only option being a back button. Mind you, I much prefer the link to open within the app vs safari but it doesn't work

Also, anyone else noticing a "null" thread in various forums?
And this one also still persists and of the 3 "persistances" I just noted, this is the most annoying as to access the link, I have to leave the app and switch over to the web version to get the link to open
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:51 am

This still persists

This also still persists

And this one also still persists and of the 3 "persistances" I just noted, this is the most annoying as to access the link, I have to leave the app and switch over to the web version to get the link to open
To reiterate, the app is not something we can fix piecemeal, like the site itself. It's on a completely separate upgrade path, and we expect a lot of these issues to be fixed on the next release of the app. I do not have an estimated release date at this time though, I'm sorry to say.

Paul
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
To reiterate, the app is not something we can fix piecemeal, like the site itself.
Why is that? IB owns the app. IB can do whatever it wants. There is nothing inherent in the app development process that requires such long lead-times between revisions. Apple is approving app updates faster than ever before. You can submit a new app every week if you want.

If IB is developing the app in-house, then one of your managers needs to light a fire under the development team or hire some additional staff. If IB is not developing the app in-house and is subcontracting out, it sounds like IB needs to negotiate a better arrangement with its subcontractor or fire the subcontractor and find one who will do a better job responding to our pretty basic demands.

The ball is entirely in IB's court. I understand there are valid reasons the app development is lagging, and I understand it's probably not under your (Paul's) department, but they are not reasons that cannot be overcome by IB if IB were willing to commit the resources. This is strictly a business decision on the part of IB to reduce expenses by limiting the resources they are committing to the development of their products, nothing more.

Last edited by jackal; Aug 21, 2013 at 11:14 am Reason: Missing "if" and expansion of point
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Why is that? IB owns the app. IB can do whatever it wants. There is nothing inherent in the app development process that requires such long lead-times between revisions. Apple is approving app updates faster than ever before. You can submit a new app every week if you want.

If IB is developing the app in-house, then one of your managers needs to light a fire under the development team or hire some additional staff. IB is not developing the app in-house and is subcontracting out, it sounds like IB needs to negotiate a better arrangement with its subcontractor or fire the subcontractor and find one who will do a better job responding to our pretty basic demands.

The ball is entirely in IB's court. I understand there are reasons the app development is lagging, and I understand it's probably not under your (Paul's) department, but they are not reasons that cannot be overcome by IB if IB were willing to commit the resources.
^^^ and I couldn't agree more!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC

Plus quite a number of issues came with the new version, apparently testing before releasing was not at the top of the priority list ...
Old Aug 28, 2013, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
I do not have an estimated release date at this time though, I'm sorry to say.
Dude. Seriously. You guys need to get your stuff together and fast. I haven't used the app since the last update because it is BEYOND FRUSTRATING to navigate thru all of the blank space below quoted posts.

On July 12 you said updates were going to be coming every 6-8 weeks. Well, we are already into the 7th week. Tick tock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.